Keto is not a quick fix

(Ron D. Garrett) #21

Same here! Awesome job!!

(Donna) #22

Hi Ron, I have been doing Keto on and off for a few years. I have also seen it as a way of life, but today I watched a disturbing video on the latest science on long-term Keto dieting. I was wondering if you could refute it or just say it is hogwash.

This is the link. https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/md2018summit-keto/?affiliate=ithrive I am hoping he is wrong or this video is prejudicial? Thank you so much for looking into this. Donna

(Laurel Harrington) #23

I used to live in Nashville, originally from Decatur GA. I miss the southeast desperately. I’m stuck in SoCal until my daughter turns 18 (custody agreement). My favorite hike here has a section that looks exactly like the mountains in TN. Y’all are so blessed to be there, enjoy :slight_smile:

(Laurel Harrington) #24

Thank you Ron! I just started keto a couple of weeks ago and I am so grateful for posts like this. I just put my bathroom scale in the back of the bathroom cabinet so it will stop tempting me! I almost stepped on it today because Saturday is the day I was checking my weight. I just kept remembering what everyone here keeps saying about staying focused on the true goal - better health.

@Bellyman – great to hear about your hiking excursion – how great does it feel to be getting stronger, more vigorous, and younger as time goes by!

(Ron) #26

Without going threw and breaking down each stated reason he suggests , I will give my opinion.
This is a vegan driven attempt to discredit a proven method of healthy eating that challenges their choice that is totally unsupported by any science that is given in the video and is trying to sell you something.:weary:
If you are still concerned and want further assurance then you might start a new topic with the video link as the main focus and I am sure others will bring you the science and evidence that discredits this and supports Keto longevity.:ok_hand:

(Ron D. Garrett) #27

First thing that I can tell you is that there are thousands of people that Ho have been keto long term some well over ten years and not only are they healthy but are thriving. I would bet that if you would research this that it is backed by Big Pharma or Big Food or Big Grain.

Another point of reference would be for you to look at kids who have been on Keto due to epilepsy who are true long term Keto. These kids are some of the healthiest sonit debunks what is being touted in that link and lastly there are more than enough clinical trials to debunk that nonsense.

Jimmy Moore and others have been low carb or Keto for years with no issues so it’s a non issue

(Ron D. Garrett) #28

Wish I had read your response first :joy:. Thank you!

(Ron D. Garrett) #29

Awesome! Keep it up. I have a transformation post that I did yesterday showing what will be your future if you hang in there. Blessings my Keto friend

(Donna) #30

Hey Ron, thank you so much for looking at that! I believe you may be correct in your take that he is promoting veganism. I also realized that not all keto diets are equal. The man in the video, threw 2 words together that should not be keto, but i suppose are by some. I think he said using vegetable oils and avocado. While avocado is great, all studies show vegetable oils to be very unhealthy… He also mentions the bad about red meat but does not address eating non-GMO, pesticide-free, free range, grazing beef which has a much higher amount of omega 3’s. So I won’t be scared off! :smile: Thank you! Donna

(cheryl) #31

Thank you! been keto for 5 months and have hit a little snag … needed this! Thank you!!!

Weight loss is obviously fast for some people. I believe it’s much slower for most others.

While losing 100 pounds in 6 months obviously is a great result, such results can give false hope for many others who think/hope they should be as successful. Without more realistic expectations, many people probably just give up and go away when they don’t have as good results.

We see almost every day posts here from people who want to give up because they think they are ‘doing it wrong’, or are ‘stalled’ because they ‘only’ lost 4-5 pounds the past month - not realizing that is probably a more common outcome - even adhering well to a keto way of eating.

As the OP said, keto is not a quick fix - for most of us. But what is the alternative if one has a seriously messed up metabolic situation? Stay the course, experiment, or eat crap and essentially die a slow death?

(Rob) #33

More vegan BS. There is nothing that scares a vegan more than keto since they believe it is the home of immoral murderous carnivores… which it is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But it is also the home of protein minimizing, animal welfare loving folks and many vegetarians and even vegans.

If you see something that preaches plant-based solutions, remember that it starts with its own morality and then tries to fit science into its predetermined box. They already have an a priori truth rather than have any interest in actually discovering it. Ignore and move on.

Are you telling me to add a disclaimer to the end of my posts saying “Individual results may vary” or something like that? Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ron D. Garrett) #35

You are welcome!

(Donna) #36

So true, don’t know why I did not see that right away! :grinning: So glad I asked for your input as the video scared the heck out of me since I am placing a lot of hope in the keto lifestyle to heal me of my fatal autoimmune liver disease and my recent diagnosis of lupus and pre-diabetes. I can’t believe with all the positive stats that they would do a thing like that! …Fit the science to adhere to their religious belief in veganism to scare off meat eaters, let alone free range grass fed meat eaters! What a shame, I am thinking I may write to them and give them shit for their false and misleading information. Thanks again Rob! :joy:

(Ron D. Garrett) #37

Exactly! Keep calm and keto on!!

If people have been reading posts here, they should already know that not everyone will have the same results. :slight_smile:

What is worthy of note however on the ‘keto is not a quick fix’ theme is that losing weight, no matter the speed of loss, is just phase one of success. The longer term, and perhaps more difficult, is keeping it off.

Even with the obvious success of keto, many people will fall off the wagon, have too many cheat meals, simply binge on keto foods, or resort to their underlying compulsive eating behavior that allowed significant gain in the first place. Eating carbs is not the only problem if one has gained significant weight. As a compulsive eater, I can attest to that myself having gained at least 10 pounds my first full year eating keto.

While many people have been successful with keto, will the weight loss remain after a few years? It has not for Jimmie Moore. People with gastric by-pass can regain too. And most others on standard diets have a reported 95% failure rate. I hope that number will be much better for keto, but it won’t be 100% long-term success.

Someone on another thread said they thought there would be higher long-term success rate for those who lost slowly (since that person was losing slowly) and learned more about themselves along the way. Maybe so, but who really knows. It would be nice if everyone were to achieve long-term success. But sadly the truth is that that is unlikely.

Stay the course. KCKO

(Robin) #39

@Rgbigun Thanks so much for that reminder. I am really struggling to remember that this is a long-term process. I am one of those who has been keto for about a year and I’ve only lost about 20 pounds. (Ok, I should say more than 20 because part of that year, I got pregnant, miscarried and then had to re-lose that weight I’d gained while pregnant- so more like 40 lbs-ish.) I struggle to stay away from foods with carbs which makes my journey more difficult for me. Thanks for reminding me that it will take time. I needed it.

Ugh… yet another person telling me that I might not keep the weight off. I get enough of that in the real world. People telling me things like “Don’t throw away all your fat clothes” and things like that. I don’t want to hear it, I will keep the weight off by continuing to eat the way I’ve been eating and continuing with my exercise regime. Plus I already donated all my old fat guy clothes, they’re gone forever, just like my weight problem.