Mention here what keto friendly individual foods you can think of.
I’ll start with King Oscar Mackerel in olive oil.
19 grams of fat and 16 grams protein. No carbs.
Polar Kippers (herring)
9 grams fat and 11 grams protein. No carbs.
Mention here what keto friendly individual foods you can think of.
I’ll start with King Oscar Mackerel in olive oil.
19 grams of fat and 16 grams protein. No carbs.
Polar Kippers (herring)
9 grams fat and 11 grams protein. No carbs.
All carni food except excessive amounts of milk powder, to me at least. But minus most dairy items if you want to keep your carbs low. Minus liver if you easily inhale 400g of it in one sitting as I did once. Most meats (including fish, it was always super weird to me that people put them into another category. it’s a flesh of an animal), eggs, cheese, cream, butter…
If you want no carbs (trace amounts not counted), it’s tricky, I only can think about pure fats and certain meats. But of course, some carbs are quite fine.
Or do you want ready to eat things where no cooking is involved? Harder cheeses
(Not like I could get satiated by them but never could eat enough for a meal anyway.) And yep, the tinned fish. Sadly I barely can buy any here without bad oils or lots of sugar AND fat
It would be a nice emergency food.
Oily seeds are a bit carby but it varies and they are very fatty so for a decent amount of energy, the carb content may be not too much. Some people can’t stop eating them in time and I don’t consider them a proper standalone meal unlike my SO. They aren’t protein rich, that is part of my problem here but we humans are different when it comes to satiation, satisfaction and good macros.
When you mentioned olives, you mean is it any olives like in bottled in brine, or in oil?
Good choices. I had to stop my almond milk and heavy peanut butter consumption. Was getting a ton of oxalates along with not enough calcium.
Kidney stone nightmare lol.
Whole milk cottage cheese, deviled eggs, homemade beef jerky, cheeseburder patty, tuna/chicken salad.
Some of those use mayo but you can make your own out of olive oil to keep it healthy.
I switched from almonds to macadamia nuts because they’re lower in carbs and oxalates. I tend to have 1/2 to 1 oz once a day. The only thing they’re higher in than almonds is price. A few times a year, I’ll get pistachios just for variety.
The local grocery store has starting carrying what they call hog jowl bacon. It’s not Plain Old Bacon, which is pork belly, but we go through a few pounds/week. And, yeah, I limit myself to something like two or three slices/day even though it’s “free” from the keto standpoint.
That’s nice, there is a kind of processed item with pork jowl that is popular here, slowly cooked, covered with paprika. According to the label, 98% fat in calories or so (I try to find the somewhat meatier pieces). My eating speed must be around 1000 kcal per minute unless I hold back, so dense and tempting and smooth… I keep it for fat fast days (90% fat) for understandable reasons considering I need much protein and less fat. I don’t remember seeing it raw but the processed version can be made with other extremely fatty parts.
I use coconut milk and/or coconut water. However, I have found the coconut milk WILL put the fat on you if you drink it with any amount of carbs - esp sugar and starches. I have to use coconut milk very sparingly without any added sugar or carbs in my diet. Then it is keto friendly. I will typically sweeten it with a few drops of stevia, but my wife likes coconut water plain.
I eat sardines packed in EVOO. I tend to prefer the Wild Planet brand as it has the whole sardines, so you are getting the calcium and minerals from the bones, and all the omega 3s around the skin. Cheaper than other canned fish options… I no longer eat canned tuna, as it is very oxidized by virtue of being so flaked, but otherwise is definitely keto friendly.
Last night I had roasted lamb… delicious. Rolled in EVOO, sea salt, pepper, organic dijon mustard, rosemary and thyme
Wild shrimp - a weekly habit in garlic butter
Crab - I love crab, but tends to be expensive so is more like once every two weeks
Chicken thighs - my favorite part of the chicken, and is cheaper because of the public fear of its slightly higher fat. I use a garlic herb sauce or a herb rub in EVOO.
Grass fed ground beef.
Grass fed beef liver - I am fortunate enough to have a local butcher which sells local grass fed beef. I tried some of their liver, and it was the best liver I’ve ever had… amazing how good liver is if it is not ruined by the CAFO feed lot…
Sockeye salmon - typically bought at Costco or Sam’s Club; sometimes a Kroger store called Smith’s. Basically a weekly habit making two meals.
other fish - flounder, occassional trout, etc.
eggs - after my morning yogurt, eggs comprise my usual breakfast 4 days/wk while doing keto. The other 3 days are fasted until dinner.
I can no longer eat standard American dairy but cottage cheese, cheeses, etc of course qualify. I do eat goat cheese and imported sheep cheese or other A2 cheeses, which I love on my eggs. I use goat cheese like I used to use cream cheese.
Other fermented foods: sauerkraut, natto, kimchi
Goat yogurt - I make mine, but you can buy it reasonably priced at most Trader Joe’s; it has about twice the MCTs as cow yogurt
High soluble fiber foods - these are actually fat burning, or promote fat burning. We don’t digest soluble fiber. It gets broken down into SCFAs by bacteria in our gut. These foods have been clinically shown to help fat loss. The SCFAs get burned by the colonocytes which help us digest our food, and what they don’t use gets absorbed directly into the blood stream. SCFAs are so small they don’t get packed into any particles like LDL. When endothelial cells in the arteries burn SCFAs, they “relax” - lowering blood pressure, and I believe this state restores the integrity of the glycocalix so that oxLDL doesn’t get embedded into the artery wall starting heart disease.
examples of high soluble fiber foods I eat:
berries(I buy frozen organic because unfortunately berries are a highly sprayed crop) - these go in my morning yogurt
most fruits - I don’t eat other fruits when doing keto, but they are a good source of soluble fiber
Cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower
these are normally steamed and then coated in buttered hot water and sprinkled with Herbamare
Cruciferous vegetable salad of kale, cabbage, raddichio, brus. sprouts, broccoli, pepitas, cranberries topped with olives, hemp seeds, and cherry tomatoes with homemade MTC oil, balsamic vinegar and herb dressing - this just has no starch to speak of and promotes fat burning
asparagus