Keto and Mental Clarity

mentalhealth

I’ve heard that running on ketones is more efficient for the body and better for sustaining focus and regulating mood. Any hard evidence/references to support the effects of a keto WOE on focus and mood? I do generally feel sharper at work, especially in the mornings when i have nothing to eat but my Bulletproof coffee, but i want to understand the specific mechanisms in the brain that makes me feel this way.

Any thoughts on the matter or links to research would be great. Thanks!

I don’t have any links for you but I can attest to the fact that it does from my experience. I have seen a massive improvement in migraines (used to get them 50% of the time overall) which I rarely get now. My depression is greatly improved. Both creep back with carb creep. Focus and alertness - not sure. I have been studying quite challenging stuff and been enjoying it but I haven’t felt the real buzz often that some get.

@Donna may have something? I’ll move you to Show me the Science as you may get better feedback there.

(David Driver) #4

Going Keto hasn’t helped my depression but I can’t say that it has hurt it.

(Meeping up the Science!) #5

Brain metabolism is significantly upregulated, as mitochondria switch to adapt. About 70% of the brain can utilize fat for energy, and this is especially advantageous for people who cannot utilize glucose correctly. Think, degenerative brain disorders. Brain metabolism is greatly increased in general.

After several months, it can also help mood stabilization. I have depression and I will always keep taking my antidepressants for life most likely. It won’t cure endogenous mental illness, however it will definitely improve the outcome of having a mental illness.

Ketosis also affects how the brain handles glutamate to significant degrees. This is important because it creates an entirely different neurotransmitter balance. This upregulates GABA production, another neurotransmitter, that helps balance out moods and also several vital functions.

Sources you may like:

1. Mitochondrial biogenesis information.

2. Ketosis and glutamate.

Thanks @Donna. This is great information.

I wonder if taking exogenous nootropics, or natural smart drugs like Alpha-Brain, can enhance or work synergistically with the brain metabolism up-regulating effects of Keto. I’ve been taking nootropic supplements for a while, both on and off Keto, and have noticed a stark difference on how I feel in these different states. While I am generally more alert and find it easier to recall important memories or facts while on nootropics, i also find that I am generally more calm and confident when using them while in Keto. I suffer from performance anxiety at work and this combination of Keto and nootropic supplementation seems to be working wonders from me.

I’m not trying to sell anything, just speaking out of interest in the subject, but in case anyone is interested in learning more about the efficacy of nootropics, here are some studies on the product i’ve use-

1. [Alpha Brain Clinical Trials]
    (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hup.2520/abstract;jsessionid=D5766C69026208C7491B9DC94F4B3321.f02t01)

2. [Additional Resources on the Efficacy of Alpha Brain] (https://www.onnit.com/clinical-studies/)

(Kilian) #7

I was asking myself that question, too. Nootropics are a fairly new thing and not that much research has put into it. So i think we will have to wait until elaborate studies on that topics are published. I researched a lot and did found this website with some useful info. Most of them are not well researched yet, so we need to wait a lil bit longer :slight_smile:

My own experience is all that I need to recognize the difference.

Keto and a 21day fast significantly reset the baseline of my mental and physical health.

(Thomas Murphy) #9