Keto Food Plan

(Nancy M Kenny) #1

Hi, I would love a recommendation for a solid beginning ketogenic food plan. There is so much information on the web that I find it all a bit overwhelming

(Rachel) #2

My first introduction to keto way of eating was through keto connect.

If you go to this link to their website and scroll down you’ll find a place to enter your email and they will send you a meal plan.

(Andrew Anderson) #3

There is a lot, but you are in the right place! Check out the pinned posts and other info in the Newbie category. Ketogenic Diet - How to Get Started

A simple start would be eliminating sugar ad reducing carbs to below 20. Carbs are sneaky so be on the look out!

(KB Keto) #4

My experience has been this - find a few things that you like that you know are high fat, low/no carb/ moderately low protein and base your initial diet around those.

Then play around with high fat - the more the merrier. early on focus on getting fat and limiting protein while trying your best to not eat any carbs (you’re going to get them from incidentals)

The hardest part I found was keeping protein low enough and fat high enough

(Nancy M Kenny) #5

Thanks. Yes too much protein is what I am concerned about. I’m using my weight as a guide for grams however I don’t have an exact lean body muscle number.

Nan

(KB Keto) #6

Nanny stick to around 90g of protein, less than 20g of net carbs and the rest of your calories in fat. I dont know your stats but thats a good starting number to set and play with. If you’re a small person, you can drop your protein some, but you need to make sure you are getting enough to maintain your muscle.

Try this calculator that I found - it’s my favorite of all the keto ones out there: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

(charlie3) #8

The guidelines I started with 2 years ago are, whole food, low carb. My third thing is, use Cronometer. Log what you used to eat and see what you’ve been getting from your food. Going forward it may help you find the right mix of things that have the nutrition plus being filling and enjoyable to eat. Measure progress in months, not days or weeks. A benefit of increasing activity is more calories burned so you can eat more food which makes it easier to get more micro nutrients from food instead of pills. One thing to consider is have blood work in the beginning to have starting points.