Keto Calculator Conundrum

Hi!
I’ve been keto for 15 weeks and lost 12lbs. Now I’m rethinking my approach due to weight stall, carb creep and realizing I’m overdoing it on the protein (average 92g/day)…

Here’s my confusion - others on the forum have recommended I stick to about 44g protein/day, as that is what the RDA recommends. (I am 5’4" woman, 120 lbs.) But here is what the macro calculators are telling me to do:

KETOCONNECT: 1790 calories/72.6g protein/157g fat
RULED.ME: 1536 calories/73g protein/130g fat
PERFECT KETO: 1408 calories/70g protein/117g fat

Any clarification of this from experienced ketoers? Also, what is with that calorie variation? There’s a 400 calorie range! I know that if I did 1400 I would be insanely hungry all the time…
I appreciate any input. Thank you. <3

(Tom) #2

I wouldn’t worry about the calories, it’s not that relevant. Hunger can be satisfied by fat much more easily than by carbs for example.

20g Carbs, 0.8-1g Protein per KG of ideal healthy weight, and fat to satiety is the motto of the 2KetoDudes podcast and works for me. So the protein seems a bit high maybe.

12lb in 15 weeks sounds perfect. Keep ketoing on!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Really, the protein is very close on all three, and I’m assuming the carbs were all 20g’s, so you have your base right there. The fat, and thus total calories, would be determined by your satiety. Eat fat till you feel full. Some days that may be in the 1400 range. Some days in the 1700 range.
I for one like to change up my calories like that. I feel like my body learns to adapt if I stay in the same range each day and my metabolism needs a kick in the pants.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

At 120 pounds, you weigh about 54 kilos. The usual recommendation for protein is about a gram per kilo of lean body mass, so you might want to consider cutting back on the protein. Keep carbohydrate as low as possible, and eat fat to give your body the remainder of the calories it needs. If you eat until you are not hungry (satiety), your body will have enough energy to heal your metabolism and adjust your body composition to a healthier mix.