Keto in popular culture

(ishaisagi) #1

Hey everyone - lets start a list of references to keto in popular culture - any reference to low carb (and preferably high fat) is acceptable. Documentaries are not allowed!
I will start:

Speed 2 Cruise Control
A scene with obese American tourists who are eating fatty food and explaining they are doing that to lose fat. That is supposed to be a dig at stupid fat Americans…the joke is on the director!

See, the misconception is that fat is bad.
In order to lose fat, you shouldn’t eat fat.
Well, guess what, guys?
False. Your body’s just a giant computer.
Mm. See, if you don’t eat fat…
…your body’s mainframe goes, whoa!
Whoa!
Better keep whatever fat I’ve got.
So you see, we at Fatbusters…
…well, we say fat is your friend.

Community
In the TV seriers “Community”, Jeff (Joel Mchale) is low carb (as is the actual actor) and there are many references to it:
quote 1

britta: there’s one thing i don’t get, though… why did you get pizza if you always just eat the toppings?
jeff: isn’t it obvious? i like pizza, but i can’t eat all the carbs.

quote 2

You ate the potatoes? You, you don’t even eat carbs. I eat love, Britta.

"Lizzie McGuire" (2001)

Lizzie: Kate, you don’t eat carbs.
Kate: I’d eat carbs if an Italian boy bought them for me!

(ishaisagi) #3

references to bacon do not equal references to keto!

Oops. My bad.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #5

Sorry, but this is the opposite of what the OP asked for, but …

…my son bought me the complete 9 seasons of Seinfeld on DVD for Christmas (he’s been well brought-up that way…).

There is an episode that features a frozen yogurt cafe that everyone is going crazy about, and its main claim to fame is that “there is no fat” in their yogurts. (This was made in the early 1990s, perhaps the high point of the low fat craze).

After a few weeks, both Jerry and Elaine notice that they have put on several pounds, and they get suspicious about the “no fat” claim.

I won’t give away the denouement (just in case someone hasn’t seen it, and might do), but one interesting thing (as one can discover in the “Extras”) is that this was shot in the final run-up to the mayoral campaign in NYC, and they wanted to feature the winning candidate in a piece for the show. So they had to film 2 different endings, as of course, they didn’t know in advance who was going to win. Well, I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that of course, Giuliani won, and sportingly, he’d agreed to film a short spot for the show (talking about his weight gain, even though he’d only eaten “low fat” products…).

Although I love the show, I kept wanting to shout at the screen:

“It’s the fucking sugar you morons!”

(Cecy Contreras Villarreal) #6

In the movie “Mean Girls”, Regina George is evidently low carb, and Callie tricks her into eating carbs, which she is apparently addicted to :scream: