Kerrygold - Salted vs Unsalted

(Troy) #1

Ok folks…

Ran out of kerrygold, panic and hysteria set in
Closest run was target…$.16 more than Walmart😡
Lol

Any who,
I always purchase salted. I use it on everything. Top it, cook w it, bake etc…
The BEST -Eat it right out of the wrapper🤣

Target was out of salted
So, I made an executive decision. I Bought the unsalted

Wow!
Not as good
So “ bland “ sigh
Or at least , I prefer the salted way more!

Perhaps, it’s bcuz I have pink salt throughout the day
Love it
In addition, Just a part of this WOE. I “crave” salt

My Solution ;
I salted my unsalted butter😄
Had to
Yummy

So, do you prefer salted or unsalted ?:thinking:

I’m sure for some. It depends on the food prep and cooking

Not me, no more unsalted unless out of salted when needy or shopping

Yup
It’s just “ BUTTER “ for me to “ STICK “ w salted🤣

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

SALTED!! Even then I sometimes add salt!

(Brian) #3

It seems like a lot of rockstar cooks talk about unsalted butter. But as for me, I’m with you, I like the salted. And I’ve never had an instance where I had wished there were less salt in something.

:slight_smile:

(Brian) #4

Oh, and another thing I find a little puzzling about Kerrygold butter. The local Kroger sells it for something like $4.89 per 8oz block. Walmart sells the exact same item, as in 100% identical, even the exact packaging, for $2.88.

It’s pretty common to have things vary by a few cents. It surprises me to see that much variation between stores so close together. But hey, that’s why we shop around.

(Running from stupidity) #5

I use unsalted for cooking, because then I know exactly how much salt I’m adding to it.

For putting on steaks, etc, I use salted.

(Note that in Australia, Kerrygold is NOT a requirement, your cheapo supermarket butter is just fine.)

You are very fortunate we still let you participate in this forum. :face_with_monocle:

But it’s probationary. You’re on thin ice, Mr!

(Running from stupidity) #7

Yeah, I’m always very careful to qualify statements like that, FAR beyond even my usual journalism caution :slight_smile:

I like using Kerrygold, but I’ll use any butter available.

We always buy unsalted, but ALWAYS add salt to what we eat. Go figure?

You’re reasoning, about controlling how much, makes a lot of sense. I’ve never thought about it that way. Lisa just thinks unsalted tastes better than the salted, and since she buys the groceries, that’s what we get. :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #9

Yeah, well, science can’t defeat that :slight_smile:

Salted, definitely!

(TJ Borden) #11

I’m with @juice on this one. I prefer unsalted just so I can control the salt better, for taste, not because I’m concerned about having too much.

Plus, when topping stuff with butter, I like the flavor of unsalted more.

(Michelle) #12

Here too. In KY. Also Aldi has it for the same price as Walmart so I buy it there because Walmart gets enough of our community’s $$.

I prefer unsalted but may have to reconsider now that I’m hearing how delicious it is! :thinking:

Salted! Unsalted is for pansies :stuck_out_tongue:

(Running from stupidity) #15

Funny way to spell “people with tastebuds”

(Brandy) #16

Unsalted for me- always. Of course, I don’t buy any food with added salt. I’ll be the one in control of the flavor profile of the food I make, thanks very much. :wink:

(Blessed with butter ) #17

New seasons in Oregon sells it for 4 something too winco sells it for 2.40.

(TJ Borden) #18

I LOVE WinCo. I grew up in PDX and remember going there as a kid when it was still CUB foods

(Blessed with butter ) #19

I remember cub foods too. I only shop at winco. Fred Meyer Safeway new seasons and Whole Foods just jack their prices up. What a ripoff

(Wendy) #20

I’m definitely with the salted group. Though to be honest I like the Aldi butter better than Kerry Gold. I just wasn’t impressed. I know grass fed, most of the time. :blush: