Keto and energy

(Giovanna Crisara) #1

Hi I’m new here I wanted to pose a question how long before you get energy and not feeling hungry I do realize everyone is different but it would be nice to hear about people’s experiences. I’ve been on it 1 week and half lost 2 kilos but still feel tired and get hungry quickly between meals love to hear your experiences

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Giovanna =).

Make sure you are getting enough Electrolytes, as they really help for not feeling so tired, make you not feel so hungry, and help for leg cramps. It is normal to feel like this for the beginning because your body is in carb and sugar withdrdawal.

You can make this Ketoaide recipe at home:

(Giovanna Crisara) #3

Thankyou so much

(mole person) #4

You probably have a few weeks to go. I started to feel better at around the fourth week, but for some people it’s even a bit longer. The electrolytes will help though. If you exercise, consider cutting it back until you start to feel better.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Are you hungry or are you craving? Craving could mean you need more water or electrolytes (or you’re just simply craving sugar). If you’re hungry, try eating enough at your meals to be satisfied. If you’re struggling, eating a low carb snack while you adapt to this new way of eating can be helpful. Most people find that eventually they aren’t hungry for the snacks and even begin to not be hungry at their “meal times”. Things can change quickly during your adaptation phase. I found chicken broth and tea with cream to be useful “snacks” in between meals. Especially broth which added salt. I started to feel better at week 2-3, but really good in month 2.

As for energy, you’re still in the early days. It may never be the explosive energy touted by some people doing keto, you may find it just means you’re not crashing midday anymore.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

The salt intake and going through adaptation are the two usual issues.

Although we enter ketosis almost immediately, the muscles have to re-learn how to metabolise fatty acids in place of glucose, and apparently they don’t do quite so well on ketones in the meantime. There are changes that need to happen at the cellular level, and once they happen, you’ll have your energy back. You should start feeling gradually better pretty soon, though it generally takes 6-8 weeks to reach full fat-adaptation. The good news is that at that point, you should have all your old energy back, and possibly more.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Some many of us never experienced any discomfort. But others report symptoms of carb withdrawl lasting weeks to months, of varying intensity and discomfort. None the less, all report that it passes. As with pretty much all things metabolic, your mileage may vary. Best wishes. :wink: