Keto haters - what to say to them?

(Jane) #81

The ladies in my office KNOW I am “low carb” because when we all went out to lunch at a local Italian joint (ugh) I was the only one not eating the rolls and ordered a meat salad.

They scarfed the rolls and asked for another basket then proceeded to eat these huge plates of pasta. Made my stomach ache watching it.

Anyhoo… I am on Day 4 of my water fast last week and when I get to work there is a small Shipley’s Doughnut bag on my desk. Really?. I took it to the break room w/o opening it and set it next to two boxes of doughnuts.

I don’t know if they would be called haters but was damned inconsiderate!!! :rage:

(Sophie) #82

Oh yeah, you got a definite hater there. What a shittything to do, by leaving something on your desk like that! I’d be pissed, and more likely to throw the crap in the garbage! Screw 'em, they’re not worth the waste of energy worrying about.

(Marta Loftfield) #83

I’m with @JustPeachy the bag would have gone in the trash.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #84

Straight up sabotage!:rage:

Good for you staying strong.

(Doug) #85

Jane, it would have cracked me up - it’s just so blatant. :smile: I guess the context matters - in a way it does seem purely hateful.

(Gail P) #86

I hope the Klan doesn’t officially endorse keto, or I might have to rethink the whole carb-avoidance, weight-loss, metabolic health, diabetes-reversal thing.

No worries, we’ll just rename the WOE.

(back and doublin' down) #87

the trash can by their desk, no less.

That’s their crap, on their side of the street. So sad they can’t see the joy in being happy for someone else’s success.

Interestingly enough, I have decided to stick to KETO because my cholesterol dropped so drastically after just 1 month. So I stopped taking my Zetia, (which never seemed to help anyway) and I have lost 15 lbs over 3 months, without ever feeling hungry.
Luckily I love cheese…even love Ricotta, right out of the container, and I always keep a couple of Polly-O string cheese sticks in my pocketbook.
I’m not fanatical about a few calories here or there…like I will use regular breadcrumbs to batter my fish and I eat store bought or restaurant soups occasionally, which I know are not carb free, but my passion for cookies and bread and potatoes just disappeared, (miracle).
My answer for anybody who says, you don’t need to diet, is " I’m just not eating carbs and sugars because I love where my cholesterol is at and if I lose a few more pounds along the way, so be it"
So I hope your cholesterol numbers plummet also and that in itself is worth avoiding the carbs for. Tell your family to back off…

(Chris) #89

http://eatwildgreens.com/2017/09/28/4-reasons-a-keto-diet-is-bad-for-your-health/

What do you have to say about this article?

(Doug) #90

It’s just a blog post that’s both woefully over-generalized and short-sighted. While there are people who eat high-carb diets (and lots of wild greens, for that matter) and who are metabolically healthy and homeostatic, that does not address those of us who are not - a huge amount of people, worldwide, and a portion of humanity that’s been rapidly increasing under the influence of advice to eat a high-carbohydrate diet.

Saying that a given person does not need a ketogenic diet is one thing. Making blind generalizations and giving “4 REASONS A KETO DIET IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH” is pretty silly, however.

This message is echoed by all major health organizations, from The American Cancer Society to the World Health Organization. Eating a predominantly plant-based diet was also the main focus of the 2015 Scientific Advisory Committee’s recommendations for the USDA food guidelines (before the food industry flexed its muscle).

:smile: As if “major health organizations” are free from the influence of the food industry. Good grief… :roll_eyes: The World Health Organization has been shown to make past judgments that are unforgivably neglectful, illogical and intellectually dishonest.

Much of the blame directed at animal products and saturated fats stems from a sorrowfully confused approach where diets that included them were judged on that basis alone, rather than the fact that large amounts of carbohydrates and processed foods were also present.

The author should pay attention to the fact that the advice to eat a high-carbohydrate diet really gathered steam in the 1970s, and that around 1980, government and health organization guidelines increasingly reflected this, and that this corresponded with a marked increase in the rate of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, etc., and an acceleration of the worsening trend - a trend which is still with us today.

