Keto Is This Easy

(Susan) #47

That is the only one I have used, I have been doing Keto for over a year, and I use the free version, and it works great for me. I love FREE as I am on a very tight budget =).

(UsedToBeT2D) #48

I have Carb Manager. Like it.

(J) #49

Dear Gingersmommy, I hope you don’t mind that I bookmark your comment. I am gathering imformation on how to eat keto properly, to try different things to see what works! Everyone is sharing their experiences here, so inspiring! Have a good day :):smile:

(Marianne) #50

Please do - whatever you find helpful to you.

Good luck on your journey!

(Shannon) #53

This post was so helpful. Thank you. I’m so glad to have found this forum. I’ve been educating myself as much as possible, mostly with Dr. Ekberg videos, but I find myself over thinking it,. I only started four days ago, so just a keto baby, but I absolutely plan to make this a long term lifestyle change, most likely for life as far as I can tell, and so I want to get it right while also doing it in a way that is easy to stick with. Anyway, thank you for laying out the basics and letting me know it doesn’t have to be complicated.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

Welcome to the forums, and good luck on your keto journey!

(Susan) #55

Welcome to the forum; Shannon =)! Please feel free to make an introductory post so more forum members see you and can welcome you here as well. Also -if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Best wishes in your Keto adventures =).

(Shannon) #56

Thank you, Susan. :slight_smile:

(Joe) #57

I’m 6ft2 275 lbs I’ve been logging everything I eat on a carb manager, which is really helpfull.
My question falls for concern. For ex. the past few days I’ve done well with low calorie 1592g carbs 22g but my fat is always lower than my protein
Fat 88g protein 144g. Is this bad for keto when this happens, will I go into ketosis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #58

You will go into ketosis as long as you keep your carb intake low. We recommend an upper limit of 20 g/day, because that works for everyone but people who are severely insulin-resistant. In terms of calories you are still getting more fat than protein, because 88 g of fat is 792 calories, but 144 g of protein is only 576 calories. Fat contains approximately 9 cal/g, whereas protein contains approximately 4 cal/g.

(Joe) #59

Thanks

(Marianne) #60

For a someone your height, I think 1600 calorie is low. If this occurs naturally from time to time and you feel satiated with your meals, that is fine. I wouldn’t make a point, however, of counting calories and keeping them that low. You want a way of eating that is sustainable to you for the long run.

Keto isn’t about calories in/calories out, although some here would argue that. When I first started, I put more stock in getting close to my fat and protein macros, as a guide, than I did on calories. High fat foods are usually calorie dense, however, that seems to be a low impact. The key is to keep your carbs under 20g/day and less if you can.

(Erika Mills) #62

Thank you for this.
I came to keto the long way—via Dr. Jason Fung and his book, The Obesity Code (which was a complete fluke, ask me about it sometime :slight_smile: )
So I started with fasting then learned through research that without keto to compliment it, I was making fasting that much harder on myself. But I did see fast weight loss and radiant skin. After decades of suffering from adult acne, I was hooked.

I’ve only been TRULY keto for about 2 weeks. I feel kind of like hot garbage still despite losing 15 lbs and reducing PMS and cramping that comes with my monthly menstrual cycle.

I can’t wait to get to fat adaptation <3 I could use the mental clarity and the energy boost. I remember that feeling —before I trashed my metabolism with drastic calorie reduction and Spartan Race training regimen.

Thanks for this forum, all, especially thanks to Richard Morris and Carl Franklin.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #63

Just Keep Calm and Keto On (KCKO), as we say. It sounds as though you are doing fine. Welcome to the Ketogenic Forums.

(Susan) #65

Welcome to the forum, Erika =).

(Butter Withaspoon) #66

Hi Erika and welcome! I loved your comment about Radiant skin! It’s so good to celebrate the wonderful stuff! Congratulations on results so far. If the keto is helpful with some of your issues then most likely it’s worth continuing. Everyone’s tolerance for carbs is different but just about everyone gets into ketosis with less than 20g per day. You can reduce carbs at once, or get there more gradually. You’ll feel better once adjusted. Read the advice here and listen to old eps of 2 Keto Dudes.

(Tracy Cooper) #71

Thank you for this post. I started keto this past July, added IF in August and did well with both until my bday in early October. Been struggling with fat and protein ratios since. Looking forward to gleaning as much info as possible from this forum.

(Laurie) #72

Welcome, @Tracy! Just stick with it. I struggle with some things, but when I keep trying, I figure it out eventually. In the past, giving up has led to years of weight gain, etc. We don’t want to go back there. Good luck.

(Tracy Cooper) #73

Thank you for this encouragement. I am taking in so much info it’s like drinking from a fire hydrant…:flushed: I tend to over-think and over-complicate things but I hope to get clarity and a better understanding of it all through this forum.

(Jessica Null) #78

@PaulL This information was exactly what I needed when I started! I have been doing a keto diet since October 20,2021. My A1C was 8.8, fasting blood sugar was 212 and I was miserable. On my last checkup my A1C was 6.0 and my fasting blood sugar was 95. I can tell that I am in ketosis, I think, because I naturally do intermittent fasting( I eat between noon and 6PM) and my breath could kill someone!
I have just gotten to the point where I want to start exercising because I feel like I am in alignment…if that makes any sense. I eat when I am hungry, I cut out all of the crap and can’t believe how much better I feel because of it! My kids complain about all of the butter I buy and store in the freezer but they love all the keto food I am cooking now- they don’t even notice the difference either!
I really enjoy all your encouragement and advice! Thanks!!