Keto Books

(Danielle ) #1

Went to the bigger bookstore chain in the UK today to look for keto books. However, of the 13 bookshelves about food, diets and health, I found one low carb recipe book, and nothing about keto.

I am looking more for informational and interesting books, like the Big Fat Lie, Obesity š‚šØššž , etc.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Danielle

What I see everyday. Stroke, Dementia, heart disease
(karen) #2

Iā€™m reading Eat Rich, Live Long: Use the power of low-carb and keto for weight loss and great health. Itā€™s by Ivor Cummins and Jeffry Gerber, just printed this year. I was hugely impressed with some of Ivor Cumminsā€™ online interviews so figured Iā€™d give it a shot. So far Iā€™m pleased with the book, itā€™s easy to read and covers a lot of topics, altho itā€™s a little more pro-carb than I am and, while the other science is in there, Iā€™d definitely categorize it as a diet book.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Iā€™m reading that one too.

(Barbara M) #4

I just finished Gary Taubes, Why we get fat. Kindle 11.99 (worth it!). The history of obesity I found interesting. Eye opening!

Iā€™m reading that one too. I like it so far.

Here are a list of the books related to this topic that Iā€™ve purchased since last September. Iā€™ve read many of them, tried to read one or two others, and have yet to read the restā€¦

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss by Jason Fung

I read The Obesity Code one after watching a number of Jasonā€™s videos / interviews. Itā€™s definitely worth reading.

The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended by Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore

Lots of good nuts and bolts info on fasting in this book. I learned a lot from it, but did not like the format as much - too many sidebars in my opinion. These might be okay in the print version of the book, but really interrupted the flow in the kindle version.

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet by Eric Westman D and Jimmy Moore

I only made it a short ways into this book - in my opinion, it does not flow at all. I think it should be possible to work in the ā€œMoment of Clarityā€ quotes into the text so that it flows better. Also, Iā€™m guessing that these keto experts have a lot of other interesting stuff to say on the matter; it might have been better to consolidate their thoughts instead of sprinkling them throughout the book.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney

A dense book, but I read all of it. Worth reading, IMO.

The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great by Westman, Phinney, and Volek

I read a ways into this one, but have set it aside for now. After reading Stephen Phinneyā€™s other books, Iā€™m convinced that there are advantages to doing strict keto; I may read more of it if I decide to relax my diet a bit.

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes

Awesome book. I really enjoyed learning about the history of sugar and how it became so pervasive in our diet. I found his arguments about sugar being the root cause of many of our modern ailments to be convincing too.

The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis by Jacob Wilson and Ryan Lowery

Interesting info on exogenous ketones, though IMO, they spend too much time and space in their book on this topic. That said, there are some populations who canā€™t or wonā€™t modify their diets to achieve ketosis naturally, so exogenous ketones (and the attendant research) make sense for those folks.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek

Excellent book. I plan to re-read this one.

Lore of Nutrition: Challenging conventional dietary beliefs by Tim Noakes and Marika Sboros

I havenā€™t finished this one yet. It tells the story of Professor Noakesā€™ professional misconduct inquiry in South Africa. Iā€™m not far enough into it yet to know about whether it contains more general information about keto as well. Itā€™s very detailed - someone who wants a blow by blow account of the inquiry, hearings, and Noakesā€™ ultimate vindication will find it interesting. If you just want information about keto, look elsewhere.

(I know a little of his story from a number of videos that Iā€™ve watched; I think this one might be more detailed than I care for. That said, Iā€™ll probably pick it up again and read a bit further into it.)

The Truth About Statins: Risks and Alternatives to Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs by Barbara H Roberts, MD.

This is not a keto book. As I recall, the author is an advocate of the Mediterranean diet. She does present some useful info on statins though. I learned a lot from this book even though Iā€™m not following her diet advice.

Fat and Cholesterol Donā€™t Cause Heart Attacks and Statins Are Not The Solution by Malcom Kendrick, Uffe Ravnskov, Zoe Harcombe, et al

This is a collection of scholarly papers, one per chapter, from a number of authors. I havenā€™t read all of it yet. I purchased this book after learning that David M Diamond - who has some excellent presentations about statins - had contributed a chapter to this book.

The most compelling chapter that Iā€™ve read thus far is that by Malcom Kendrick, the title of which is ā€œCardiovascular Disease is Primarily Due to Blood Clottingā€. Thereā€™s a lot of technical detail in this chapter, but Kendrick does a good job of making it accessible to the lay reader (which I am). Thereā€™s some interesting history in the introductory material as well.

As noted above, I havenā€™t finished this book yet, but I think that Kendrickā€™s chapter is well worth reading.

The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrongā€“and How Eating More Might Save Your Life by James DiNicolantonio

Not a keto book. But sort of related since itā€™s often important to supplement salt and other electrolytes when on a ketogenic diet. Thereā€™s some interesting history (about salt) in this book and also presentation of salt research.

