Keto Macros

(Jeff) #1

Hello everyone, I’ve been following the Keto diet for the past few years. I normally go look for recipes from Maria Emmerich, but one day on her facebook page she posted a link to a Keto Macro calculator.

So I’ve always followed the 80% fat 15% protein and 5% carb macro rule. But according to the calculator it says (after uploading my info) that i should eat 137 fat 108 protein and 10 carbs. This blew my mind because it seems like a 60% 55% 5% macro style.

So my question is are these macros correct? or is the 85, 15 and 5 style better?
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-calculator/

27292960_10159934308295574_906125408_n

(Rob) #2

Remember the macro % are calories and the calculator is giving you grams. Fat is 2.25x as calorie dense as protein/carbs. The calories would be Fat - 1233, Protein 432, Carb 40 - 1705 calories in total. That would be 72% fat calories, 5% Carb and 23% Protein - much closer to the 80/15/5

(Jeff) #3

Oh god, you see right. Such a rookie mistake I made lol. My mistake. Thank you for your input

(Sarah ) #4

That’s great that you be been doing this for so long. I’m assuming you are healthy. It’s funny that, in your case, chasing numbers turns out to be a problem where none existed before.

(Jeff) #5

Since starting the diet I’ve noticed various health improvements, mainly being energy throughout the day. It was disheartening that I saw a true voice for the keto community suggest off keto advice but it appears it was my misunderstanding. It becomes trouble some when other people want to cook and buy food for you who dont understand the change in diet.

(Rob) #6

We never stop learning in Keto - because the science is always emerging and our own experimentation never ends!