Keto is not a quick fix

(Ron D. Garrett) #1

Keto is NOT a quick fix…it’s a way of life: -Saying that “I need to lose” such and such by a certain date is a probable recipe for disappointment while following a well formulated ketogenic diet and perpetuates the failed attitudes of past dieting failures that many of us have experienced.

WHAT IF your body has internal healing to do BEFORE you begin to lose bodyfat/weight?

The Ketogenic WOE/WOL (way of eating/way of life) is NOT a short term fix nor is it a diet that one can simply measure success in numbers on a scale.

This woe/wol is FIRST and foremost about allowing your body to heal via eating real food in the right way and THEN the body responds by shedding unnecessary bodyfat as a by product.

Quite often in the beginning of starting the ketogenic diet people actually gain some weight as their body sheds fat because NOW that the person is truly eating healthy they gain lean tissue (mass) as their body repairs itself from being undernourished from eating “carbage”. This is not to say that you shouldn’t set a goal of weight loss…goals are good. But we also must ensure that we have the knowledge to know that a goal may or may not be a realistic one as ONLY your body knows how much and how fast we will lose fat/weight as we feed it the way it should be fed on a ketogenic diet.

Be blessed and keep calm as you keto on!

Ron “Big Black” Garrett

(TJ Borden) #2

Have you ever considered a career as a motivational speaker?

(Ron D. Garrett) #3

:joy: no. But I am a youth leader and have spoken in front of a lot of people before. Thank you for the compliment

It was a quick fix for me. I lost 100 pounds in just under six months. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ron D. Garrett) #5

Awesome!!!

(TJ Borden) #6

:unamused:… I used to like you.

But now you don’t apparently, I’m sorry to hear that.

(TJ Borden) #8

:smile: I can’t complain. I’m down 60 in 7 months, but I still have about 200 to go

That’s still good! Keep up the good work.

I could say something that would make you like me even less: I only have like 20 to go… :stuck_out_tongue:

(TJ Borden) #10

You’ve already done enough damage today. I’ve been craving in-n-out all evening thanks to you.

(Kaiden) #11

It is for a lot of people. As a weight-loss plan, it may not be that fast, but when it comes to things like hypertension, diabetes, etc, it can require frequent doctor visits for medication adjustments. It’s the whole “I’ve had to cut down on my antivenom ever since I moved to Ireland” phenomenon.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

Almost always when you hear stories of those who do have amazing quick weight loss, they are individuals who have a lot to lose and/or men.

The closer one is to their ideal body weight, the slower it comes of. So while a heavier individual could drop 20 pounds in 2 months, someone who only has 20 pounds to lose should not expect the same time frame.

And what can I say… women get shafted in life yet again. Our hormones make weight loss slower as our bodies are preprogrammed to hold onto fat just in case we get knocked up. You would think by 44, my body would understand that it just isn’t going to happen, but no.
And then I have menopause to look forward to.
Yeah for us women.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Brian) #13

Not a quick fix, exactly, but it did turn things around abruptly for me. I was definitely going in the wrong direction and decided I had to do something or I was very likely to check out. Lost my first 30 or 40 pounds very quickly. Have lost almost 65 now, and that’s since last August.

The weight loss has slowed quite dramatically but I’m more settled into the lifestyle and don’t think about it constantly anymore. It’s my “new normal”. I have somewhere around 25 or so pounds to go before I’m nearly at my goal and it’s probably going to take a while longer to get there. I’m in no hurry. It will happen.

I’m feeling good. Had an interesting thing happen this past week. Brother & sister-in-law came to visit us in TN. So we spent several days hiking over some of the hills and rocks and seeing some beautiful scenery, including a really neat waterfall I had never been to. The amazing part about this was, at least for part of the hiking, I was at the head of the pack and doing just fine, not lagging behind, breathing heavy, wondering if I was gonna make it, like I would have been a year ago. It’s as though my old body is getting new life breathed into it and I’m thrilled to feel “alive” again. It’s felt like life was slowly leaving me for some time over the past 10 years or so, can’t exactly put it into words, but that changed. No, it didn’t happen all at once, just a tiny bit at a time.

Just what happened to me… but it’s a continuing story. :slight_smile:

(Jane Reed) #14

Original post well said, Ron. I came to the forum and the first thing I read was another newbie’s post about being discouraged at the one month point. Perfect performance but no apparent results. Your post and many more like it, ought to be required reading for new members to the forum.

I’m another who had to wait three months till I detected weight loss. I’m a year and a half into it and have been stalled for months. In my case I suspect my advanced age has something to do with it, plus the fact I have only 15 - 20 pounds more that I wish to drop.

(Ashley) #15

I have to agree with this, I’ve been strict keto since March 23rd and I’m down 26 pounds. But I have a lot more to lose. I’m currently sitting about 224-226 depending on the day. Which is why I decided to
Do a fast to shock my body. All depends on the gender, amount needed to lose, how close to goal weight etc. Plus I think age may play into it to some extent, I may be wrong though, I’m under 30 so could possibly benefit me some compared to someone somewhat older.

Opposite experience. Lost 15 lbs pre keto, then about 35 from March - September 2017, mostly from IF and EF with keto helping. Then nothing. If anything I am up 5 lbs today for no reason. Went down a bunch of dress sizes (22 - 14 regular) until December. Still the same size as December, if anything clothing fit better then. It is starting to bug me! The weird part about the 5 lbs this week is I feel like I have been more careful than usual, Have not had fruit, excessive nuts or cheese all week. Still have 40 - 50 or more to lose

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Very wise words, big guy! Keep up the good work, bro! :bacon::bacon:

(Ron D. Garrett) #18

Wow!! Thank you for your kind words

(Ron D. Garrett) #19

Thank you sir! You donthe same!

(Bev Anne Moynham) #20

It’s been a slow process for me – the diabetes fix was almost immediate but the weight loss is taking years. I’m down 80 to 85 lbs from my highest but I still have over 100 to go. I’m older (75 this year) and my body was really broken so I don’t know if I’ll ever get to my goal (whatever that may be). But meanwhile, I’ll just KCKO.