1 in 3 people being born now will be diabetic, per current trends, and so will 1/3 or more of the populations of many countries - the U.S., for example, in roughly 3 decades. When the problem is insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance and obesity - due in great part to consumption of large amounts of carbohydrates, then it’s fatuous to dismiss low-carbohydrate diets on the bases given in the blog post.

A good article for the Bad Science forum. By the way, ketogenic diets for childhood epilepsy are not a last resort, they have become standard of care.

What I find amusing about the plant-based vegan activists is their peculiar need to demonize the other approaches, particularly Keto. I think this indicates a fundamental lack of confidence in veganism.

(Michele) #92

I think it might have been keto that made you lose your arse

(Michele) #93

Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that one

(Omar) #94

(Consensus is Politics) #95

Dinner last night…

20 ounce steak. Cooked rare. 1/2 cup sour cream on the side (non of that low fat lèsè). Desert: one can medium black olives, well salted, with melted cream cheese, and 4 strips of bacon.

Got any meal, mineral, and vegetable. Did I miss a food group? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Omar) #96

What I am trying to say: Do not be serious when replying to close minded people. You will waste your expensive resources.

Exactly! Especially as there are more and more scientific and nutritional studies being done on what eating HFLC does to your biology and physiology. Good cholesterol, eliminating t2 diabetes, significant weight loss, people are so quick to rely on the bad “science” they’ve heard shoved down their throat for the last 40 or 50 years. I even heard on a talk show where a lady had lost about 100 pounds on keto but the doctor sitting in the audience was quick to spout that “well, anyone with significant weight loss will have improved blood panels, cholesterol, etc.” She wasn’t a fan of cutting out whole grains, fruits, etc. much like Jillian Michaels (who, BTW, I swear has been paid by someone to publicly hate on the keto diet; look at her success rate with the Biggest Loser! Almost every person on that show gained all their weight back and then some. She keeps saying it’s all about balance; eat less, move more. Her way doesn’t work! If it were that simple we wouldn’t have a more than 50% obesity rate in the United States). Anyway, this doctor in the audience wouldn’t even consider the fact that going keto forces people to give up all the processed garbage that is causing diabetes and obesity. Some doctors fail to recognize that there is a significantly higher benefit to the effects of keto than comparing that to the benefits that may or may not be gotten from eating the Standard American Diet where you consume grains, legumes, fruit, etc. I will gladly give up the whatever benefits I would get from eating those types of foods to the benefits of being keto where I know I won’t get t2 diabetes from being 100 lbs overweight! Why can’t doctors recognize that the standard medical textbook just MIGHT be wrong?!

(Consensus is Politics) #98

That’s the same type of thing I do to telemarketers now. It’s the highlight of my day. I look forward to them calling now.

When I got the call from Microsoft, that my computer had notified them it was infected and they could walk me through fixing it, I acted overjoyed :grin:. They took me through the Windows error logs, citing things like services that started and stopped. Drivers that failed to initialize. Dropped networking connections. On and on. Once they started saying these things were the proof I had the such and such virus, I knew they were scamming. So I didn’t feel the least bit bad for wasting their time. For the next 11 minutes I let them take me by the hand and lead me through windows menus to get nowhere.

I finally said, “well, my coffee break is up. I need to get back to work. But can I ask you something? Do you really get paid to scam people like this? Steal their money? Or worse send them to a download site and convince them to install your male ware as software?” The guy had a few choice words about my mom, and hung up the phone. Made my day😎

(Consensus is Politics) #99

Lmao. I like that cartoon.

(less is more, more or less) #100

Yeah, sure, Ms. Michaels. Try the “all about balance” approach with any addiction. Heroine addict? No worries, it’s about moderation. Sounds sensible, only it isn’t, when understood in the correct context. It is a rather silly and incongruent advice, yet, uninformed heads will nod when they hear the “all in moderation” phrase. Damn the science! All in moderation!

When it comes to what we eat, our culture is pre-gamed for virulent vitriol. She’s not the only non-obese person I know that tows the CICO line.