The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz

Excellent book. Highly recommended along with Taubesā€™ book mentioned above.

The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It by Maclom Kendrick

I picked this one up after being really impressed with Kendrickā€™s chapter in one of the books mentioned above. It has some good nuts and bolts advice about how one might avoid heart disease. I like Kendrickā€™s writing style.

Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor

Not strictly a keto book, but if youā€™re doing keto, youā€™ll probably be on a diet that is mostly compliant with what Davis recommends.

I found his ā€œUndoctoredā€ approach to be compelling, but I think he spends too many paragraphs (chapters even) hyping the approach - I was convinced of the merit to his approach early in the book. There seemed to be a lot of words devoted to this matter without adding much content. I liked the later chapters where he got down to the nuts and bolts of implementing the approach.

Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health by Ken D Berry MD

Iā€™ve watched a number of Berryā€™s videos on youtube. I found it to be an easy to read, but thought provoking book.

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally by Jason Fung

I got both the Kindle and Audible narration of this book. Dr Fung does the narration for his own book!

This is an excellent book. While there is some understandable overlap between this book and his other books, there was not as much as I thought there would be.

Dr Fung provides some excellent analogies to make the material more accessible. He extensively discusses the various interventions being used to treat diabetes and their merits (in a few cases) and drawbacks (in most others).

I think this book should be read by everyone who is either diabetic or on track to becoming (even) pre-diabetic.

The Alzheimerā€™s Antidote: Using a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet to Fight Alzheimerā€™s Disease, Memory Loss, and Cognitive Decline by Amy Berger

Despite the Alzheimerā€™s slant, this is definitely a keto book.

I liked it as I knew almost nothing about Alzheimerā€™s prior to reading the book. The material becomes fairly technical in some chapters, but is presented in an easy to understand manner.

There is some really good nuts-and-bolts info for caregivers to improve the quality of life for the Alzheimerā€™s patients under their care. Berger understands that it may be difficult to get these patients fully on a ketogenic diet and provides some advice about how quality of life may still be improved. (Use of coconut oil, MCT oil, and exogenous ketones is discussed.)

Ketogenic Backpacking: How to Pack Lighter and Go Farther by Fueling with Fat by Bryan Ausinheller

I donā€™t actually do any backpacking, but I do a lot of hiking and was interested in fueling strategies for long hikes. Also, it seemed to me that some of the recipes in this book might be useful for other types of travel too.

The material that came before the recipes was interesting, but was in desperate need of better proofreading. I liked reading his story about hiking the AT with his wife and baby. Especially fascinating are the weight considerations of a fat based diet as opposed to a carb based diet. (I.e. carrying provisions for making fat based meals weighs less than carb based meals.) Thereā€™s also good info on types of foods that survive best without being kept cold.

I havenā€™t tried his recipes yet, though my wife has purchased some of the ingredients for doing so.

Eat Rich, Live Long: Mastering the Low-Carb & Keto Spectrum for Weight Loss and Longevity by Ivor Cummins and Jeffry Gerber

Well written book. I like it so far.

There are some interesting stories about some of Gerberā€™s patients, but these typically are placed at the end of chapters. For me, they provide a welcome interlude between chapters and do not interrupt the flow of the book.

Books that I havenā€™t started yet:

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy by Miriam Kalamian

The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies by Jess Higgins Kelley

Primal Endurance: Escape chronic cardio and carbohydrate dependency and become a fat burning beast! by Mark Sisson and Brad Kearns

(Coinneach Domhnullaich) #6

Phinney and Volek ā€œArt of Low Carbohydrateā€
Nora Gedgaudas ā€œPrimal Body, Primal Mindā€ or ā€œPrimal Fatā€
Jack Kruse ā€œEpi-Paleoā€
The Eades ā€œProtein Powerā€ an older book, but good info.
There are more.
But I donā€™t really know what you are looking for
1a diet book?
2and explanation of the hows and whys of keto?
3a diet and cookbook?
the ones I listed could be considered mostly #2.

(Danielle ) #7

Great suggestions! I have already put at least a dozen in my amazon cart!

Does anyone know any books about keto and hormones? Or keto and women? I definitively think that my hormones are completely whacked without keto and that they stabilises with. This in turn impact my cycle and mood. I suspect that menā€™s hormones are more stable than womenā€™s! :wink:

(Wendy) #8

Iā€™ve got the audio book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Itā€™s fascinating! I also have his shorter book ā€œWhy We Get Fatā€ which is also good. That one I found at the library. :slight_smile:
I enjoyed the Salt Fix and recommend that one as well. And second the Obesity Code as a good read.

(William Craig Jeane) #9

Thanks for the detailed reviews and recommendations for books to read!

(chris) #10

I saw this book at Barnes and Nobel Eat Bacon Donā€™t Jog. I like how he explains things it makes so much more sense, he says things that I havenā€™t heard from any other source. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0761180540