Keto baking with protein powder?

(Brent) #1

I’ve seen quite a few keto baking recipes with protein powder like this recipe for naan bread:

The protein powder they want you to use is isopure whey isolate unflavored. This is almost $50 on amazon. Is it really worth it for the effect protein powder gives to dishes (and i will need it for other recipes) or should i forgo the protein powder? Also these 3 pound protein powder containers are usually quite big.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Let me preface this by saying I don’t care what you eat or don’t eat nor why you do and don’t. If you want to eat naan bread, eat naan bread.

My opinion is that ersatz ‘keto’ imitations of carb-loaded foods just reinforce the negative mentality that going keto forced you to ‘give up’ something worthwhile. The biggest hurdle to success with keto is an attitude adjustment. Rather than obsess about what you ‘gave up’ for keto, obsess about what you ‘gained by eating keto’. There’s an entire world of food to discover that you never suspected even existed and now you have access and motivation to explore it. Don’t look back. It serves no useful purpose. ‘Giving up’ naan bread was giving up nothing. Just my humble opinion.

Whey and casein protein powders can have a place in your keto regime. But using them to make ersatz bread is not one. Almond flour is not on my food list either.

I get a small bag of it for $20 at Target and it lasts me forever. I’ve made some recipes that called for it and didn’t use it and they didn’t turn out.

And ignore anyone who says not to eat stuff like this. Hike your own hike.

(Bob M) #4

Maria Emmerich likes egg protein. She recommends some, though my wife buys something cheaper.

I’ve been making her pizza dough/crust recipe using egg protein. (Though we like a chicken pizza crust better.)

My wife makes muffins for the kids with this. She also has tried Maria Emmerich’s “bread”, which also uses protein powder. It’s not bad, but I’ve given up bread for so long, that I don’t have much use for it. A hot ham and cheese or just cheese sandwich may not be bad, though.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Google “keto naan recipe” -protein powder. You will get lots of recipes that do not include protein powder.

(UsedToBeT2D) #6

I agree. My Keto requires no baking. Unless baked chicken counts.

If you’re going to make that or other recipes calling for them, you need some sort of protein powder. It provides both bulk and binding. If you don’t want to buy protein powder, use other recipes.

My local Sprouts grocery store has bulk protein powder so you may be able to find some at yours too. That way it’s not too big an investment.

(Pete A) #8

Bravo.

Unless you only like Isolates or if you have a actual issue with dairy, you can get a lot more for a lot less. You can get a 5lb tub of Levels unflavored grass fed whey for only a couple bucks more. I’m lactose intolerant and it being a concentrate doesn’t screw with me. Being keto you don’t have to care about the ignoreable amount of fat in it.