Keto flu first day?

(Vicki Stroud) #1

I just started on keto yesterday morning being very careful with what I am putting on my mouth. I started feeing crappy yesterday morning, got some relief after having a cup of broth with a tablespoon of butter in it. I drank a lot of water, luckily I work from home. Started feeling a whole lot worse during the night now sick as a dog. My bmi is areound 35 and I have been eating a lot of crappy food. Will it hit this soon? I feel half dead, I know I did shock my body with the lack of carbs. Since I do phone support from home and it has not been very busy lately, I am trying to figure out a way to get through the day

ugh, sorry to hear this! Yes, I think that some keto flu can hit pretty hard and soon (but then it should be over quickly)

I think you’ll get more responses soon but can you try adding a bit of extra salt to the broth? That might help, as will (might?) ACV in water.

Mostly just hang in there- you’ll feel amazing when your body has adjusted!

(Sophie) #3

I don’t think it’s likely, but keep sucking up the broth/salt because that is the “cure” for “keto flu”. Now if you are really sick from germs, then that’s another story. Hope you feel better soon! KCKO

(Kevin) #4

I got really lucky when I started and did not experience much keto flu. I was worried I was doing something wrong so I started talking to those in the know and was told that if you kept you salt intake fairly high you wouldn’t experience it much. Good luck to you!

(Ana Goitia) #5

I got super sick on my second day as well. I felt like a zombie literally. I drank over 2 lts. of water that day and for dinner I had bacon, avocado and eggs, had a good night sleep and next day I was fresh and like nothing happened! Hope you get better soon!

(Richard Hanson) #6

Hi Vicki,

Congratulations!.. You are off to a great start and it sounds like your body is having a strong reaction to carbohydrate withdrawal.

Hypothesis: The stronger the carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms, the stronger the previous addiction to carbohydrates and the more beneficial is a ketogenic diet.

I am willing to bet the NIH will not fund a study to test this hypothesis and yet they have spent billions trying to prove, unsuccessfully, the diet-heart hypothesis to be true. In any event, carbohydrate withdrawal is a very important event in life, an event to be embraced, celebrated. For many, it marks the beginning of a new and longer life of renewed hope, improved health, and abundant energy. Choosing keto takes courage and I would like to extend a warm welcome to the promised land of butter and bacon!

Keto for life!

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Jen ) #7

Hi Vicky!

I felt awful on Day 2 and I’m currently on Day 7. My worst days were 2-5. I drank gallons of water, took in about 5 grams of salt pills per day plus salted the crap out of everything I could, avocados helped so much (smothered in salt) plus they’re a great source of magnesium and fat, etc.

I know people swear by the Ketoaide but I honestly felt so lousy that I couldn’t get out to buy the ingredients. Also- if you are having diarrhea up your fluids and your sodium.

Feel better soon!

I’m on day 11 and I still haven’t got any “Keto Flu” …maybe it’s a psychological thing. People read that it could happen and then their mind MAKES it happen. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Vicki Stroud) #9

Well I feel much better today drank a lot of water took in a ton of salt. Not 100% but so much better I know I have been major carb dependent

(Richard Hanson) #10

Woot … you are on your way Vicki.

Your body might be over the initial stage of carbohydrate withdrawal, but it can take some time before you are truly keto adapted, before you are efficiently burning fats for fuel, but in the end you are going to feel great.

Keto for life!

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Ken) #11

The best part of experiencing such strong insulin and leptin withdrawl symptoms is that initially you’ll probably lose fat rapidly.

(Vicki Stroud) #12

Not sure how much was water of stuff just getting out of me but -7.4

(Jen ) #13

I thought I was doing something wrong & I was… carbs ALLLL the time! I looked here to see what the heck was going on. I’m happy you didn’t get sick, though!