Keto Dehydrator recipes.. What is your go to made for keto dehydrated item

After tasting some homemade jerky this month, I have decided to add another kitchen gadget to my list of kitchen gadgets.

An 9 tray food dehydrator. :slight_smile:

So anyone have some favorite recipes for a dehydratorā€¦ I have 3 small kids (2nd grade and younger), a keto wife, a lab who loves food and a cat who runs the house. Recipes for anyone in my household is appreciated.

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

You can use it for preserving excess inventory of vegetable when they are on sale or your garden is in full production.

Herbs, mushrooms, peppers all lend themselves to dehydrating nicely, Iā€™m sure there are others. Many dry fruits but all that accomplishes is further concentrating the evil sugar.

(Jan) #4

Jerky, for sure. I make a simple teriyaki marinade with about equal parts soy sauce (aloha low sodium is my favorite), sake, and maybe 1/2 part powdered erythritol. I also add fresh grated ginger, fresh garlic, some chili powder or several sliced chiliā€™s. Marinate thin sliced beef at least overnight, then dry at ~125 until very dry. Make sure to use spray grease on parchment, those screen inserts, or the solid trays. Iā€™ve ruined several dehydrator trays when the marinade glued the meat to the barsā€¦
My Hawaiian son in law likes it simpler: on thin sliced beef, sprinkle with sea salt, ground pepper & garlic powder. More crispy, less chewy, but still really good.
My own favorite: tomatoes. I know, carbsā€¦ but soooo Damn good, and a way to preserve those awesome summer home-growns. Again, spray-grease tray liner, salt, pepper, garlic powder. A slice or two satisfies, such concentrated flavor. For me: worth designating a few of my daily carb allowances every once in a while.

(Jo Lo) #5

We got an extruder and we make our beef jerky out of ground (grass fed) beef. Works great. We make it in 2 lb batches. We just add a little salt and pepper. Takes about 8 hrs in our dehydrator.

I like salmon jerky. I donā€™t usually have a recipe, just add Worcester, soy, maybe siracha, or garlic. Used to use molasses, but now put some sweetener like sucralose or erythritol. I tend to mix it up and if I happen to see a spice while Iā€™m making it, toss it in. Summer months itā€™s wild Alaskan salmon, and winter months itā€™s steelhead trout( great fat on these). I donā€™t touch the farm raised Atlantic salmon because itā€™s disgusting.

Tastes like fish candy( not a bad thing). Itā€™s hard to stop from eating too much.

(Carol Motsinger) #7

raw crackers
I found this recipe on a youtube raw food channel, sorry I canā€™t remember the name.
1 3/4 c almond flour
4 TBSP nutritional yeast (has a cheesy flavor)
1/2 tsp salt
1 to 2 tsp your choice of seasoning- I have done cheese powder, and rosemary herb blend, both versions were great
1/4 c chia gel- (chia seeds soaked over night. I do 1/3 c seeds to 2 c water and keep in a container in the fridge and scoop out what I need.)
1 TBSP coconut oil
blend all together. spread out on fruit leather tray, or parchment paper as thin as you can. will be sticky, use water on your hands or tools. I split it between 3 trays so to get it real thin. Dehydrate 10 hrs at highest setting, mine is 158 degrees. after a few hours score the crackers, if you wait til they are done they will break all apart when you try to cut. I also flip mine when they are dry enough to do it.

(Annette) #8

I havenā€™t had salmon jerky before. Your recipe sounds delicious. How do you prepare the salmon? Strips? Chunks? (I donā€™t have a clue!)

Thanks!

Could sugar free beef jerky be this easy? Basically replaced the sugar in a couple of recipes with what ever sugar substitute we had in the cupboardā€¦ marinade tasted greatā€¦

Upcoming Flavors:
Thit Kho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Jerky)
Teriyaki (made for kids, still sugar free, but not carb freeā€¦ did use some mirin/wine)

I think I have enough equipment to actually make a sugar free beef jerky businessā€¦ I can now Blend up the marinade, dehydrate the jerky and vacuum pack the jerky for sellā€¦

If i only didnā€™t have 3 kids, a current career and a side business already. :slight_smile:

I cut them into strips, no thicker than 1/4 inch. I leave the skin on and this protects the fat. The skin itself will be near impossible to eat once dehydrated, so I scrap of the fat with my teeth and discard the skin.

Iā€™ve read that you should stick the roast in the freezer to make it easier to slice then ā€¦ is there any rule of thumb like ā€œxxx minutes per xxx poundsā€ so that I donā€™t let it get too frozen solid? Or is it as simple as just having it chilled enough to feel ok when youā€™re cutting?
(and using a nice sharp knife too)

(Annette) #12

Thanks! I think I can do that. Will look forward to the Spring run.

(Steve) #13

Not sure there is a set lbs to freezer time as it really depends on the thickness and not so much weight. It definitely helps. I usually started at 30 mins for a typical bottom round that is usually about 4-5 inches thick.
I use a cheap meat slicer I purchased from Samā€™s Club years ago and it helps me get consistent thickness. Another option is to just ask your butcher to slice for you since they have the ā€˜niceā€™ equipment.

Doneā€¦ absolutely exquisite. Kids approved their teriyaki version and the Vietnamese jerky came out very similar to what you can buy in Vietnamese delis.

(Guardian of the bacon) #15

Our local grocer smokes their own meats. They sell peppered Butt Bacon made from pork butts instead of pork belly for $2.99 / lb. It is cured and smoked already. They slice it for me and I stick it directly in the dehydrator. It makes an awesome jerky. It is fattier than a beef jerky so I keep it refrigerated. It has never lasted long enough to have to worry about the fat going rancid.

(Jason Cordier) #16

Just got a dehydrator today. Canā€™t wait to try all these recipes! Crackers look fantastic! I live in South Korea, so there is literally nothing processed in this country without large volumes of sugar included. Very excited to see how this turns out! Thank you!

(roxanna) #17

Iā€™ve been obsessed with homemade jerky in my dehydrator. I just buy thin shaved/fatty steak and add some salty seasoning and vinegar and/or mustard and dehydrate it forever. It gets super crispy and delicious.

Still trying to perfect a beef jerky spice mix. Learned somethingā€¦ Donā€™t do 7 lbs in an unproven mixā€¦ results in a very salty jerkyā€¦ HAHAH live and learn.

(Roxanne) #19

I used to make jerky many years ago and still have a dehydrator, so Iā€™m inspired to try again. I used to use a preservative (Prague powder something or other?) but donā€™t see that in the recipes above. How long does jerky keep? Does jerky with a higher fat content go rancid quickly?

$10.00 beef round converted into 7 keto jerky pouches. Told the wife the dehydrator is literally making :moneybag: for us. :rofl::joy:

I went back to a Asian traditional jerky marinade with some stevia substitution for sugar. My black pepper zero sugar or sweetener jerky from last week was a failure.

Last year I thickly sliced strawberries and dried them. They are phenominal! Fresh berry taste in the dead of winter, so delicious!