Keto bread failures

I am looking for keto bread and I am about to give up.

I started out with coconut flour …yeuuach!. I just could not swallow the bread, no matter what type of CF or recipe I followed. It would start out OK in my mouth, but then I would have to herk it because I felt like I was seriously choking

So I tried Psyllium husk…passable, if you cooked it just right.

Recipe:
2 eggs
2 TBSP Psyllium powder
pinch of xanthan gum powder
1 good tsp baking powder (also tried 2)
2TBSP melted butter

Drop the eggs in the cup and add the the other stuff, stirring with each addition 90 secs in the Mwave.

So then I tried psyllium husk powder, which is really like flour.

Trouble is, if I used the same recipe that worked for for a 90 second in a cup “loaf” it would rise great, then when the energy was taken out of it, it behaved like a very failed soufflé and end up a sort of soft, grey rubber. It tasted reasonable, but yeah like overcooked cold porridge. Easy to swallow once chewed

What is happening please?

As I say, it rises well, and possibly too well, and then collapses.

So what gives, please?

Thanks for any help.

Nothing you ever make will taste like real bread. Go with Schmidt’s 647 bread or Nature’s Own Keto bread. If you have Kroger’s where you are their Carbmaster line does a bread now as well but I haven’t tried it, it’s supposedly good.

My vaguely bread like stuff has flour just little and lots of gluten and other stuff… But if you want some simple bread, I found the almond ones pretty nice. I don’t remember the ratio but not much ground almond per egg, that was good :slight_smile: And not bread like, of course, one needs gluten and yeast for that and I never was okay with it without some starch… And even so, it’s not like “normal” bread (thankfully, I don’t like breads with lots of flour and no eggs!), just somewhat similar and it raises and everything.

I experimented with various recipes (more like for cakes, bread rarely was important for me) and sometimes it did what yours did :slight_smile: I think it happened when my stuff had too little flour or when I didn’t whip the eggs for something that was good when I did so… Or when I skipped baking soda but you added baking powder, many times more than what I ever added (1/4 teaspoon probably would ruin the taste already, be it baking powder or baking soda, I am sensitive to that but I found that a tiny bit always worked. no idea why all the recipes use so much).

The butter seems excessive too. I use that amount of fat for 2 eggs but with very much other things, about 200g “flour” (gluten, fiber, oily seeds, tiny coconut flour - it’s never good in bigger amounts though some people like that too… I definitely don’t and it’s sweet and coconut tasting anyway, not good for a bread unless we want it sweet and coconut-y. coconutty? :D)… But that’s a raising bread with yeast…

Oh, microwave, of course. Use the oven, maybe? Some doughs just don’t work in the microwave. But it’s possible there are various issues.

This collapse thing is done by my egg sponge cakes (100% eggs but I need to call them somehow and they are sponge cakes just without the flour and sugar). Some flour solves it, flour is in a wide sense, fiber works but fiber is usually tasteless or not nice tasting so it doesn’t do good to the taste when used alone and not in super tiny amounts. Fiber and some oily seed, that’s better.
But my sponge cakes are nice when collapsed too. As the egg is whipped and I bake them in the oven. The rubbery microwave thing is less nice though the taste may be good if the ingredients are right.

I am not sure I helped any but you are welcome to my braindump. I am a bit far from baking now since I try to stay close to carnivore… But I still have my moments when I have off times.
Fortunately eggs are great as bread for me, I can put some spread on my sponge cake muffins… They are nothing like bread but not everyone wants that, often the role (as a base for things on it) and some properties (dry, somewhat fluffy thing… in its collapsed way) is enough.

(Robin) #4

My keto friend gets bread at Braum’s, of all places. Some sort of keto brand. It says low carb, I think. She uses it a lot. I haven’t tried it.

(Carnivore for the win) #5

When I ate keto, I found chaffles to be a great substitute for bread. I enjoyed lots of sandwiches, paninis, mini pizzas, and hamburgers using chaffles.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Aren’t you supposed to separate the whites, beat them until stiff, and then fold them into the rest of the mixture before baking? If you have been doing that, sorry the recipe isn’t working. If you haven’t been doing that, try it, and see if it helps.

Myself, I find that every keto “bread” recipe tastes far too eggy. Now, I love eggs, but not as a bread substitute . . . :cry:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Stop flagellating yourself. There is life after bread. You’ll still have the good memories and after awhile you won’t miss it. Best wishes. :bread:

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Try this for a loaf of keto bread I usually do 12 instead of 18, easier to cut that way and added carbs per slice is still under 5. Reg. bread is always 20 or more carbs per slice.

KETO BREAD RECIPE
Makes 18 slices
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup unflavored low carb protein powder
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 60 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
To a food processor, add melted cheese, eggs, almond flour, protein powder, sour cream, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse until combined.

• Add the bread dough to a loaf pan
    9x5 ins. lined with parchment paper and coated with cooking spray.
  • Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30-32 minutes. Let cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the loaf pan. May only take less time depending on your oven. Check after 20 minutes. Bake until golden brown on top.

MACROS PER SLICE:
Calories: 178
Fat: 13.5 g
Total Carbs: 3.7 g
Net Carbs: 2.4 g
Protein: 12 g

If you want something that isn’t loaf style try Oopsie Bread.
3 eggs
3 1/2 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt

Instructions

1. Separate the egg whites into one bowl and the egg yolks into another.

2. Whisk the egg whites until very firm and peaks will form. NOTE: important make sure they have peaks.

3. In the other bowl add the cream cheese to the yolks and whisk until there are no lumps of cream cheese left.

4. Add the baking powder and whisk again.

5. Gently fold the egg white mixture and egg yolk mixture together. NOTE: This is very important, lightly fold them together or it won’t come out right.

