Keto and high-intensity exercise

(Doug) #1

While the write-up is short on details and the sample size is small, the conclusion that “a 6-week ketogenic diet did not affect the performance of short-duration high-intensity exercise” surprised me. I’m glad to hear it, but there are many anecdotal accounts of anaerobic exercise being affected by very low carbohydrate intake, and as I understand how we make energy, I would have thought there would be some effect after 6 weeks.

(charlie3) #2

One small experiment. I’m doing a lot of exercise. My walk is getting stronger, cardio is improving, but I’m not getting stronger under the bar, lifting. I haven’t made up my mind about the many possible causes. I’m not willing, at this point, to eat a bunch of carbs for weeks to see what happens.

(david czech) #3

my sample-of-one experiment:

I am staying roughly the same strength on most lifts. I see gains when training very well and consistently, and losses when I let things get in the way of my training.

This does not seem to have changed since going keto, so I don’t attribute any of it to that.

For background, I’m 49 years old, approx 5’10" tall, 155-165lb, 12-14% fat, fairly athletic compared to my perception of average population.
I lift 3-5 times per week, approx 30-45 mins per session at around 7am with 5 different splits planned per week and cycle-commute about 70-80 miles/week.
I intermittent-fast with one meal per day, usually around 6pm.

The worst effect on my workouts seems to be if I fall off the keto-wagon or drink much on a weekend, my Monday workouts suffer badly from being light-headed/dizzy (that is my heavy leg-day, so that REALLY sucks!)

(david czech) #4

Did I read it wrong? I think their conclusion SOUNDS like they concluded incorrectly:

Somehow they concluded that there was no difference between the two sample groups?

NO increase (NO CHANGE) in MPO in the KETO group while there was a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE in MPO in the CON group?

RESULTS:

A significant increase (p < .05) in mean power output (MPO; W/kg) from baseline (M = 8.24 ± 1.15) to 6 weeks (M = 8.70 ± .82) was found the CON group.
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>
No significant differences (p > .05) were found in the KETO group from baseline to 6 weeks in any of the measured exercise variables.