Keto and longdistance running

(Mellinda) #1

Hi all,
I’m new here, so apologies if my question has already being raised. I’m living in the Netherlands and Keto is not so “popular” over here, let alone long distance running with Keto. I’m in ketosis since September, but my running is still difficult. My hart rate is far above my average at the same pace, even in rest my hart rate is high. (55 now, 38 before)
As I don’t have any guidance or advise from “experts” over here, I’m asking here.
Do I need to increase my carb nutrition before a run or am I doing ok as I’m doing right now but need some patience? Will my hart rate eventually be as it was before Keto? I’m on 5% carb, 70 fat and 25 proteins. Please advise.
Oh I’m femal 46 yr. :smile:

(John) #2

(Mellinda) #3

Thanks. This is helpful.

My wife is a keto runner with many thousands of miles of experience. When she started keto, her enthusiasm to run diminished for a while so she cut her runs short and less frequent.

After about two months, her enthusiam came back and she’s thrilled to be able to run longer distances while fasting with no issues at all. Her speed is still a bit down, but that could be from the reduced training or just the colder weather.

(Mellinda) #5

I hope it get better. I’m in keto now for two months, and I have no problem with long distance, but my pace is really not what used to be, and my heart rate is high. Getting the Hr down, means a much slower pace. I hope that will change.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

She became fat adapted :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

Increasing your carb intake will prevent you from reaching fat adaption sooner, which is the ultimate state you want to be in when running. Hang in there, it will get better in time!

(Debbie Back) #8

I am contemplating Keto because I have been running for 6 years and lost 65 pounds running and changing my diet and exercising. I have gained 30 pounds back in the last 2.5 years and no matter what I did in the past, I cannot get this weight off. My last attempt was macrostax which increased my carbs substantially. I actually lost 13 pounds pretty quickly and then it all came back with a vengence and added another 10 pounds. I normally run 4-5 days per week with long runs on Saturdays. I usually do a half marathon race about every 2 months with 5K’s and 10K’s thrown in there. I would like to start, but think it would be best to start after my challenge weekend which is 5K on 23rd and half marathon on the 24th. I only have one month though, then I will be doing a 200-mile relay in Texas where I will run three legs totally about 20 miles. I would really like some runner’s opinions here. I am 62. My biggest fear with the Keto is not having all of the fruits. I am a big natural fruit eater. I know we can have strawberries and blackberries but I worry about no bananas. I usually start getting leg cramps when I don’t have my bananas. Thanks.

(Alec) #9

Banana fetish: Sounds like a mineral/electrolyte deficiency. Fruits are generally not a great idea on keto. Running is perfectly ok on fat as fuel. You don’t need any sugar to run well once you are fat adapted.

(Scott) #10

I struggled to run without walking when I started keto. At the three month mark it all changed and I felt fantastic on fasted runs. I say go all in and dedicate yourself to keto fueled running. If I could get the weather to cooperate and not catch another cold (two back to back) I look forward to getting my miles back up to 30+ weekly.