Keto & Crossfit. What to take pre and post workout?

(Jo) #1

Hey
I’ve been doing keto since August, which i love and i have seen great results! Since Xmas i have moved in to a more “relaxed” keto diet but i’m mostly not reaching 50 grams of carbs a day.

I started working out and doing Crossfit 3 weeks ago, love the classes but feel like my nutrition is lacking
I’m sure i don’t eat enough on workout days but i am just so full!
I feel i should be having a snack before working out and eating like a recovery snack/drink after but i just don’t know what the best thing for my body is. I’m worried i am not fuelling my body sufficiently before training and refuelling myself properly after a workout

I’ve heard about people eating carbs before and after a workout or taking some kind of supplement?..which i’d be totally ok with but i’ve no idea what i should be doing

I’d love to hear any suggestions about pre and post workout foods/drinks
Thanks
Jo

(Jack Bennett) #2

Are you feeling tired or “running out of gas” during workouts? You probably have enough muscle glycogen to complete most workouts unless you’re doing ultra marathons or other workouts that take >2h. In that case you might do better with some carb supplements.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

I do all my weightlifting just prior to breaking a 60hr water fast. I’ve tried breaking the fast before workouts to see if it gave me any additional power or endurance. I couldn’t tell the difference in any of my sets, so I went back to lifting fasted.

I don’t see much value in adding a snack. There is definitely value in getting some protein after the workout though.

That said, everyone is different. Try it both ways for a week and see what feels best.

One of my buddies that’s also keto takes a spoonful or two of coconut oil since it is about half MCT.

He says he has more energy after doing that as opposed to exercising fasted.

YMMV

(Little Miss Scare-All) #5

You know, I experimented doing the same with coconut oil instead of my C8, and the coconut oil actually hindered my lifts and cardio endurance. It felt like everytime I did it, I felt irritated at every rep and time dragged. Thats just me, tho.

Maybe, possibly, its because coconut oil has not just C8 but also C10 and C12, which are not easily converted into energy as straight up C8? This is just a guess. No idea if I’m right or wrong.

I’m not sure as I haven’t tried it before. I don’t know if it is a placebo or is beneficial

(Jo) #7

Hey
Thanks for all the responses, February seems like forever ago and so does me doing cross fit!
I ended up stopping Cross Fit ( thanks covid!)

I also have some issues with low mood which results in zero motivation for anything because doing anything which is supposed to be “fun” just feels meh and empty, so why bother.

Side note, i was hoping Keto would boost my mood but the only benefit i found was losing a bunch of weight.

I recently bought myself a home weights setup, bench press, squats, deadlifts … the full program :slight_smile:

Going to start next week with training!

Hopefully this will give my mood a boost

(Karen) #8

Is it the low mood that is stopping you from resuming crossfit? It was hard for me to continue during lockdown even though our box was lending out equipment. I just didnt have the room for a bar bell so concentrated on cardio at home. Then they started doing some classes on zoom and skype but I am techno phobic so avoided them and again space was limited even if I had wanted to join in.
It was a real anxiety issue going back with knowing I had lost a fair bit of upper body strength but I forced myself and so glad I did. It is still hard but I’m getting there and always glad I did the class even when, like today, I was dying through the workout lol. I hope you find you happy place again cos believe me I hear you x