Keto Diet Myths

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #1

I found a wonderful article on Keto myths that is backed by science and a very interesting read. I cannot take credit for it as I found it on Ketokrate.com it’s full of awesome science and myth busting greatness! This is just a small part of the article.

CLAIM: THE BRAIN RUNS ON GLUCOSE AND A KETO DIET DOES NOT SATISFY THIS DEMAND

Reality: The brain DOES need glucose but not very much; About 30g-50g/day [1]. The body can synthesize this glucose from dietary protein through a process called gluconeogenesis [2]. Carbohydrate not required.

CLAIM: THE KETO DIET IS INCOMPLETE AND WILL RESULT IN DANGEROUS NUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES

Reality: When followed correctly, the Keto diet is one of the most complete and nutritious diets on the planet.

CLAIM: KETOSIS CAN DEVELOP INTO LIFE THREATENING KETO-ACIDOSIS

Reality: It is physiologically impossible for anyone with normal pancreas function to develop Keto-acidosis.

CLAIM: KETOSIS CAN CAUSE DANGEROUS LEVELS OF DEHYDRATION AND ELECTROLYTE DEFICIENCY

Reality: Sort of true–although I would argue the use of the word ‘dangerous’ here. It is true that ketosis promotes water and electrolyte loss but this can easily be mitigated by ensuring adequate water consumption while making sure to consume foods rich in the key electrolytes: sodium, potassium and magnesium.

CLAIM: A KETO DIET RAISES CHOLESTEROL AND INCREASES CHANCE OF HEART DISEASE

Reality: Claims that diet has any effect on cholesterol levels is unfounded, obsolete and shows a lack of modern understanding. Peter Attia will confirm this below. Further, there’s burgeoning research for the argument that total cholesterol levels have little correlation with cardiovascular disease.

Please I encourage anyone to read the rest of these myths, especially newbies like me. Full article is here, Ketokrate.com