Keto in the News

I think this article is pretty good as far as correct information about the diet, but they just present it in such negative terms!

“Protein is also something to watch. “Be sure to consume a minimum of 50 grams of quality protein daily!” said Dani Conway, a certified CHEK holistic lifestyle coach. Muscle mass is the most metabolically active tissue that we have. “The keto arenas tend to freak people out in regards to eating too much protein. However, when fat loss is the goal, we need protein to be able to support muscle and recovery as well as change body composition,” said Conway. Protein also plays a significantly positive role with reducing cravings and improving overall mood and well-being!”

• Ok well protein requirements are different for everyone, but that’s not an unreasonable general minimum number…and then they make it seem like ketonians are telling people not to eat that much! It’s ridiculous, all the recommendations I’ve seen say to eat enough to maintain muscle mass. And that last sentence…show me the science for that lol.

“It’s also important to get your greens. A well-rounded low-carb eating plan does NOT mean eat all the meat and eat all the fat! “This is what I call a big fat keto lie,” said Conway. You still want carbohydrates and especially those containing fiber. “Your best sources for carbohydrates are going to be greens, as well as all of your low-glycemic vegetables. Some examples here are: spinach, kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, romaine, arugula, endive, radishes, turnips, mushrooms, and more. We need these foods in our lives for long-term health,” said Conway.”

-A Keto Lie? All the resources I’ve seen encourage the eating of those vegetables. I know ZC is a healthy sub-group here, butI wouldn’t say that’s the main directive coming from Keto how-to’s.

“When it comes to fat, which you’re supposed to consume in fairly high amounts on a keto diet, you should eat until you’re satiated. “This discussion of good fats is super important and an area with tons of keto lies as well when it comes to how much fat to consume with this way of eating,” said Conway. So we must eat fat until we are satiated. Fats are great for balancing blood sugar and mood throughout the day; and they also do wonders for those little buggers we have called hormones!”

-Great Paragraph~ minus the totally unecessary “Keto Lies” ?!? Why?

A lot of scare mongering with warnings to follow certain guidelines if going keto- and all those certain guidelines are the tenets of keto…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Since I’ve lost sixty pounds doing lazy keto, I’m not too worried about eating almost exclusively meat and fat. My sister makes a great “Fully Loaded” cauliflower (baked with cheese sauce, yum!), I have a good recipe for Brussels sprouts (from one of Maria Emmerich’s books, I believe), and I love blue cheese dressing, so we’re not likely to stop buying veggies in my household, but “you still want carbohydrates” is going too far in my book. I could live happily on bacon, beef, pork, lamb, salmon, . . .