Keto noob,Day 3, questions!

Hi guys, great info around here!

Recently came across Keto diet and it makes a lot of sense to me so decided to try it out.
First some background, I am 32, 6’ 3", 242lbs. 18 months ago I was at about 265lbs and went on a restricted calorie diet and dropped ~30lbs in about 2 months, since than I hovered around 235-250lbs mostly because of lack of motivation to really stick to a diet. When I came across Keto I got the motivation back and can look sugar and carbs in the eye and say NO! easily :slight_smile:

I woke up Monday at around 246.6lbs, today I am at 242.lbs, had no direct carbs at all, directly switched to two meals a day with the intention to go one meal a day when in ketosis.
I am feeling a bit weird since yesterday, not too bad, just a bit weird, not sure how to articulate it, its not really headache, maybe brain fog, maybe pressure in head… but today its better.
I am pretty sure I don’t eat enough fat, here is my daily meal plan so far:
Breakfast:
Glass of water with lemon and apple cider vinegar.
Lunch at noon:
One cup of beef tongue broth with gelatin.
Piece of slow cooked beef tongue, not sure exactly how much, maybe 100g.
Salad with lettuce, tomato, chia seeds, olive oil and avocado.
Dinner at 18:30:
Cauliflower, roughly two cups.
Celery, radish, green onions, maybe another avocado.
Maybe some salmon.

Planning to add MCT oil (ordered) and Himalayan salt to what ever i can.
Also I am taking multi vitamin, coq10, magnesium, turmeric fish oil and electrolytes.

I drink one or two cups of espresso, one before lunch one after, and plenty of water.

I am not very hungry, no issues skipping breakfast or not having late snacks, I don’t eat any snacks outside of the meals.

I am not very good with calculating carbs\fat\protein and I think I might be low on fat and maybe high on protein?
Also I am a bit limited as far as food prep as I leave home at around 10am and back from work at around 8pm so all my eating is at work and dinner on the way back home in the car.

To increase fat I am planning to add fattier meats for lunch, maybe chicken thigh, or wings and bacon. Also see how keto coffee holds up if I make it at around 9-10 and drink cold at around non before lunch as I don’t want to break the fast before that.

Oh yeah, my goal is to drop weight, probably around 40-50lbs and normalize my blood pressure as it now at around 135-150/~80.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

(Candy Lind) #2

SALT. If you’re eating enough (with enough fat), you need 4-5 grams of salt a day. If you feel foggy, put some salt in your hand and lick it off, then drink some water. Repeat every 30 minutes until the fog lifts.

YES. I didn’t find any really generous fat source at all in your food list. You should be adding fat to everything. Butter, ghee, heavy cream, cheese (straight or as s sauce), sour cream, olive oil, coconut oil, low-carb full-fat salad dressings - find places to fit them in.

Yes, it’s a long day, but if you’re committed to give this a go, you’ll have to plan better. You might want to think about doing all your meal prep on the weekend so you can just grab & go during the week. Keep it really simple at first, and eat foods you like. Just add fat.

Maybe salmon?? Cut the cauliflower in 1/2 if you’re doing a salad. Avocado, good. Where’s the dressing? Salmon, good - with lots of butter or some kind of fatty sauce. That lunch was likely not enough protein for a big guy like you, and you need to add fat EVERYWHERE.

Fattier meats - good plan. Chicken, even thighs or wings, is not fatty enough. Add butter or buffalo sauce or mayo. If you are just having Keto Coffee in the morning, it won’t have much insulinogenic effect at all, so why not drink it when you get up? It might extend your time without significant carb intake - it does for many. If you just really don’t want to drink it early, hit it with an immersion blender (or a bullet, whatever) so it will stay emulsified, then ice it down for a creamy treat with lunch.

To sum up - MORE FAT. Bacon & eggs is good any time. But go easy on the MCT when it arrives - it gives some people gastric issues and it’s not mandatory. Search these forums and other keto sites for meal plans to help you stay ahead of the game. We’re here to help any way we can. KCKO!

(Rob) #3

Do not feel guilty about motivation or other BS. No normal human should be motivated to constantly calorie restrict, always fighting their body and beating it into an unhealthy submission. Calorie restriction always works to begin with but as your body constantly adjusts its energy levels to meet the inputs, you either have to keep restricting more and more and/or doing the same with extreme exercise. Nobody ain’t got time fo dat! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Keto is the opposite, eat til full, raise metabolism with more food and then use exercise for fitness and body recomposition, not weight loss. Motivation is much easier when the plan isn’t designed to fail after a short time and keep you miserable.

Good luck!!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

I can confirm with MCT Oil… build your dose up.
I had 45g in my first Bulletproof coffee and my first trip to the bathroom was not pleasant, so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback and tips!

I think the feeling is gone today, at least in the morning. Down 3 lbs compared to yesterday morning and BP down to 132/80.

Adding more fat today in the form of eggs and cheese. Will also try making bulletproof coffee and having it before lunch.