Keto Carb Numbers

(Donna) #1

Hi everyone! Would anyone share with me your carb intakes below. I started Keto 2 weeks ago and I am curious about others.

1. What was your carb number when you started Keto?

2. How long from the start of Keto did you try to stay within that same number?

3. What was your more perminate approximate carb number you settled for?

Thanks for any info!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2
  1. I didn’t count initially (I was pregnant). I simply cut out breads and pastas and potatoes.
  2. Since January (or so) I’ve been trying to keep under 20g.
  3. It ranges, but stays under 20g.

(mole person) #3

I started with lazy keto and didn’t really count carbs. I’d guess I was at around 50 grams at the start. As my weight loss slowed I cut them back bit by bit. I found that I experienced better health and better weight regulation when carbs were low so I continued cutting them. I’ve settled on nearly zero. I think I had 2 grams today.

(Donna) #4

I was trying to stay between 15-20. I realized that is not enough carbs for me and I was having a very hard time finding enough foods to eat within my calorie range, that didn’t take me so far out of the range. I could barely walk. I probably shouldn’t have went cold turkey considering, I was a carb fanatic before. I haven’t been eating any of the breads, snacks, processed foods or starchy foods for two weeks. I have been so weak. I ate my first piece of wheat bread along with my other carb allowance and I feel better. I think I needed to up my carbs for me personally. Thanks for the feedback!

(Donna) #5

Wow zero is astonishing. I was doing 15-20 and I was having a hard time not going over and I barely could find food choices in my calorie intake daily to stay at 20 carbs

(mole person) #6

It’s normal to be weak in the first few weeks. It gets better though once you fat adapt. Are you eating plenty of fats and a lot of salt? Both of those will help you feel better. Keep your carbs low. If you are consuming enough carbs to prevent ketosis then you will get zero benefits from this diet.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

You said that you started only 2 weeks ago. I’d suggest that you need to make sure you are getting enough salt. And that you are getting enough calories from protein and fat.

If you provide us some basic info:

• height
  • current weight
  • goal weight

we might be able to give you some better suggestions.

(Donna) #8

I am using the Myfitnesspal and I am unable to copy my food diary, so I could paste for you. Bummer.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

You can just type in a summary, or do a screenshot / screen capture :slight_smile:

(Donna) #10

I have been trying to encorporate more of the healthy fats, like olive oils, coconut oil, avacodo, etc. I bought some MCT oil for my shakes. I just don’t think I can handle all the fattier foods I see people eating. I was on a thread where lots of people were posting what they ate for the day and I couldn’t imagine eating anywhere nearthe amounts and type of foods. I have tried to figure out my fats from other sources and better food choices, but I am having a hard time coming up with enough to fit in the high fat percentage. I believe I am in Ketosis now. I guess I am am having a hard time all around with trying to get my calories in, all while staying under carbs and getting the right fat and protein amounts.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Started at less than 20, one year later still less than 20, when I get where I am going (dead) I will still be less than 20. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

I know many people here have trouble with dairy. That said, if dairy doesn’t bother you, and you can fit in the carbs…I usually drink 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream, flavored with an MCT powder. That gives me 450-900 (or so) calories and 40-80g of fat. I’m a small person already so I have to be creative in getting my fat in.

(Donna) #14

Thanks! I am trying to stay at 20 myself.

(Donna) #15

That makes sense. I have issues with some dairy, but not all. Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

20 g/day

2-1/2 years

20 g/day

(Donna) #17

So many seem to do good with 20. I was told not to go over 50 max, so I am maybe going to up it to 30. I will have to monitor my weight loss, as I move forward and make adjustments if needed. I did go as low as 14, but that was killing me. I couldn’t even find foods to eat barely, that would give me my nutrition and I felt so bad. I did eat some wheat bread today and it made me feel so much better. I hadn’t had bread in two weeks and all I wanted was to feel a little better

(Donna) #18

I will be getting off the computer for the night to tend to something, but will respond to additional psots tomorrow. Didn’t want anyone to think I was ignoring them. Thanks for all your imputs.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

I started out eating quite a lot of vegetables. Eating a lot of vegetables makes everything harder. People always talk about moderate protein. I think it should be moderate vegetables, protein to satiety and adequate fat so you don’t end up in an energy slump. The amount of body fat we each have and other factors make the fat macro silly I think unless you have reached maintenance. It’s important to eat it daily but you shouldn’t try to hit an arbitrary number that a calculator gives you as if it’s written in stone. You have to figure it out that if you don’t include x amount of fat you feel sluggish because you won’t get much energy to burn from your carbs and protein and accessible body fat.

So for me it’s usually about 65-70% of my calories or 1000-1200 kcal. I don’t try to get to that number it just happens the way I eat, and I don’t slather fat on everything I eat. It’s just my food choices and limiting vegetables so I don’t fill up on vegetables before eating enough eggs, cheese and meat for the day. I feel fuller for longer and have lost more weight without lots of vegetables. I do enjoy the taste of them immensely though.

@Blessings Eating bread will give you relief from carb withdrawal but it won’t help you progress past the bad feelings in a helpful way. You need to stay less than 20g and keep Salt high and eat plenty of good food starting out to avoid feeling bad. Keep your hydration up. If you’re eating enough of the right foods it’s easy get fat in generous amounts. Here’s what I ate today for an example.

image image image

I set carb and protein macros to a upper limit, not a target and set my fat macro to zero. This was two meals, breakfast at 10am and supper at 2:30 pm. This will do me till tomorrow morning, I never snack.

:cowboy_hat_face:

Started out making sure I was under 20 net carbs, I naturally rarely even hit 12-15 total carbs now as my food list and appetite for certain things has changed.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #21

You don’t have to do what I do, it’s what works for me and I keep mixing it up too.

:cowboy_hat_face: