Keto adapted and new to using testing strips. I have lower levels than others...is this NORMAL and why

(Karen) #1

I have been following the ketogenic lifestyle for around 3.5 years. Keto helped me to lose 50 pounds and to cut out a lot of health issues such as inflammation in my joints. I bought a ketone meter and stopped using it after a while when I felt more comfortable with my way of life. My numbers were generally in the 2.0 range at that time. I only saw higher values with EF.

Recently due to stress in my world, I began to eat more of a lazy keto lifestyle. I got back on track when inflammation started up in my joints again. I have been monitoring my ketone levels every morning and every night, as well as 2 hours after some meals that could have had potential to kick me out of ketosis. I have not had a single “cheat” in a month. My levels are pretty consistent but are lower than they used to be, as expected with keto adaptation.

This all being said, I am curious for a better understanding of the following incident. My evening ketones are generally in the 1.3 range with a morning range near 0.8. Last night my ketones were 1.8 but this morning I woke earlier than usual by about 3 hours, and my ketones had dropped to 0.3, however by my normal wake up time, they were back up to 0.8.

Am I falling out of ketosis at night or is this perhaps a dawn effect? I used to have glucose dawn effect issues, but I haven’t monitored my glucose in over a year as it has been WNL. I am losing size, but not weight at the moment. My body REALLY likes this scale number.

Thoughts and explanations are greatly welcomed, as I fear I am losing out on the benefits of ketosis and may need to make some more changes. The ONLY thing I did not do last night was take my vitamins, potassium, and magnesium.

Also, is it normal as a keto adapted individual, to have the lower numbers? I have very rarely EVER seen them over 2.0. I was on keto for over a year before I started using the ketone strips, if that helps.

Are you using the pee strips? If so toss em. They’ll tell you if your dehydrated or not but not much else. Especially of your a long time ketoer. If your carbs are 20g or less then your in ketosis. As for the weight loss, it isn’t linear and measurements and the mirror are a much better indicator of results. As they say chase results not ketones. The only reason to worry about ketone levels is for treating certain medical conditions.

Once your fully fat adapted your blood ketone level will decrease. Look up the FASTER study. The fully fat adapted subjects had below .5 blood ketone readings and were burning the most fat. As your body become efficient at producing and using ketones you’ll only make exactly what it needs and will not waste any.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Yes. You have less ketones in your blood steam when your body is using them effectively.
Your blood meter is useless at this point.

(Karen) #4

Thank you guys! I went back through all of my logs and my ketones do stay consistent even though low, so I think that is where I am. I will continue to use the strips for my fasting days just for accountability purposes though.

Thank you again!

(Carrie ) #5

Yup, totally normal. Blood ketone level is how many are floating around unused… so lower in the am since you’ve been asleep and not eating… using those ketones. Maybe try fasting again if you’re wanting to be below where your body decided it wants to be? I read that your body wants to be at a stable weight, so periodically you have to work a bit harder to make a lower weight your new normal.

(Scott) #6

I was wondering about this. I have never measured with anything but it was common for me to taste ketosis as a acetone type of sensation in my mouth. I don’t get that as much now at eight months on keto/LCHF but I generally eat at <50g carbs daily. So this leads to my question am I just not in ketosis much or do signs like the taste go away because I am using the ketones more efficiently and they are no longer excess?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

I wouldn’t know the answer to that question sorry, Scott!