Keto Friendly Doctor in the Toronto Area?

(Jason Donohoe) #1

Is anyone out there aware of a keto/low carb friendly GP in the Toronto, Canada area?

My 72 year old mother wants to go keto and I would prefer a medical professional giving her advice if possible.

Thanks,

Jason

(Cathy) #2

Dr. Jason Fung is keto friendly but has a very long wait list. You might try contacting his office and see if they can recommend someone?

(Richard Hanson) #3

We are only going to see that answer about 500 times. :slight_smile:

I bet it is hard to get an appointment.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Cywgdave) #4

I canā€™t guarantee for sure that Dr. Randy Knipping is 100% behind Keto, but when I saw him starting in 2005/2006 he was already prominently displaying ā€œThe Paleo Solutionā€ on his bookcase in the consulting room. I have moved away from Toronto so donā€™t see him anymore but I found him pretty good and fairly forward looking. At the time he was on Brownā€™s line in Etobicoke but the best Iā€™ve been able to come up with right now is http://www.deerfields.ca/the-team/dr-randy-knipping/ Not totally sure exactly where their physical location is. Unfortunately I feel it is somewhere north of Brampton. But I donā€™t know if he still maintains some kind of a presence in the (not-so) GTAA.

Best wishes on your search.

(Jason Donohoe) #5

Thanks for the input. Dr Fungā€™s clinic is actually a 10min drive from my parentā€™s homeā€¦

I will start with his office and see if he can recommend a local GP if his wait time is too long.

Jason

Did you end up finding one?

(Kevin M.) #7

Doctor Jason Fung. IDMprogram.com

(Jason Donohoe) #8

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I did try calling Dr. Fungā€™s office directly and they directed me to the IDM program as well.

Regards,

Jason

Same question from me. My GP isnā€™t at all on board with Keto, and believes high fat is extremely dangerous to my health.

The 40 pounds of weight loss Iā€™ve gone through since Jan 2017 by reducing carbs doesnā€™t appear to make a difference in her mind, as my LDL is upā€¦ Despite my HBAIC at 5, Trigs and HDL way better than the test criteria, she is focusing on my high LDL numbers. I tried to find her opinion on why LDL in and of itself would be a bad markerā€¦ and if Iā€™m mobilizing fat doesnā€™t it make sense the LDL goes up? she couldnā€™t give me a good answer but instead wants to send me for tests.
My LDL results are causing her to freak out sending me for all kinds of testsā€¦ and wants to refer me to an endocrinologist.

If anybody knows of a GP in the Greater Toronto Area, or even an endocrinologist that is at least aware of the benefits of keto, Iā€™d like to have a doctor ā€˜on my sideā€™ instead of fighting battles each time I go inā€¦

(Cathy) #10

I wish I had a name for you but I donā€™t. If you canā€™t find a keto friendly doc, just remember your current doc is really your consultant and you work from there. Over time your blood work will likely look amazing. As you know, during weight loss, things can and do look wonky. If your doc/consultant doesnā€™t understand that, then use your own judgment.

I am sure my ā€˜traditionally trainedā€™ long time doc was worried about my health when I informed him that I was keto and he had me back every 3 months with blood work for 1 year and then slowly cut back to annual visits only and only checks my thyroid and at my request, A1c and fasting insulin. We donā€™t discuss diet. He is a CI/CO believer. It doesnā€™t matter because I feel confident in what I have learned.

(Milad G) #11

Any updates on this?