Keto and cycling one year on

I wouldn’t call it carb cycling but on days that I know I am going to be really pushing it into the red I’ll have some carbs in the morning before I ride. Talking with Peter Defty he reccomended a teaspoon of sugar or honey in coffee morning of a ride. I actually add a 1/4 cup of oatmeal to this. Does not effect ketosis or fat burning. ketone levels after riding are always higher than average.
My aerobic capacity has definitely increased over last 6 months to the point that my leg strength is now my limiting factor. I have had a significant loss in FTP since Feb. but I have also lost 45 lbs. There is no way that is all fat.

Also I am confused right now how to proceed with my cycling. Would like to increase FTP 40-50 watts to get strength back to what it was. With the weight I lost this would put me at a decent but still low w/kg. I am thinking that I am going to have to spend time on the trainer this winter following a training plan. Just not sure if I will see results without changing diet. Keto is so second nature now even a bad day of eating is still less than 100g of carbs.

(ianrobo) #63

indeed but w/kg is vital so what was it before you started and what is it now ?

mine was 3.36 and now is 3.52 and that is really without working on it

In January it was 2.08 at 283 lbs. and now it is 2.03 at 238 lbs. Lost a lot of weight but still struggling up the same hills. Also riding with an 8 year old knee replacement so I can’t push to hard. If I could get power back to what it was I would be at 2.44. I also want to lose some more weight. I am also 6’4 so it is getting harder to lose the weight. I just think it is hard to build strength while losing weight at the same time.

(ianrobo) #65

What is a surprise a just how much power you lost and I presume you still did the same rides etc

I just think I lost to much weight to quickly. Winter at the time so did not ride as much. All along thinking loss of power due to lack of carbs but I am certain now that I lost a lot of lean mass. Hoping I should be able to get it back. Being lighter is healthier all around so it is all good.

(ianrobo) #67

Yeah can always get the power back but look at core exercises

(Wayne Layton) #68

Why take sugar on the ride? If glycogen replenish is the reason, then why not low glycemic product like UCAN?

(ianrobo) #69

yep just no need though I do like Jelly Babies for me as something to nibble on but that is on real long rides of 200km plus or a lot of climbing !