Keto gives your palate superpowers

This morning before work I stopped by the gas station to grab some Sugar Free Sports drinks. I grabbed a 20 oz propel vitamin water, then two 28oz Gatorade Zeros.

Got into work and chugged the propel water since I didn’t have time to drink a glass of water this morning. I then opened up one of the Gatorade and poured some into the empty propel bottle because I like drinking from the squeeze top (I’m a child :joy:)

I took a tiny sip then subconsciously stopped. I looked at the back of the label and realized I accidentally bought two REGULAR gatorade, not the ZERO which I usually buy. I was bummed but also excited because I avoided 22 carbs of pure sugar (44 if I wouldve drank them both throughout the day), so today is already a win.

Years ago I could easily eat a 1lb of chocolate covered almonds or drink something sweet without thinking twice, but now that I’m sensitive to sweet flavors they’re overwhelming and off-putting.

For example- I buy unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I can still taste the natural sweetness of the milk.

I’ve only been on keto for 3 weeks and already I notice a difference. I bought a small amount of fresh made almond butter from our local store. I tried it and to me, it tasted sweet (not ice cream sweet but sweet). My husband tasted it and said it needs something more.

All flavors over the last few days are stronger to me. In the past I’m sure I’ve eaten and never really tasted much.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I definitely noticed an increase in sensitivity to sugar taste. I was cooking sweet potatoes for my son for a couple of months when I started (he’s Keto now). I would lick the fork from smashing them and was surprised how much sweeter they tasted. I ate a peanut butter cup type thing on Christmas Day and it was sickly sweet and not so enjoyable anymore. It’s amazing that what we used to eat without thinking doesn’t taste as good anymore and stuff that was kind of bland is now full of flavor nuances. Almost like quitting tobacco. :cowboy_hat_face:

I just had some blueberries and the flavor was brighter with more sweet than I recall.

(Anne) #5

I was out to lunch yesterday and got blue cheese dressing with my salad. Normally my favorite dressing but it was SO sweet! Tasted like pure sugar. My dining companion, who does not eat a keto diet, tried it and said it tasted like normal blue cheese dressing. I asked for oil and red wine vinegar instead which was fine, but there was definitely some kind of sugary filler in the dressing!
Not eating sugar definitely changes the way you perceive sugar.