Keto not for everyone?

Hi there, I’ve been keto for several months and just can’t seem to feel well on it. I was hoping to gain some insight from people who know of others who keto truly does not work for. I have tried playing around with countless variations of increasing and decreasing fat and protein macros and just dont feel optimal. Some of the things I do feel on keto after several months is a general lethargy, weight gain, a feeling of depression, heavy after meals and a general decline in overall feeling of well being. It seems that I hear nothing but positive life changing testimonies and I guess Im looking for other individuals who found that keto simply was not optimal for their bodies/metabolic homeostasis. Thank you

(Whitney ) #2

I’m sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. Definentely the opposite should be happening on Keto. You may wanna search Eric Berg on YouTube. He has a ton of excellent videos that go into this topic and may give you some insight on the matter. Please don’t give up.

(Michael ) #3

That sucks. Not every person is the same. Many of us damaged our bodies for decades so reactions vary. I will say that what you’re describing is reminiscent of getting too much protein. Maybe check macros and increase fat. Some people feel better with different macros.

I started the Keto woe on Oct 1st. Up until a few weeks ago, I felt as you do. I was losing weight fairly steadily, but my well-being was not optimal. I was lethagic, not really depressed, but not happy either. The only reason I stuck with it was because I was losing weight. Plus I was diabetic and my levels were getting better.

I was low on sodium. Because keto is so diuretic, we lose a lot of this nutrient. I had to up my sodium by a lot! After being told most of my adult life to limit salt, it was hard for me to do that at first. I now strive for at least 4000mg/day. I try to reach 5000mg but it’s hard. I like salt, but sometimes it gets a little too salty for me. So I’ve been learning how to increase sodium. Which foods are highest, etc. Try upping your sodium if it’s low. At least for a week before you give up on Keto. Then if you are still feeling depressed/etc, start increasing your carbs, but slowly. Healthy carbs. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon! Nobody should have to feel like that!

(Michael ) #5

I’ve had to add salt too. I sometimes just put it straight under my tongue to get it over with so I’m not drinking salt water every day. It will definitely wake you up and get the day moving. Next best thing to a swig of ACV

Sweet! I’ll try that…sucking on pink salt rocks! I’ve been just adding it to food, and sometimes I don’t want my food to taste salty! Thanks Mike!

(Ken) #7

It’s pretty tough to offer suggestions without knowing what you’re eating. Can you post a typical day of food, including macros? Also, what are your goals? Are you overweight and concerned with fat loss? Do you currently have health issues?

(Dan Dan) #8

To better help you if you could give us your macros and a typical days meals and feeding window :thinking:

(Michael ) #9

Like i said, it’s not for the faint of heart. I was an alcoholic for a decade so my tolerance for strong substance intake is not always a good suggestion for others. But, if it works for you, awesome

(Brian) #10

This!! Without knowing more about you, what you’re eating, and a bunch of little stuff, most anything we could suggest here is a real shot in the dark.

There are some people, from what I’ve heard, that really just do not do well on a keto diet. I know of one such person that appears to be thriving well on a vegan HCLF diet. Her husband, however, is struggling as he is convinced that the HCLF vegan diet is healthy but yet he is NOT thriving.

I suspect there is a significant genetic component at play in how well we thrive on a particular diet. Unfortunately, one size doesn’t fit all. It would be so much easier if it did.

I hope you figure out what’s going on and you can find your path to good health, whether that’s a variation of keto or not.

:slight_smile:

Great to hear such a rally of advice because I want more than anything to maintain this keto lifestyle. I am a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to adherence to diet when I believe in it. I am such stickler when it comes to proper electrolyte intake and caloric needs in order to optimize weight loss. I enter all of my snacks and meals in my fitness pal on the daily and just cannot shake the feeling that there is something in my DNA that simply cannot accelerate towards homeostasis on a ketogenic diet. Yes, this is disheartening. Nonetheless here is an example of a typical day of eating:

Breakfast- 2 sausages, 2-3 eggs cooked in butter

Snack- bullet proof coffee (1tbsp each) butter, mct oil,Hwc

Lunch- leafy salad (ham or chix,hard boiled eggs, avocado,bacon, cheese, 2 tbsp zero carb dressing)

Dinner- ground beef or steak( usually rib eye) cooked in skillet with butter and will usually fry up some kale in the remaining butterbin the skillet.

