Keto and Aggressive/Physical Sports

intesity
exercise

(Nicholas) #1

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but I want to make sure I cover my bases, and more importantly, prevent injury due to this new lifestyle I’ve adopted. Started Keto January 26th, down 25 pounds with about 15 to go. Once I hit that goal I plan on building back muscle I can see that I’ve lost in the process while maintaining that weight range.

My concern. I play a very aggressive sport called Hurling (Irish Sport - Look it up!). It can be a fairly brutal game, with the use of sticks, a rugby-type physicality, and extremely fast paced (Fastest game on grass). My immediate concern was loss of muscle mass affecting my strength on the field, but I also want to make sure that the high-fat, moderate protein lifestyle doesn’t hurt my recovery time or my stamina when we play multiple games in a day at tournaments.

Any others who are playing physical sports have any advice? Once I hit my goal weight I’ll begin incorporating weight training back in which should help gain strength and muscle mass back, but would like to know if there are any athletes out there that have additional advice. I see a lot of posts about distance biking and running, and I’ve experienced no problem keeping my running pace on Keto (in fact I feel a lot better), but a part of me feels that a physical game where you get knocked around a lot will be different (maybe Keto heals bruises quicker HA!).

What do you eat prior to a 2 hour physical team practice (1 hour HIIT cardio, 1 hour of physical drills)? Or how do you eat for a tournament which might have 4 games over the course of a day. I’m freaking that macadamia nuts won’t cut it between games! Do I want to add in more protein and go back to my post-practice protein shakes.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for length. New to this Keto, first post, 2 week lurker. Like everything I do, I’m becoming obsessed with the lifestyle.

Nick

(Jennifer) #2

I’m curious why you are waiting to build? You shouldn’t lose muscle eating keto as long as you eat the correct amount of protein. Limit carbs, protein levels to maintain (not a set rule, but .8 to 1gm per pound of lean body mass) and fat for the rest.

And just a side note - fasting for longer than 24-36 hours causes increases in HGH. Some bodybuilders use keto and fasting to build naturally. The ketogains site might have more info on it.

(Allan Misner) #3

Like @birddog27, I’m also wondering why you don’t want to lift now. Being in ketosis, you should be able to lose fat and add muscle/strength.

(eat more) #4

no need to get to goal to strength train.
if you’ve truly lost muscle mass your intake is likely too low…
if it’s just fullness that you are missing (but haven’t lost any strength) that could just be loss of water retention in the muscle.

FAT, fat, and more fat…it’s the most efficient and longest burning source of fuel.
some folks fast prior to intense activity…like long distance biking and running which 4 games in a day is basically a marathon with breaks :blush:
i’ve actually decreased my protein intake.

it’s very easy to get obsessed with this woe! :joy:

welcome and keep obsessing…about the information anyway lol

(Alex Dipego) #5

Many MMA fighters practice keto in training and really it comes down to your training regimen. Much muscle shouldn’t be lost at all, you may have barely lost any muscle and its hard to know unless you measured before hand. We’re not saying keto saves all muscle but you don’t lose muscle really during fasting until 72hrs or so and by being keto you are providing energy which should preserve muscle.

It takes time to adapt your muscle building and overall training to keto so might as well practice now. In regards to what to do for energy during those events fats are great, when fully adapted you can use small amounts of easy carbs for performance boosting effects. You find Ultra runners doing this who are primarily keto but supplement with gels during the event being more sensitive to glucose they use less for better benefit.

(bulkbiker) #6

If you’re worried about losing mass check out Jason Wittrock…

(Nicholas) #7

Thanks all! I’m a lot less concerned with the lifting and losing muscle mass aspect of things. I took time off and away as I’d heard recommendations to keep off the intense exercising as I became fat adapted, and as the weight was coming off so quickly I didn’t want to rock the boat or take too much protein. April starts my sports training and lifting is coming back into play. So we’re all good there :wink:

Biggest question surrounds the food for competition. Thanks @mikki for the advice and the warm welcome! My pre-Keto regimen was always a battle to eat for energy, but battle being full on the field. I’m looking forward to being able to go 100% without worrying about my calorie intake pre-match!

Wow…I had no idea hurling existed. Looks brutal!

If I had to bet on which team wins based on diet they eat, my money would be on the guys following keto! Look at this picture below…imagine if they were fat burners with lots of energy to spare to beat your ass, I’d be scared.

By the way, have you looked into Prof Tim Noakes? He is the advisor for several cricket teams, helping them follow low carb high fat diet…and with great success.

(Nicholas) #9

Thanks for the insight. I’ve heard of Tim Noakes but not related to sports teams. If only I can get the rest of my club into Keto :muscle: (Though we do have some Paleo followers so there’s hope)

I will say, we had our first outdoor practice on Sunday, and the weight loss + energy I had (plus the excitement of being outdoors again after winter), I was so quick. I’m very excited for this season! :smile:

There’s been lots of success with this way of eating and “aggressive” type sports. Here’s a link with some info:

(Allan Misner) #11

How long does a typical match go? You should have plenty of muscle and liver glycogen to keep going for 90 - 120 minutes at a good pace. If you find your energy waning, consider a bit of MCT oil beforehand and perhaps between periods (assuming they are broken into periods).

(Jason Fletcher) #12

He is the link to the ketogain facts
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index
Look at the section in bold.
SKD, TKD, CKD - What, when and how?
This should help you with energy needs and other ideas.
There are protocols there as well for losing fat and for gaining muscle.

(Nicholas) #13

Thanks for this @Jason_Fletcher This is perfect!

Thank you all for the comments. Appreciated!

I like the idea of MCT oil @AllanMisner, halftime would have never been a good time for carbohydrates, but on Keto seems like it would work without feeling any fullness!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #14

Just make sure that you only have as much MCT oil as you’re already accustomed to in a serving, as consuming more MCT oil than your body is ready for can lead to disasterpants, which would be less than ideal while on the field.

(Allan Misner) #15

Yes, let me second this.

just came into say the first few sessions i did pretty intense boxing workout was absolute hell

but after that im ok to do a fairly intense 45 min session, i hink boxing workouts would be classified as high intensity?

so its possible, i do tend to struggle towards the end but so far so good,

(Alex Dipego) #17

Look at it like this. No matter the fuel source, doing something you don’t normally do will most likely be harder than something you normally do. Adaptation takes time in all things and to a degree. You can over do it sure, but by slowly adding intensity you allow for better adaptation. Same goes for fuel. You cant expect to switch from glucose to ketones/ffas off the bat, you need to adapt.