Keto not for everyone?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #21

I like Chronometer. You can use pre-set Keto settings or customize it any way you want to.

(Championsidewinder) #22

I hate Cronometer it sucks big time

(Empress of the Unexpected) #23

Why do you hate it?

(Championsidewinder) #24

Cause I tried it and just too confusing and inaccurate as hell

(Charlotte) #25

Keto really isn’t complicated at all. Here is what has worked for me (I’ve lost 48 pounds since March, feel great, have more energy, my A1C has dropped nearly 3 points, etc):

1. Count carbs, and keep them under 20g net carbs per day. Once you have a sense for how many net carbs things have, you can switch to just keeping a rough count in your head, and shooting to stay well under 20g, as you’ll likely consume a couple more than you realize.

2. Don’t count anything else. Eat when you’re hungry, and eat until you’re full. Drink lots of water. If you can, restrict your eating to an 8 hour window (or a 12 hour window, or a 4 hour window–whatever works for you). When you do eat, stick mainly to healthy fats, meat, leafy greens, eggs. Pay attention to how foods make you feel, and don’t go over the top with things like heavy cream and cheese.

3. Be patient. I lost weight at a snail’s pace in the beginning and had some stalls, but then one day, like I’d flipped a switch almost, everything started really moving. I could go longer and longer without eating and not be hungry, and the weight just started falling off with what felt like zero effort.

That’s it. Literally. I barely even think about food anymore, except to read nutrition labels when necessary. I don’t stress over numbers, and I’m not spending a ton on groceries.

Some people like getting into the weeds with it all, but keto really can be unbelievably simple for those of us who prefer it that way.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #26

Yes, great advice. And again, it didn’t really start happening for me until about 10-12 weeks.

(Charlotte) #27

Oh, and this was probably implied, but ditch the tracker. Don’t worry about calories unless you find yourself gaining weight, in which case it could be helpful to track them for a bit to see if that’s an issue. I can’t tell you how liberated I felt when I stopped tracking, weighing and measuring everything.

(Championsidewinder) #28

My friend bob would say the same thing that it’s not complicated but it is because no matter what I try nothing seems to work and most of my friends have no idea what fat adapted is they figure they are ok if they are in keto with pee stick, I said do you get ketone bad breath or lots of energy? They say no what is that, I understand how this crap works, I just have nobody to help me in my town, cause this online info just doesn’t help, so many confusing calculations I’m just pulling my hair out wondering what to do :man_shrugging:t2:

(Charlotte) #29

Stop doing the calculations. Stop doing the pee sticks. Stop worrying if you’re in ketosis. Just keep your carbs under 20g net, eat the keto friendly foods I advised above, and don’t do anything else. See how you feel after a month.

(Championsidewinder) #30

Ya right I tried not tracking what I eat and I just ended up not eating enough protein or too much fat or not enough of something or whatever, I cannot do that, I need to make sure I’m getting everything I need like potassium and sodium and other stuff, just can’t go in blindly

(Championsidewinder) #31

I don’t test pee every day

(Championsidewinder) #32

And because I have bph I pee more often than other ppl, so I need more sodium more often and other electrolytes like potassium

(Championsidewinder) #33

And I got a kidney stone years ago from taking calcium, and I’m lactose intolerant but I need calcium so I eat some cheese

(Championsidewinder) #34

(Charlotte) #35

I mean, I’ve been doing keto the way I described for over 6 months and it’s going well. To make sure you’re getting enough potassium and sodium, you can make ketoaide very inexpensively (I flavor mine with lime juice and a bit of stevia and drink 2 of them each day) and take a good multivitamin and that should do it. Don’t worry about eating the “right” amounts of protein and fat, just pay attention to how you feel. Some days I eat more protein/fat, some days less, but it’ll generally even out over the course of the week. If you’re not getting enough of something, your body will likely crave what it needs.

But what works for me may not work for you, of course. If you feel strongly that simplified keto is just “going in blindly,” but you find tracking frustrating to the point that you’re “pulling your hair out”, then…I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not really sure what a good third option might be, other than trying something other than keto that might be less frustrating and more sustainable for you.

(Championsidewinder) #36

The whole reason for me coming on this site and using an tracking app is because my friend bob told me not to keep track of food I ate and just eat, but that didn’t work I just ended up more frustrated trying figure out why I get keto flu through out the whole 10 weeks on keto, if I don’t get 8g of sodium a day I get dizzy and get a headache

(Empress of the Unexpected) #37

I eat broccoli and also a salad of leafy greens and spinach. The spinach takes care of the leg cramps.

(Championsidewinder) #38

Now I’m out of chicken broth need to go buy more, 1600 mg per serving and this is the most costly diet ever, I only eat organic no toxic gmo

(Championsidewinder) #39

I found that cauliflower is best, low sugar high potassium

(Championsidewinder) #40

But it’s nearly impossible to hit 4700mg of potassium and stay under 20 net grams of carbs per day