As Im sure quite a few of you know, I have no need to snack because of the awesome satiety of keto and as a side note I fear that Im starting to also experience some degree of inflammation post meals. This, by far, is definitely the most alarming…

(Ken) #12

Since you’ve been keto for several months now, and are clearly now experiencing negative metabolic effects, I suggest experimenting with some periodic Carb intake. Don’t worry, what I suggest will not enable any lipogenic adaptations that would cause you to regain fat.

First, try “flipping your macros” on the weekends. Eat carbs instead of fat. Use carbs you are comfortable with, such as fruits and other simple carbs. You can use complex carbs if you want to, as long as they don’t cause you to be uncomfortable, such as bloating, etc. You’ll have to experiment. You’ll experience a degree of water weight gain, (water, glycogen, or both) but it’ll go away after a couple of days back in keto. Try this a couple of times to see if your condition improves. The next step would be full glycogen recompensation, adding an additional amount of carbs in, usually a full days worth of carories in carbs over a 24 to 36 hour period.

When you go back into a lipolytic pattern on Monday, try not to consume excessive salt for a couple of days in order to get a more accurate reading on the scale. Extra salt can easily cause you to retain several pounds of water weight.

(Dan Dan) #13

By your example you have high protein and virtually no low carb veggies both will cause your symtoms :thinking:

Vitamin b5 k2 D3 potassium Omega3 Fiber and a good multivitamin-mineral (or eat lots of low carb veggîes and some avocados and fish)

Lower your protein and insulin by eliminating breakfast and snack.

also try apple cider vinegar with each meal

Just adding Vitamin b5 you would feel so much better :grin:

I agree with Dan, I see too few greens in your meals. Plus, did you run a recent thorough blood work (since in ketosis?). Do you test for urine or blood ketones?

(Championsidewinder) #15

Same here, keto sucks, nothing works, I don’t think I will ever become fat adapted

(Charlotte) #16

I wonder if you have a food sensitivity you may be unaware of, like dairy or tree nuts, or a particular type of meat perhaps? Maybe try an elimination diet within the keto framework to see if that makes a difference. Are you eating enough vegetables? Too many vegetables? Are you eating a lot of low net carb but high total carb foods (like low carb wraps, etc)? Some people need to count total carbs to feel the benefits, and you could be one of them. Also, if you feel that you can do it, fasting can help sort out some underlying health issues that may be contributing to feeling unwell. And before you give up, I do recommend at least a period of not counting your macros or tracking your calories–just make sure you stay under your carb limit and focus on tuning into your hunger cues (as opposed to “I would enjoy the experience of eating right now” cues), and eat the least processed food you can manage. That’s where the magic really started to happen for me.

Ultimately, though, if you try the above and still feel terrible, maybe keto isn’t for you. I have friends who feel amazing and energized on a vegan diet, for example, when all it did for me was make me fatigued and constantly ravenous. If you don’t start feeling better, try a different whole-foods-based diet and see how that makes you feel.

(Championsidewinder) #17

I use this carb manager app but not sure if it’s set up right, I changed micros to this, and I might be allergic to something but not sure, this stupid keto diet is just too complicated

(Championsidewinder) #18

I have tried every diet there is and vegan ain’t it, I just want to follow an app and not have to think about everything so much, I am so frustrated right now and I’m adhd but can’t get meds no more, I started this stupid diet because I didn’t know what else to do, as I tried everything else, :pensive:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

20 grams of carbs or less. You have to start out that way. After you are fat adapted you can try to add in more.

(Championsidewinder) #20

Yes, but this stupid carb manager app won’t let me set net carbs at 20, only 26 or 16