Keto gives diabetes?

(Hoteski) #2

(David) #3

You can prove anything when you make studies on mice, It is not the first time strange result came from testing on mice. Keto is well proven on humans.

(David) #4

here is another conclusion based on testing on mice

It reads as if who ever compiled that copy was confused and has relayed what he heard incorrectly or this is a prime example of disinformation:

“Although ketogenic diets are known to be healthy, our findings indicate that there may be an increased risk of insulin resistance with this type of diet that may lead to Type 2 diabetes.”

This makes no sense at all as a statement if you know that ketogenic diets lower insulin levels something you want as a diabetic. The mind boggles.

Oh no. Say it isn’t so. Does this mean I have to take my 40lbs of weight back and rip up my awesome doctors reports?

(Bunny) #7

The problem, what were they were doing before going keto? I speculate it has to do with a fatty liver (very difficult to detect in the beginning stages) then going keto? (has something to do with it?)

If I suspected I had a fatty liver, I would very very slowly cut back on the sugars and carbs and get more raw veggies in my diet like more methionine or choline from organic natural sources before leaping into full blown ketogenic diet!

Could be a combination of other variables involved but that fatty liver thing just sticks in my head as being the very prominent/dominant factor or maybe a co-factor?

Some references:

What Causes Fatty Liver? (Not What You Think)

Fatty Liver: How to Fix It (2018)

Fatty Liver: Do You Have It? (How to Tell

…Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is highly prevalent in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), likely reflecting the frequent occurrence of… …More

…yep, what crickette said!

(Bunny) #9

Hepatic or skeletal muscle insulin resistance (glucose-sparing)?

Surely the author missed that?

(David) #10

Yes!.. please go eat a lot of bread with Nutella right now! and report back when you did it.

(Hoteski) #11

I can’t believe that these news are giving out advise or news reports that clearly confuse people when there are countless of people on this forum who have been doing keto long term and reversed diabetes.

(German Ketonian) #12

Made my day, your comment did! :joy:

(German Ketonian) #13

As a PhD in political and (media) communication science, let me tell you: get used to it :expressionless:

(David) #14

It is how it works, they get paid to find a way to give keto af bad name. It is all about money.

(Christopher Bonci) #15

I love how they mention that the researchers think it may be a physiologic adaption and yet still the headline is keto = insulin resistance. The humans are omnivores bit was a nice touch too, because you know that’s science.

(Chris) #16

I made a big mistake probably and commented on their facebook post in the midst of my morning caffeine rush. RIP.

(Ben) #17

So they fed mice a “ketogenic diet” for 3 days.
If the scientists can’t be bothered to wait until the mice are in ketosis, I can’t be bothered to read the rest of their crap study.

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/JP275173

(less is more, more or less) #18

Huh. I heard this claim elsewhere, and submitted a related study article, here, for feedback on possible process flaws.

Of course its recommendations are nonsense, (TL;DR - eat less meat) but that won’t stop detractors from throwing everything they’ve got. People who don’t know better, and subconsciously wish to keep feeding from the SAD, relay the flawed studies.

Umm. If you used a lot of Nutella, such a meal would be primarily fat calories…proving their point. The worst foods to eat have a lot of fat with a lot of carbs. The normal donuts, cookies, cakes, (Nutella sandwiches), …

But as far as foods with little or no fat and tons of carbs:

• Cap’n Crunch cereal with skim milk and topped with bananas and lots of sugar?
  • Applesauce?
  • Fruits like pineapples and grapes?
  • Fruit juices?
  • Non-diet sodas?

(Donna ) #20

I thought that was you! lol

Glad you commented. :+1:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #21

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that people with T2D often go on a ketogenic diet to address the disease, therefor a disproportionate number of keto people are T2D. The survey might read:

Are you diabetic?

Are you on the ketogenic diet?

Answer yes to both of those and someone might think that establishes a correlation. It’s the “firemen causing fires” fallacy all over again.