Keto Flu Problems

(Alex) #1

Hey guys, I need some help here.
I started Keto about 3 times now. The first time, my Keto Flu was pretty bad. I was very weak and depressed so I just gave up.
The second time was better. I almost didn’t even feel any of the effects of the Keto Flu, but after about 2 months, I ate some junk food, so I decided to make that a cheat day.
Ever since, I’ve been sticking to the program, just like I did the previous times.
However, I am now experiencing a very bad case of the Keto Flu. Just like I did the first time, maybe even worse: I am very depressed, my head and my body hurt and I often feel dizzy.
This has been going on for over a week now, and it’s only getting worse.
Any thoughts on why this is happening? I mean, I know what the Keto Flu is, but can the degrees of severity fluctuate? If so, then why?
Thanks a bunch!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The keto flu is a symptom of too-low sodium. Your kidneys excrete sodium at a much greater rate, without insulin to tell them to hang on to it. All you have to do is to increase your salt intake and drink to thirst. Ignore the recommended daily salt intake, because it is set far too low for most people.

Constipation is another symptom of low sodium, by the way. Also, some people have to supplement magnesium and potassium, but my favorite way of doing so is leafy green vegetables.

(Alex) #3

Thanks a lot for the tips Paul, I’ll give them a shot! All the best!

Agree with Paul, lots of salt

(Ron) #5

Make this -

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Definately work on your electrolytes. The dizziness is a sure sign if not enough salt. Nausea too if you get that.

That being said, beyond Keto Flu, you may be likely to experience weakness regardless. This is because you are depriving your body of the carbs it normally uses for fuel. But it takes some time for your body to learn to use the ketones you are producing efficiently for fuel.
In the interm, you will experience weakness and listlisness. Electrolytes can help you feel better, but they won’t take this away. It’s something you have to power through. You may be tempted to add carbs to feel better, but this will just prolong the time it takes to get past it.

(Alec) #7

Another arena to check is your blood pressure, check that it is not too low. Some of your symptoms sound a bit low BPish. Just a thought.

But if your BP is low, what do you do? Eat more salt! Same as everyone above!:crazy_face::rofl:

(Hank) #8

Add Salt and vitamin B. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? If not add this too.

My Keto flu lasted for weeks. I had headaches and bad body aches. I manages this with Advil and Tylenol.

Finally eat more bacon, high end ham, and fatty steaks. Add more butter. As you add fat, it will help.

(Jeannie Oliver) #9

And eat fat bombs. There are many good recipes on this forum and others. Have fun with them.

(Jeannie Oliver) #10

And be sure you are drinking enough water.