Keto and P90X

(Jesus Herrera) #1

Hi there!! I am going to begin the P90X program. A long time ago I used to practice that, and it worked very well. I believe that now that I have lost almost 40 kg. is time to begin working out a little more. I practice at gym, but not really hard. Now I want to try P90X again .
Guess I will have to check a lot my sodium levels while practicing this program.

Any experiences with this???
I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks!!!

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

(Jesus Herrera) #3

Thanks!!! I’ll try hard

(Sarah Slancauskas) #4

I do a similar type of exercise (Atletica by Powerstrike (Ilaria Montagnani). Each workout is 60 minutes of high intensity weight training and I use 2xdumbbells ranging from 5kg-8kg each. Since adopting Keto I’ve noticed a slight decline in my performance with a tendency towards lightheadedness half way through. My brother (also Keto) recommended salt water after each workout and this really helped with my recovery. I tend to concentrate the carbs I do eat 30 mins before and 30 mins after a workout but I keep them Keto and never go above the macros and I’ve found that I’m slowly getting a bit of my performance back. I highly recommend the salted water to replace lost electrolytes and sometimes I add a slice of fresh lemon to it as well.

(Jesus Herrera) #5

Thanks a lot for sharing with me your experience. That will help me a lot for getting started. I will begin exactly in one hour. I want to do the exercise in the early morning. I hope the salt water helps my performance. Really thanks a lot!

(Edith) #6

Stephen Phinney recommends 1/2 teaspoon salt or a cup of bouillon 30 to 60 minutes prior to working out. That works for me. I usually work out in the morning. If I forget my preworkout salt, I will get light headed during the workout.

(Troy) #7

Agree
Morning workout
Salt before…makes all the difference
Especially while in IF/workout

(Jesus Herrera) #8

Today was my 4th day, and I believe drinking water with salt has been a great plus!!

(Sarah Slancauskas) #9

That’s great! It helps my workouts significantly.

(Edith) #10

Terrific!

(Tricia) #11

What about a pre-workout that has sodium in it?

(Edith) #12

I would imagine the amount of sodium in a preworkout would not be enough. Also, I really don’t think one needs a preworkout supplement if he or she is keto.

But, I think there are some threads with forum members who do some serious strength training. You may want to check those out. They may say something different.

Ketodude,

This might help you. Only 7 mins to listen to:

Ketosis: Post Workout Carb Timing: Thomas DeLauer

(Jesus Herrera) #14

Thanks a lot for this info!!!
I have just added salt with water after the exercise session and I have been feeling very well . In fact I believe my performance has been pretty well. I stick to ketosis, no extra Carbs.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #15

This link was really interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting it!

(Jesus Herrera) #16

Just finished my second week of P90X program. No problems at all. 1 kg. lost and the most important my performance gets better and better. I’ve noticed some advance in my body. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Slancauskas) #17

That’s fantastic to hear! Well done. I’ve also had a change in that I’ve increased the weights I’m using and am recovering without any fatigue afterwards. No slump. I do get the odd day where my energy lowers down but these days are getting fewer :blush: I’m happy to hear your progress.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

Hope you are measuring inches. If P90X works for you as it has worked for my friends, you may lose more in inches than the scale would suggest.

(Jesus Herrera) #19

Yes!!! I will do that. I haven’t checked yet. But will do it tomorrow. I have my initial measures. Great idea!!!