Keto at a conference

(Greg Saunders) #1

I’ll be at a conference for 5 days, and expect the food to be very non keto-friendly. Most meals will be buffet style, so I can pick and choose to some degree, but if everything is carby, I may have a hard time putting a meal together.I would like to have some food that I can keep in my hotel room fridge (or out of it) to add some fat when needed. I’ve been thinking of getting some pepperoni/sausage and cheese, but I don’t have a lot of other ideas. I don’t have any food allergies other than seafood.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

(Carpe salata!) #2

That’s kinda what I did … pepperoni sausage, cheese, a bottle of ranch dressing, and lots of teabags

I sometimes take canned salmon (or sardines) which I just add to the salad at buffets/cafeterias. Since you have a fridge you could even take some mayo (if you like that).

Also: olives, macadamia nuts, celery, very dark chocolate

And sometimes traveling is a great time to sneak in fasting (or some IF, so that you just have fewer meals to think about).

(jilliangordona) #4

I travel quite a bit and am stuck in the same situation. Here is what I normally bring!

Macadamia nuts
Almond butter
Olives
Atkins protein shakes (not the best for you or taste… but good in a pinch)
Avocados
Pepperoni

I also try and use it as a time to do an extended fast if that is something you practice!

Not sure what seafood you’re allergic to, but these are one of my favorite keto bombs, 760 calories of fatty, omega-6-rich goodness. And they keep forever.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Since the room will have a fridge and a microwave, you could pick up some bacon and cook it in the microwave. It might not get brown and really dried out (the way most people seem to prefer it), but you can cook it pretty thoroughly–and of course all that bacon nectar is there for the drinking (let it cool first!) Depending on the hotel, you might want to bring a dish with you to cook in.

When I microwave bacon, I put it in a glass casserole and set the microwave to five minutes at half-power. I recommend starting with that setting until you get to know the microwave. If it’s underdone, you can always cook it more, but if you start a fire in the microwave, the hotel staff might not take it well. Just sayin’!

(SW) #7

I’m on the same boat when I travel for conferences as well, so I feel you! I usually do a bit of recon before my travels and find out where there is a grocery store nearby the hotel to pick up some items. Most places I stay at has a microwave so that’s always helpful. I pick up small bottles of olive oil/avocado oil, cheese, macadamia/Brazil nuts, eggs, and bacon. For BF, I either make eggs/bacon in my room or if the conference provides hard-boiled eggs, I grab 3-4 and add oil in there for a nice little egg salad. If you like BPC/tea, avocado oil and a bit of butter is a quick fix (usually when you ask, a hotel staff could easily grab you some butter). For lunch, there is usually salad and meat offered at the conference. I add eggs (from my own supply or hoarded from BF :grimacing:), cheese, and close to 1/4 cup of oil per meal. If there are other fats like olives or nuts available, that’s even better! If no meals are offered, I order breakfasts plates like eggs/bacon/sausage/avocado and then add some oil on top. Dinner (if I am at all hungry) would look like lunch. I hope this helps you stay in ketosis while you’re learning! Happy conferencing.

(Carpe salata!) #8

Good point. Ketosis is great for learning. Better than a carb fuelled sleepyhead.

(SW) #9

Totally agree with you there! Sometimes I take 2-3 tbsp of organic coconut oil in between meals at a conference to help my brain with all that intense learning. :coconut: No sleepy time for me!!

(Greg Saunders) #10

Wow! I’ve been involved in several forums over the years, and I don’t think I’ve ever received so many on-topic useful replies…ever.

Thank you everyone. I feel a lot better about making things work next week.

(Damon Chance) #11

If it’s in s big enough city you may check to see if Amazon Prime Now service is available. I used it in Vegas to get Keto stuff delivered to the room with a 2hr turn around. I found most days there were keto friendly options at the buffet provided. Fasting would have been my option otherwise.

(carl) #12

I’m at a conference right now. Hotel breakfast is always good for bacon and eggs. I usually go out for dinner, but many hotels offer something I can eat. If I have to go to a dinner party with no options I usually eat beforehand (wings, burger with butter, avocado, or the like) and then I’m under no pressure to eat anything at the party.

I happen to be fasting today, with maybe a whiskey or two in the bar later. I find it easier to fast than to be under pressure to get keto foods into me.

Butter! Butter in everything - Coffee, meat, salad. You can usually pickup the little 5g packs from the buffet. I fill my pockets!

It is what gets me through plus eating the ever present finger food sandwhiches - minus the bread. I always get some strange looks… but then loose the next 2 hours talking about Keto:).

(Cindy) #14

Ask for what you need. You can bet the vegetarians and vegans are doing that.

I always tell the conference staff that I’m on a doctor-prescribed diet and tell them exactly what I can and cannot eat (meat, eggs, non-starchy vegetables or salads, nuts/seeds, full-fat dairy). Also, be sure to specify no desserts. Typically, everyone is jealous of the meals I receive. Bacon and eggs while everyone else is eating mass produced biscuits and sausage or pastries is awesome! Once, while everyone else was eating from a huge pan of precooked lasagna, I had a ribeye steak almost as big as my head cooked to order. Shared it with the table because I just couldn’t eat all of it.

I’ve done very well this way and just supplement a bit with things like macadamia nuts, coconut oil, and butter. Hotel chefs are used to catering to a variety of requirements and most have training in putting together meals based on dietary needs and allergies.