Keto and Arthritis; Keto and amount of protein

(Kira) #62

Wow, this is valuable information, thank you.
I also find that my aches pains are reduced - by a lot! I normally have 5 consecutive days of pains but they come and go slow like a curve with a spike on day 3 where I normally take Ibuprofen 800. This month the pains lasted more or less just 3 days and I got by with just 1 Ibu. I still can>'t make out any food or whatever to trigger the pains. They come and go where and whenever they “please”.
My c-reactive protein beginning of December was <40 mg/dl.

(Kira) #63

Hi someguy, not that I understand much of chemical processes and reactions… my HDL cholesterin is 86mg/dl. I can’t see triglycerides in December but in October (before the diet) it was 59. Glucose is 80. I hope this sheds more light on the case.
I will go for another blood test at the end of the month, so should I ask for triglycerides to be checked?

Can I ask what triggers high GPT (41+) and GOT (38+) with normal GGT (19)? My doctor had no answer since in the past these values were normal.

Thanks everybody for your interest!

(Kira) #64

BTW, I still barely lose any weight on the scales but funnily enough I can feel and see fat decrease. Odd, but I am not concerned as I am very close to my desired weight and most of my clothes fit again. I feel pretty good and will stick to Keto as this is the change in my eating habits that I always wanted. Normal diets with eating less overall carbs and then returning to normal fod intake never worked for long with me. Eating ketogenic feels just natural. :heart_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #65

The triglyceride number is generally part of every lipid panel, but by all means double-check with your doctor. For the most accurate results, be sure to fast between 10 and 12 hours before the blood draw, and drink only water until after the blood is drawn.

Judging from the numbers you posted, you probably have nothing to worry about, so far as cardiovascular risk is concerned. Your HDL is quite high, and if your recent triglyceride number was anything like what it was on the previous tests, your cardiovascular risk is minimal (you want a ratio of triglyceride to HDL that is 2.0 or less in American units; 0.9 or less in the units used elsewhere).

If you want to confirm that your cardiovascular risk is low, you can ask for an NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) analysis of your LDL, which is a count of particles by size. Given your apparent ratio of triglycerides to HDL, I would expect your particles to fall into the healthy Pattern A, which indicates low risk. Other means of verifying your cardiovascular condition would be a CAC (coronary arterial calcium) scan, and a scan of your CIMT (coronary intima media thickness). The former is an assessment of the degree of calcification in your arteries (a measure of damage and healing), and the latter is an assessment of the degree of blockage, if any, in your arteries.

Your doctor may baulk at prescribing these tests unless you have a personal or family history of heart disease, but some places in the U.S. allow you to get them done on your own say-so (it depends on the laws in each state).

These are tests of liver function. What did your AST and ALT numbers look like? (These are the usual numbers that are checked.) It is possible that the high GPT and GOT were anomalies resulting from starting a ketogenic diet, or it is possible that there is something going on. Refresh my memory—how long were you eating a ketogenic diet at the time the blood work was done? Sometimes numbers from tests done early on look wacky, but that is generally because the body is adapting and changing. By the time people have been eating keto for six months most numbers look a lot better, although some things take as long as a year to really improve.

In any case, cutting out the sugar should greatly improve your liver numbers, and fairly quickly, too.

(Joey) #66

As @PaulL notes above, your lipid panel looks great - good HDL which is higher than very modest Trig levels - suggesting low CVD risk. Even the most basic lipid panel includes LDL-C, HDL-C & Triglycerides, so if you’re getting a “cholesterol test” it’s hard to imagine you won’t get a Trig figure in the report somewhere.

I didn’t read this entire chain, so perhaps someone already addressed it, but arthritis is an inflammatory condition - and carb restriction and intermittent fasting are both known to reduce inflammation by reducing insulin spikes.

Sounds like you’re on the right track with keto!

Better yet, Get am apoB and your apo a-1 tested and look at that ratio. It is far superior to any cholesterol ratio for qualifying the lipoprotein-related risk of vascular disease. This ratio has also been shown to be a significant predictor of the risk of heart failure, whereas LDL and HDL cholesterol were not. Furthermore, there are actionable steps (medicine) that can lower these numbers and thus your overall risk.

I’ve been aiming for about 100g protein a day but find it’s actually quite difficult to get that much in. How do you all go about that if you’re not carni?

My lunch could be something like 2 eggs 3x bacon some cheese greek yoghurt and nuts. Dinner 150/200g meat and veg.

I’m probably not far off but I can’t see how I can add more. That fills me up

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #69

Two hundred grams of meat is 50 g of protein. If your lean mass (not total weight) is only 50 kg, that might well be enough for you, right there.

Mmmm Thanks for pointing my mistake out. Somehow or other I’ve obviously been mixing my lbs and grams and kg etc :rofl:
My lean mass is just over 100lb so I was aiming for around 100g of protein!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #71

Well, that would be at the high end of the recommendations, but not completely unreasonable, lol!

Fifty g of protein is certainly a goodly amount to be going forward with. You can adjust at any point, if it seems necessary.