Keto again! but no loss yet

I tried keto back in 2018… I was 48. I had some results at first then it stalled… and I quit. I am now 50 and menopausal and I am so tired of trying to lose this weight. I have tried so many things… I am back here out of desperation. I am following a meal plan (keto konscious) which seems to be little healthier way than what I did before which was probably not eating enough veggies and too much meat, cheese, pork rinds etc. I am hoping this will help get things moving. I am also exercising 3-4 days per week. I may try IF which I have not done before to see if that helps. Any advice appreciated.

I hope it all works out well. I lost my weight being post menopausal so it can be done just fine. Find your sweet spot and do be patient. There is no magic.

(Laurie) #3

How long since you’ve been back on keto? What are your stumbling blocks?

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #4

Try to approach a ketogenic diet as a life long way of eating and not a quick weight loss diet.

Many health issues will be taken care of and weight/fat loss will be a healthful side effect…

One thing I have learned from this way of eating is that it is a “healing” diet of sorts. Weight loss is only one of the ways that healing manifests and weight loss may not happen until some internal healing, which could be rebalancing hormones , insulin resistance or reducing inflammation, has taken place.

The best approach to keto is therefore consistency with the understanding that the requisite internal healing has commenced, we will start to see results.

For example, I had the Covid-19 virus. It damaged a good amount of the endothelial lining in my blood vessels and gut. I have edema from an inability of my blood vessels being able to contract and dilate normally. I am stalled (and even gained 2kg from the fluid retention) but it would be silly of me to think my body will let me intentionally lose weight while I am healing from this. I have accepted that and will keep keto with the understanding that weight loss will restart when my healing is well underway…could be a few months…could be a year. So I KCKO with my OMAD.

It’s the same concept. Hormonal issues, insulin sensitivity etc all come from years or decades of ways of eating that has damaged our body and make it hard for us to lose weight. It will take time, sometimes longer than expected or desired, before the gears starts turning in the right direction and we start losing weight.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I’m sorry you are getting discouraged, but don’t give up just yet. It can take quite a few weeks for women’s hormones to re-regulate themselves, and if you are in the middle of menopause, then I wouldn’t be surprised if it took a while for your body to sort itself out. This way of eating is not a quick weight-loss scheme, it is a way of promoting metabolic health, with shedding excess stored fat as a highly desirable side effect. Give your body time to heal and sort itself out. And remember that sometimes people add lean mass while shedding fat, so use your measurements and the fit of your clothing as guides to progress, not just the reading on your scale.

(Susan) #7

Welcome back to Keto, I wish you success =).

The major thing for me is keeping your carbs as low as possible, (under 20 and less if you can!) and IF -I do lunch at 1pm and supper at 4:30 but I built up to that --I would start at 12:12 so your body has 12 hours of no calories from supper to breakfast to start =).

Please feel free to post away any questions that you might have, we all want to encourage you =).

Use something like cronometer to track what you’re eating, just because you’re following a structured plan doesn’t mean it’s correct for you. You could still be under/over doing stuff and not notice.