Keto-friendly NY restaurant suggestions wanted - going to Manhattan for work this week

restaurantsurvival
food

Hi all, I will be going to Manhattan, NY for work this upcoming week. I have never been there! I’m bringing my own lunches (macadamia nuts, grass fed beef sticks, flax-seed crackers & wholly guacamole cups, almonds). Anyone know the area well enough to recommend keto-friendly restaurant ideas for dinner? I’d love to go somewhere that serves bacon/eggs for dinner, for example.

Thanks!!

(Arlene) #2

I would recommend you bring as much food as you can. When we were in Manhattan, the hardest part of our trip was finding nourishing, healthy food choices. I wonder how far the locals have to drive to buy real food in that area.

(bulkbiker) #3

Surely there is a steak house on just about every corner?
My favourite if you have either a very large wallet or a very generous expense account would be Bobby Van’s at 230 Park Avenue.
Their Porterhouse is amazing…

(Ken) #4

Have you been lipolytic very long? If more than a few weeks, and especially if over two months, I’d use your trip as a break. A week of eating carbs, since it’s an abberation rather than a pattern, will not cause a fat regain, as it takes longer than that for lipogenic hormonal adaptation. You will gain weight due to glycogen, but you’ll quickly shed it. Enjoy yourself, try everything.

@MarkGossage is absolutely correct. There are a number of delicious steak houses in New York but expect to pay $300 or more for 2 for dinner easily

There are old fashioned diners that serve breakfast all day. I am sure if you google.

Its the same as any place else really, plain meat, seafood in butter is always an option. Tell them you cannot eat gluten so please do not add flour to your food, substitute broccoli for the potato. As long as you avoid chinese food and pizza (both of which are amazing in New York depending on where you go) you will have what to eat. It is one of the restaurant capitals of the world.

If you need to stock up while there, in terms of supermarkets most have whole food and organic options. Trader Joe’s and Fairway are especially good options if you want to buy some cheese or nuts. Zabars is an experience in terms of their cheese and specialty foods although I have not been in years. If you get desperate, which I doubt you will, you can always buy a bag of peeled eggs to eat on the run

Thanks for the tips everyone. My company policy is a limit of $50 reimbursed per dinner daily.

@240lbfatloss - I believe I have been fat adapted since around April/May or so. It is tempting to go off keto for the week like you suggest, but I am not sure yet, I’ll have to think about it. I have rarely indulged in non-keto foods in the months since April, such as a couple days at the Minnesota State Fair in July (yikes). For the most part I stay in ketosis though.

$50? While in Omaha that should provide a nice meal, that will not be easy in New York but not impossible. They do not adjust when traveling to New York or LA?

(Ken) #8

Having been to Manhattan only once myself, the food variety is amazing. I’m simply making the point that it’s an opportunity to try lot’s of different foods, and in the context of only a few days won’t really affect you. Nothing wrong with taking a short break.

I will have to look into whether there is adjustment for high-cost cities. The policy is mainly for our consultants who travel to clients across the country. I am just a lowly accounting department employee, and I don’t travel much. I have only gone to Kansas City, MO and a suburb of Chicago, IL before this trip. We have to go train some people at a NY branch in our new billing system. I doubt there will be an exception to the policy, as my company always gets very serious about expense control in the fourth quarter each year…

There are tons of lower cost options. Mexican fajitas, ask for lettuce wraps, greek food is always a good lower carb option. If you follow @240lbfatloss suggestion of going off plan, while New York is absolutely a great place to do it (I highly recommend the pizza and bagels and various ethnic foods such as Indian (there is an area on the lower east side, there is Chinatown) and really the possibilites are endless. The downside is, that when I did that by the next day I felt hungover and had nothing to drink to cause it. By the middle of the second day the gluten had hit my stomach hard. By day 3 I was happily back to fasting with no desire to continue on the binge

(mike) #11

One word…DINER!