Karim's muscle gain carnivore adventure

(Karim Wassef) #142

This is my equivalent monthly average view and my data is in lbs but here’s the total mass, lean mass and bf%

(Mario) #143

i am sure, you will get rid of that bodyfat with carnivore, but i am not so sure, if you will be able to lean bulk in that way.

i use cycling keto, or also called anabolic diet. at saturday i have a carb reload day. sugar is not so good for me, but every other carbs seems to work nice.

i also lift heavy, 3-4x per week. if i want to drop bodyfat fast, i add 90-120 min cardio with less lifting. thats pretty much all.

the only thing that dit NOT work for me was HIT workout. because of only one set and 5 reps, i was not able to focus, because on sunday i am usually always stronger, and friday is my weakest day.

Its a line that got popular thru BroScience vids on youtube and is often spammed by people who dont know much about lifting as u can curl in a bathtub if u needed to.

(Karim Wassef) #145

I stay clean keto all the time … I never cycle but I’ve thought about it.

Given that I’m still at 22% bf and I’m such an easy-fat-gainer, I don’t meander far from 20g carb except after very long extended fasts (more than a week).

I don’t like carbs. I don’t just avoid them - I dislike them… the thought of bread or pasta or pizza is unpleasant now.

I want to lean to live constantly without carbs and STILL grow and stay lean.

I see my OMAD as the daily cycle and that’s my 22hr cut + 2hr bulk :smiley:

Technically, all change happens at night anyway… but it’s just a lean vs. eat cycle to get the best of both.

(Karim Wassef) #146

Day 5

So ketones really crashing but weight stable.

(Karim Wassef) #147

Yesterday, I only had 15g carbs and about 21g the day before… here’s my blood glucose readings.

For reference, here’s my fasted blood glucose:

So with minimal carbs but heavy on protein, I’m pushing 99 glucose compared to 55 baseline.

(Karim Wassef) #148

I think this is an important topic raised in another thread where safi commented that maybe the large lean mass loss in my legs (during my 19 day fast) may not have been muscle.

I had never considered that this could be actual empty fat cells (the protein sac) being cannibalized once the lipids have been removed.

Three data points:

1. My squat strength has recovered on refeeding even though my leg mass (size) has not.

2. My wife commented that my thighs are leaner and more vascular.

3. I historically stored my fat in my belly/waist and inner thighs. The inner thigh fat was already substantially reduced visually even before the fast.

Thoughts on this? Is it likely that my lost leg mass is empty protein adiposite sacs?

(Karim Wassef) #149

On carnivore so far… I’m making a lot fewer veggie exceptions than I did last time. The most substantial for me are nuts…

I usually have a bowl of nuts immediately after my main meal (still OMAD) but that’s not viable now.

I tried pork rinds but it’s not as addictive.

I tried slices of cheese and cured meats … also not addictive.

I think that even though I’m at 3000 calories and over 150g protein, I feel really good and my weight is holding exceptionally well.

(Karim Wassef) #150

Just finished my workout… chest day with a little legs

Before: 57G, 0.6K = 5.3 GKI
After: 100G, 0.4K = 13.9 GKI

I might have overdone it a little… just a wee bit

(Karim Wassef) #151

Interesting observations eating carnivore multiple days in a row (especially in contrast to eating daily vegan):

1. I used to see a lot of veggie food “bulk” in my system that caused “not me” weight gain that wouldn’t subside until I fasted for a few days. I’ve been eating for multiple days now and no “bulk”. My stomach feels tight instead of bloated. What mass I eat, I eliminate nearly all of it in 24hrs.

That might change but that’s my reflection on the lack of weight gain.

1. The ability to take in massive protein mass in a very dense meal means that I easily shoot over my protein target. I used to struggle to get enough vegan but now I can get to it with a steak and 3 eggs… the result is that my glucose is consistently higher than vegan eating, even though my carbs are lower. My ketones are likewise much lower and I struggle to get over 1 now.

Again, only 5 days in, so things may change but I need to find the path to carnivore with higher ketones and lower glucose (lower GKI). My plan is to control protein and increase fat to satiate sooner. That’s plan A

If that fails, I’ll move to protein cycling where I go low protein for 5 days. That’s plan B

If that fails, I’ll move to protein fasting where I go to near zero protein (but eat fat) for 5 days. That’s plan C

Really rooting for plan A to work… carrot and stick

Thank you, this is very reassuring.

(Karim Wassef) #153

today’s meal:

so doing better… back under 160g protein

I may have to cut out cheeses and sliced meats to get it under 100g.

Saturday is the next DEXA … 11am.

Caloric surpluss on carnivore low carb
(Empress of the Unexpected) #154

I can’t even fathom. Four slices of bacon and a quarter head of cabbage with butter and I am done.

(Karim Wassef) #155

I have a healthy appetite. It puts my extended multi-week fasts into perspective. :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #156

Really depressed ketones for the last two days…

Hoping the modicum of self control today shows an encouraging change tomorrow.

I mean I did keep it under 160g protein and 3000 calories… modicum is appropriate

(Karim Wassef) #157

Day 6

Ketones still depressed but weight looks stable around 180. I’m not big on short term weight meaning much but I’m not seeing the big upswing that usually comes with eating 3000+ cal.

One explanation is that my RMR is increasing proportionately.

Another is that the weight and water gain is offset with a cleansing of the digestive material from my vegan state last week - we’ll call that carni detox of fiber :smiley:

I like the aesthetics with more muscularity and muscle belly fullness.

(mole person) #158

What is normal for a more moderate protein keto for you?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #159

That’s a huge difference.

(mole person) #160

If you’re looking for an addictive high fat source of calories, I find not all cheeses are equal for me. Some, however, are so addictive that they ruin keto for me. My latest cheese love affair was with a 38% MF triple cream brie. I can stuff myself to bursting with meat and then eat ounces of that as if nothing had come before.

(Karim Wassef) #161

glucose of 70s-80s is normal for me when eating