Keto mediterranean diet

(Jo) #1

hi guys,
I had a visit with my nutritionist on Tuesday, to discuss my blood work. One of the things we tested was my APOE status. Turns out I am an E3/E4. Yea. bummer, but not unexpected because both heart disease and alzheimers are in my family. It’s actually a miracle that I don’t have both E4s.

So she suggested i modify the KETO diet with less saturated fat, as there is some science out there that seems to suggest E3/E4’s don’t do well digesting sat fats. She recommended marrying the Mediterranean diet with the KETO WOE to get the best benefits from both. This means less fatty meat/cut down on the dairy and increase fatty fish, more green leafy veggies and Increase monounsaturated fats and fiber with olive oil, avocado oil, avocado, olives, nuts and seeds. I would still keep my macros the same (75% fat, 15-20% protein and 5-10% carbs)

So goodbye bacon and pork chops! Hello salmon and mackerel!

Is anyone doing this and would you have any tips or tricks to offer?

(Jo) #3

Thanks for the link. I had already found and read that entire thread. My question is different, I’m looking for people who are doing a Mediterranean version of KETO with monounsaturated fats in stead of the bulk of the saturated fats, but still staying in ketosis. Am looking for tips and tricks and to hear how well that worked.