Keto for the over 40s male

fasting
supplements

(Rich) #1

Hey guys,

So I’m 42 and have been on Keto for 9 months now and it’s GREAT! (though I rarely register any keytones on the urine test strips - apparently that just means I’m using them…)

I’ve heard LOTS of advice around vitamin supplements and the need for them especially when over 40 and more so 60 and want to check whether any of them are:

a) negatively affecting my results
b) pointless

SO first off I’ve followed the advice of Thomas DeLauer and increased my protein intake from 25% to 30% (to reduce muscle atrophy due to protein processing being harder above 40). and I’m currently on (daily):

500mg L-Carnitine
400mg Turmeric
200mg Bio-Ubiquinol Active QH
1000mg Marine Collagen
500mg Psyllium Husks

I also:

• take a couple of tablesoons of Apple Cider Vinegar after having a cheat meal
  • regularly do intermittent fasting - though (after more advice - Thomas) going to try changing to just periodic fasting like 24-48 hours one or twice a month.

THIS all seems like overkill but it’s my first time over 40 so what do I know! :grin:

Advise please from any of you hardened/wisened Ketoers much approciated!

Supplement needs are probably as bio individual as the over 40s male.

It’s also why their are so many sunglasses styles in the world.

My supplements are mainly electrolytes:
Magnesium citrate
Bone broth ( for the collagen )
Vitamin B3 nicotinamide 500 mg twice daily for positive mitochondrial effects
Zinc
Pink Himalayan salt and Lite salt

Check out what Dr. Paul Saladino says about turmeric.

Why the psyllium?

I surf a few times per week. I was over 40 more than a decade ago and am Keto for 5 years plus failing badly at a current carnivore challenge.

(Rich) #3

Hey Franko, I believe the Psyllium was for increasing fibre intake…
Will look into a blood monitor - are there any particularly good (yet cheap) ones or ones to avoid?

(Susan) #4

Welcome to the forum, Rich, and best wishes with your Keto journey.

I use the Freestyle glucometer that measures both blood glucose and blood ketones. Costs vary based on what country you live in.

It’s worth doing a forum search about dietary fibre (or fiber).

There may be 2 reasons to consider fibre in a ketogenic diet, but as may well follow, it is often stated that it is not an essential nutrient. That doesn’t take into account the nuance of it possibly being a needed component in a dietary formulation. Have a read around about fibre.

1. Fibre binds toxins in the gut allowing elimination, before absorption and when detoxing during rapid body fat loss.
  2. Fibre can be used as a physical, volumetric satiety lever, if needed