Keto book TABLE in Costco

book

(Candy Lind) #1

I should correct to keto-paleo … along the “featured aisle” in front of the store …

(Scott) #2

Looks like it will be year of the Keto but we found it first!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

I feel like I’ve been here a couple times before. That moment when low carb is set to rewrite the paradigm and change everything… and then Big Carb rises up and smacks it down in the public consciousness for a few years. I feel like we were there in 2004, and again in 2008… and now we’re on the verge of big things… the empire will strike back. It’s what empires do.

(Carl Keller) #4

It is the year of the pig, so it kind of already is.

(Running from stupidity) #5

I doubt anyone’s noticed, but Jillian Michaels has already triggered the first skirmish in this particular battle.

(Carl Keller) #6

There’s no less than two dozen reaction videos on YT in response to her recent keto hazing/self promotional video. Her lack of understanding how keto works made her look comically ignorant to anyone mildly educated about keto.

(Running from stupidity) #7

Which means she’s won the battle already.

Her lack of understanding how keto works made her look comically ignorant to anyone mildly educated about keto.

And so, to 99.9999999 percent of the population, she’s achieving the things she set out to do - self-promote, and bolster her business model by slagging the ever-so-dangerous keto.

(Carl Keller) #8

But did she? Certainly she has negatively affected how some will view keto from here on out but she has motivated one much more popular celebrity to stand up and promote keto. Al Roker blasted JM on twitter and even spoke positively on the Today Show about keto, explaining how all it has done has improved his health, most notably his cholesterol and blood pressure, in addition to him losing 120 pounds.

I honesty had no idea who JM was until recently, but anyone who even casually watches national news media programs does know who Al Roker is. So will people believe what one less popular person says or will they believe what they see with their eyes?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

It’s not just Ms. Michaels. The Guardian is in full anti-keto mode. A few other places. As I said, I have felt like we were at the tipping point before and yet, we’re still here, on the outside.

(Sherrie Watson Ait Azzouzene) #10

I saw a show that he had gastric bypass surgery

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

I believe he has used keto to maintain. Gastric bypass is not permanent (my mom is a recidivist), and you basically eat LC to lose the weight with bypass, because you need the nutrient density in your tiny stomach. If you go for less nutrient dense, caloric rich foods, you will stretch yourself a new stomach, and progressively be able to digest food like you never had the surgery.

Al did both. Bypass, probably via Roux-en-Y, and LCHF for the loss and the maintenance. He is likely one of the best celebrity keto allies, as he’s not seen as a frivolous moron (like Kim Kardashian for instance).

(Carl Keller) #12

I heard that too and it definitely had some influence on his weight loss. But I don’t think putting staples in one’s stomach is going to improve cholesterol markers. It might help BP some but I believe diet is going to have the biggest influence there. Also, if you just shrink your stomach and eat less, you are going to suffer metabolic slowdown. It’s important to change your hormonal behavior to make that weight loss come without dire consequence.

The point is, Roker keeps giving props to keto for improving the quality of his life and he’s not shy about doing it publicly. He may not be telling everyone who is unhealthy that they should do this. He states that there’s positive and negative science on both sides and that you should discuss it with your doctor, but he’s certainly helping undemonize the keto name.

And one thing about gastric bypass:

The surgery does not “work miracles” and patients need to commit to behavioral changes, including adopting a healthy diet,

https://obesitynewstoday.com/gastric-bypass-success-rate/

(Bacon for the Win) #13

He spoke very openly about the bypass back when he had it done. Then we watched as he yoyo’d for years, just like I have done. Nice to see he’s learned that keto works well even after surgery.