Keto food to take hiking and when to start running

(Lindsey) #1

Hi everyone,

I’m new, just over a week in, not seen much change yet but I’m not having too much trouble sticking to this way of eating - I wasn’t a big carb eater anyway.

I have a few questions - I’ve been off my regular exercise for a while (mainly running) due to a hip injury, it’s healed now but when would be a good time to start back up? I keep reading conflicting information, some people say to wait until you’re fully fat adapted, others say you should be exercising off the bat. Any suggestions?

I was also hoping that you might be able to give me some ideas for keto food to take for a full day of hiking. Whatever I take needs to stay edible after being in the bottom of a hot backpack for hours. Honestly, I can probably just get by on a morning coffee, but the groups I go with always insist you take food - they tend to have sandwiches or wraps, and fruit. I’m trying to keep off nuts, because I love them and if I have nuts in the house I’ll probably go a bit crazy and eat them all. I’m also very squeamish with eggs - I’m fine with things like omelettes where I can pick those weird springy bits out before I cook it, but hard boiled are a no go. I’m also not a big meat eater. I love pretty much all veggies though. I hope that’s not too restrictive - I’m not that picky, honest! Any suggestions for a hiking lunch would be fab!

Things like biltong or jerky maybe? Sticks of butter if its not to warm out (i just wanna do that to freak people out actually) cured meats and cheeses.

As for running?.. if theres a bear chasing me…run…otherwards…not so much… i hate running…(screws with my knee)

(Lindsey) #3

Butter would definitely melt, I’d be covered in it! Though you’re right that people’s reactions would probably be funny. :smiley:
At the moment I’m barely managing to eat chicken and fish - I was mostly vegetarian before starting keto, and want to go back to it when I figure out how, so it’s a no on the cured meats. Bacon might be okay, though not sure if it would be okay after being in the heat for hours…?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

As far as running goes, add it in whenever you feel up to it. You may not have the endurance for long runs during the adaptation phase, but there’s no reason you can’t run to what you feel comfortable. Just take it slow and build up.

As for hiking food, make a trail mix with seeds like pumpkin seeds, shredded unsweetened coconut, and just a few nuts like macadamia.

Beef sticks if you can find ones with very little sweetners. I have one from Costco that’s not too bad, but I only eat sparingly.

You shouldn’t need to bring much. Just enough to keep your group satisfied your packing, but you don’t want to load up while exercising. It’s best to do fasted with only adding small amounts if needed for an energy boost along the way.

(Karen) #5

Small sealable bottle with a bit of coconut butter. Vegans can/do eat seeds. Make a muesli trail mix.

K

Pepperett sticks or jerky are easy to take with you. Cheese strings are easy too !

You can still do a sandwich, but instead of bread, use lettuce as a wrap.

Boiled eggs, avocado, bacon, olives.

(Russell) #8

I did a 6 day hike carrying in all my food and this is what I found to be great. Most of it’s been mentioned above. First days avocado’s and eggs. After that dehydrated pork which was delicious. Unsweetened coconut flakes and macadamias were great for a snack, and often what I had for lunch. This really got me through most of the trip. I had some dehydrated food and chia but really didn’t need it. I did take salt and vinegar along to keep the electrolytes up. I also took some coconut oil but found I didn’t need that either. Enjoy your hikes.

(Bob M) #10

Pemmican

https://grasslandbeef.com/beef-pemmican-honeycherry-free-bar