Keto newbie 1 week

(Andrea) #1

I’ve been on Keto a week and have lost 8 lbs. but this week I have been beyond exhausted. Started feeling really hungry day 5 and on and today is day 7 and when I stand up, I get severely dizzy and it takes several seconds for that to go away. I exercise daily and been keeping my calorie intake under 1000. Should I worry about the dizziness and sleeping troubles and lethargic feeling? I don’t want to ruin my health

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2
  1. that’s WAY too low of calories. It’s no wonder you’re hungry. You’re starving yourself. You don’t need to do that on Keto and you shouldn’t do it as it will wreck your metabolism and lower your BMR.
  2. the dizziness is due to your electrolytes being off kilter (and possibly enhanced by too little food). Get some salt right away when this happens. You will feel better in a matter of minutes. And then make sure you’re getting enough water with sadium, magnesium and potassium in your diet.
  3. keeping your electrolytes will help some with the lathargic feeling, but probably not completely. Your main fuel source was carbs. Since you’re not giving your body carbs anymore, it’s producing ketones. So you’re in ketosis, but your not fat adapted yet. It takes 6-8 weeks for your body to really know what to do with those ketones. Imagine it as a fuel tank with a hole in it. Your giving it fuel but it’s just leaking out and you’re not able to go as far. You will gradually feel better over the next few weeks, but you’re going to have low energy days. Take it easy and resist any urge to add carbs to offset it, or the 6-8 weeks will become 10-12 or more.

But please, for the sake of your health, find some bacon or eggs or both and eat more. Lots more.
:bacon::fried_egg::bacon::fried_egg::bacon::fried_egg:

(Andrea) #3

Thank you for the great tips!!! I’ll get some Gatorade in me! I am going to have to gonoffnof it next week for about a week because I will be on vacation and it will be very difficult. And it will be difficult once my husband gets back in town, he will not like date night with me :confused: will I be able to modify and pick back up? Or is it all of nothing?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

If youre not fat adapted, it could be like starting back over again if you have a big cheat.

You could just order a nice steak, get steamed veggies in the side like broccoli and add a bunch of butter. Go for the real stuff, no margarine.

Also, Gatorade is a sugary mess. Even the lower sugar Gatorade is a bunch of artificial sweetners with very little electrolyte replenishing abilities. That’s why we do ketoade. And it’s really cheap to make.

(Vivienne Clampitt) #5

Agree, it wasnt until I got my head around eating loads more fat that keto started working for me! And it took around 6-8 weeks before I felt fully comfortable with keto. I am still learning after 3 months+ and dont feel as though I am fully there yet.
I think a little patience is needed and to take as much advice from this forum as possible - some great information here.

(Frank) #6

All the stuff Annie says as well as maybe backing off on the workouts. You’re already stressing your body by changing fuels. Eat more move less. Get your electrolytes and for heavens sake never drink Gatorade.

(Andrea) #7

Thank you so much!! How do you make the ketoade?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8