6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment or silicon sheet, to stop them from sticking.

7. Place a large spoon of mixture at 180C/350F for 5-10 minutes.

And if you prefer an American style biscuit type bread there is this:
20 Tablespoons egg whites
2 1/2 cups almond flour
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon erythritol
6 tablespoons butter

Instructions

1. Use a hand mixer to beat egg whites until frothy but not stiff. Add in almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and erythritol and mix well with the hand mixer. Add in butter and use hand mixer until well blended. Add mozzarella cheese and stir thoroughly.

2. Grease a muffin tin and fill each well 3/4 full. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes.

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

I like this one. Easy. Tastes great cut in half, buttered, then toasted.
Diet Doctor Keto Bread

I couldn’t agree more with this. Oldnick, my tip to you is to stop trying to find keto versions of highly addictive foods like grains and sweets. There are thousands upon thousands of YouTube videos/recipes of keto crackers/desserts, etc. Just ignore them.

I couldn’t make a keto bread to save my life LOL
I also couldn’t buy one that tasted anything evenly remotely I would call great.

I even tried those bagels, ahhh, hmm, Ever Good Keto Bagel or something like that cause it got rave reviews…had alot of keto bread sent to my house only to throw it all out :slight_smile:

But ya know, when someone hits on a great keto bread and they enjoy it, I believe it can be a wonderful addition to their plan. I think many who find the taste ‘acceptable’ do ok on a keto bread to make those sandwiches or even use it as breadcrumbs in meatloaf etc…but it is a personal walk on who can keep those in their lives and who has to walk away from that type of thing…bread :slight_smile:

best of luck finding one that suits you

This :point_up: … As far as bread goes, this seems to be the one that is closest to ‘regular’ bread. I’m not real fond on breads myself, never was, but the Wife and Son still like to partake and these do well. So they use the 647 breads now and are quite happy with them. Being 6 carbs a slice isn’t too bad and they do have quite a few types to choose from as well. The Wife likes the Italian, and my Son likes the Wheat. But they also don’t eat it daily, just for the occasional Burger, or simple sand-which. … I will do one here and there myself, and they aren’t bad, but most times I just prefer not to eat any.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

I have a friend whose toaster caught on fire, because he buttered the bread before toasting it. Fortunately, they got the fire out before it damaged the rest of the kitchen, but the toaster was a complete loss. As I recall, they never let him use the new toaster, lol!

thank goodness he didn’t stick a knife down to get the bread out before it was all unplugged :clown_face:

How heavy is a slice? If it’s almost nothing like a slice of sliced breadfluff, it’s way more carby than my hybrid bread I start with a piece of normal bread based on wheat flour! 6g carbs per slice is very much!
Okay, it may fit into someone’s life if they can stop at 1-2 slices but it’s so easy to make a bread way less carby… But of course, it may sacrifice some taste (depends on the person. I strongly prefer the egg taste but I dislike most low-carb flours. I can make a tasty spicy bread where the spice masks tiny taste problems but not a neutral one. maybe with almonds but I don’t do that for various reasons) or similarity to wheat breads…
So I can easily imagine it may work for some :slight_smile: I ate chocolate banana every day on keto in the first months if I remember correctly and it was worth it and even needed so I don’t have any right to say to a very different individual what is worth it and what not :slight_smile:
Convenience may be very important anyway. Not all of us want to do our own baking. I always did it due to my choosiness and evolving tastes. And because food industry does things I dislike.

Far as I know, the slices are about the same size as regular bread. They do not appear thin to me. But I guess 6 carbs a slice is better then the normal breads. … It’s nice for the occasional sandwich, but yep, anytime I have the rare occasion to eat it, it’s just two for a sandwich, no more. So if I do 2 hamburgers, I will eat one on the plate, or double them up. It’s not bad I guess, but I was never big on breads myself.

I have very little idea about regular bread slice sizes… :smiley: I just know the shop-bought fluff sliced bread is super light (I saw some at my aunt. I don’t buy bread since 20 years) while my SO regularly cut 200g slices from his own bread (usually baked by me though he can make it too. but he skips the fat and an eggless, fatless bread sounds too sad, not for my household! :D)… But those aren’t proper slices, they are a bit on the thick side… My bread loaves are even smallish just quite dense… If I baked those 5kg loaves, a slice would be heavy :smiley:
My very own bread is tiny, not very dense and I cut the thinnest slices, maybe even not a whole one. I can cut 10g just fine but I have no idea about my normal ones… But I have a slice in my fridge now… 58g. Fluff breads are scary if they pull it off in way less weight for a big slice…

I never was a bread person and found rice meh too… Until low-carb. They became tempting occasionally then… Sigh. Bread is almost exotic now… And still great with good butter or lard, even the carby ones. Fortunately I had way more positive changes though my tastes tend to be very, very stubborn. If I liked the taste of something in my past, I probably find it tasty now just not necessarily tempting. I feel things sweeter and flour often tastes flour now, ew. But most things tastes the same (just sweeter in many cases).

(Bob M) #18

I plan on making this one day, once I get everything:

While I’ve been eating without bread for years, it would be nice to have a bread substitute sometimes. For instance, my oldest often eats on a bus (she goes from one school to another in the middle of the day). We give her low carb wraps, but a bread would be nice.

The dietician also showed a grilled cheese sandwich that looked great. I haven’t had a grilled cheese sandwich in…forever. 30 years? But if I could make them for my kids, I might have one.

I don’t get it! I said I created a loaf that was successful, if a little gritty, using psyllium husk, not the powder. AFAICS nobody has tried to address that problem for me.

I have been non-bread diabetic for 10+ years and you are wrong. I still crave a nice sandwich quite often…tomato…bacon…ham etc. The loaf I made with whole husk was great, but like a really coarse wholegrain loaf.