Karim's muscle gain carnivore adventure

(Karim Wassef) #162

I love brie… I just had some yesterday and I missed it so much over the last couple of months.

It’s not a lack of fat - I have lots of good sources to build with. It’s a preference for protein that’s my weakness… :smiley:

I am getting better. I’m going to try for 140g protein today…

only thing I’m missing is real liver, but the liverwurst is an attempt at redemption :blush:

(mole person) #163

My taste for liver keeps going up the more I eat it. I’m getting to the point where I want a whole plate of the stuff.

(Karim Wassef) #164

So… while on extended or cyclic multi-day fasting, I used my G and K to decipher my body’s reaction to fasting and feasting… with a little focus on the effect of exercise and stressors.

Now that I’m carni daily OMAD… I’m focusing on the effects of lifting and stressors like sauna. Not focusing on GKI since I can tell that I’m anabolic with these numbers.

So… take a look - again, today - no carbs, fasted all morning. Yesterday 11g carbs and 158g protein:

Glucose:

Ketones:

Again … ketones last night at 0.6… this morning 0.4… before lifting 0.8… after lifting 0.4… pathetic but ok.

But now glucose last night at 88… this morning 81… before lifting 106… after lifting 94

All while fasted except for morning minerals (salts), berberine, bitter melon and my 0.8g Leucine and 1g carnitine.

These are the same supplements I took while fasted and never saw a glucose spike.

Don’t know if the protein in my food is being digested slowly due to my high fat content and it glucose triggered before I lift?

My suspicion is that my body has adapted to my workout window and it “prepping” again. In that case, it’s going through GNG to support the spike?

Finally, could just be stress? I have a stressful career and it can push me but I employ mindfulness and I feel relaxed.

Thoughts?

(Mame) #165

stress is so sneaky. Part of me thinks “if you feel relaxed you are” … but then I remember myself just this week when I got slammed with a huge deadline. I felt energized and up for it, I felt positive. I didn’t think I was stressed. Then 15 minutes later I realized I just wanted to eat! I was stressed it was coming out in another way…
but are you sleeping? feeling normal (for you) hunger? can you rest when you want to rest? is your mood equable or are you snapping at others or yourself?

(Karim Wassef) #166

I’m sleeping 7-8hrs
no special hunger - actually stuffed
wife hasn’t complained about irritability

dinner today was more on target. Not quite as planned but still 140g of protein… and 8g of carbs.

Still 3000 calories but I’m ok with that. I’m convinced it’s revving up my metabolism. DEXA in ~ 36hrs so I’m not going to slow down now. :smiley:

(Mame) #167

well then unless you are stressed physically by your workouts (which would be odd right?) then I doesn’t seem like it’s stress

(Karim Wassef) #168

workout stress would spike glucose after the workout I think.

so… here’s a theory…

yesterday, I went for my weighlifting at 57G before… and then ended at 100G after
today, at the same time, I went in at 106G before… an then ended at 94G after

I think it’s exercise adaptation. My body was expecting the punishment and prepped for it by getting glucose high enough to sustain me through it.

(Karim Wassef) #169

went back and looked at my dinner and I was off on the portion of pork tenderloins… this is why I have counting… always so wrong… :slight_smile:

anyway - still better than yesterday

(Karim Wassef) #170

Day 7

So good protein control finally got me to 1.0 ketones and brought my GKI in the 3-6 range again! That’s my interpretation.

15hrs to DEXA and I’ve been eating 3000 cal a day without gaining weight. Very curious what my RMR will be tomorrow morning. Also tempted to just enjoy that 20oz t-bone I’ve been eyeing all week and it’s little 6oz friend… myam myam

Protein cheat coming up maybe!

(Karim Wassef) #171

Going for votes here… with DEXA coming up tomorrow… should I

A. Enjoy my protein and just not care (~250g)
B. Stay the protein control course (~140g)

C. There is no C! I don’t play in the middle!!!

Place your votes. I’m off to the gym to work up an appetite for farm animals…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #172

A. But then again I’m really hungry right now.

(Mario) #173

i am totally on A

(Neil) #174

I vote for A! You’re a human, not a lab rat.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #175

I vote for B. Cheat after the DEXA.

(Karim Wassef) #176

I’m abstaining so it’s … 3A, 1B

There’s a few more of you lurkers … come on…, speak up… gimme a vote. :smiley:

(Mame) #177

I’m fasting today so someone should eat! I say A

(Karim Wassef) #178

4A, 1B

Keepem coming :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #179

What time do you plan to eat this? The votes are coming in slowly! :rofl:. You might have to make an executive decision shortly.

(Karim Wassef) #180

decision made and executed… results forthcoming…

(Karim Wassef) #181

Here’s the 780g ~ 28oz T-bone looked like with a wide slice of butter:

That was just the beginning…