Karim's muscle gain carnivore adventure

(Karim Wassef) #525

hmmm so I see them as opposing. here’s why:

If I’m stressed, it’s because I care “too much” about something that’s causing me stress…

It I don’t care (more “depressed”), then I care “too little”… what stress? I don’t care…

:laughing:

(Karim Wassef) #526

Something is bugging me…

Does it make sense that I would lose more lean mass eating 2200-3200 daily carnivore than I did while fasting 4 days a week and then eating vegan?

My stress level IS higher but the results don’t line up. Starting to doubt the DEXA results.

Another datapoint- my home scale aligned with DEXA every time except for my deep fasted state… and now this last reading. Strange.

Feels like I need a second opinion

Any way to untangle the difference between your stress and fat:protein ratios as far as cause and effect.
I would go for the higher ketone levels to try and relieve the depressive mood myself.

(Karim Wassef) #528

This morning, my fasted results were 100G, 0.7K. I was <20g carbs yesterday so this is harsh GNG. My protein was high so that’s part of it… hitting both supply and demand sides of the equation.

I can be fine in the 30s so this “demand” is out of my norm and pushing me back into pre-diabetic ranges, even though I’m deeply fat adapted and on keto carnivore.

I wish I could share the source of extreme stress, but it’s not time yet. Let’s just say it’s life altering.

(Karim Wassef) #529

Another night where I stayed keto <20g carbs and ended the night at 113G, 0.3K

I went over 200g on protein and my stress was out of control again… so supply and demand side GNG again.

Of course, my protein indulgence was an emotional self-calming attempt against the high stress… but the excessive protein consumption just increased my stress… what a beautiful cycle I have trapped myself in… :joy:

I’m only human, after all …

Thinking I might need a fasting day to reset… maybe Tuesday.

Without endless scrolling back…

Are you eating muscle meat only and if so is it possible you need to balance with more glycine-rich foods? Do you know your MTHFR status? Glycine supplementation re: lastest podcast

I’m looking into these things myself with renewed interest.

[added podcast link]
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/podcast/2018/01/08/why-you-need-glycine-a-panel-discussion/

(Karim Wassef) #531

I eat eggs, steak, bacon, liver, broth, fish, pork rinds, cheese, ghee and butter.

Not sure what the glycine content is or what MTHFR is either (sounds like a bad word :joy:). I’ll research it.

Sounds I should be very glycine rich - just checked.

(Karim Wassef) #532

Went to the pool with the kiddos and sat in the sun… went from 95G and 0.4K to 87G and 0.7K

Can’t bottle that unfortunately…

(Little Miss Scare-All) #533

A day well spent!! Gotta love the pool!!!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #534

Crap,I just saw this. I hope everything’s ok, homie. :hugs:

(Karim Wassef) #535

Life is a rollercoaster adventure… sometimes, it’s ramping up, and sometimes it’s slamming down. It’s exciting most of the time but can be a source of major anxiety at other times.

The short version is that I have to travel much more for work going forward and that’s exciting… but also means that I’ll be spending much less time with my girls. Unfortunately, this coincides with my oldest entering that critical age of 12+ when I feel my presence is more meaningful. I can only do so much with Skype.

Also - it’s selfishness… I just miss them and my wife too much when I’m on the road. Stress…

Add to that the dietary & exercise chaos on the road. My health deteriorates and I feel like I’m losing/wasting time as I approach my 46th year. I like my focused regimen - haven’t figured out how to do it on the road.

I’m basically pushing way out of my comfort zone and my body is revolting a bit. I need to chill it out and just go with the flow, dude… :smiley:

Anyone tried CBD? It’s the legal stuff, but I’ve dismissed it as a solution. I’m not big on alcohol or any medication (other than supplements). My best friend recommended it so I’m actually going to try it for anxiety control - and measure glucose and ketones before and after. If I see a major change in glucose, that would be a new datapoint and confirm my cortisol interaction.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #536

Yes I have many, many, many times. Even the over the counter cbd candies n products are calming. Of course, the dispensary stuff is far better, but if youre looking for it to be calming, you may be pleasantly surprised. And no high effect because the THC is primarily absent.

(Karim Wassef) #537

That’s why my friend recommended it. I’ll get some and see.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #538

Defo worth a shot, given your stress levels. May have to finagle the dosage, but if anyone can figure that part out, its you. :rofl:

(Karim Wassef) #539

Decided to start at 15mg

I’ll measure the effect and then slowly increase the dose and measure the effect.

If it works, then it should reduce my cortisol and yield better gains for my workouts.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #540

15mg is a good starting point. Will be interested to see the results.

(Karim Wassef) #541

No idea where I “lost” 7lbs or upper body. Chest and shoulders look fuller and arms definitely not shrinking.

(Karim Wassef) #542

I was a cool dude (not popular, but cool) back in high school. Hard to get me riled up.

I have the same body (if not better) that I did back then - now I just need to recover the calmness and chillitude (its a word!.. if you’re cool enough). :sunglasses:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #543

Still are. :metal:

(Karim Wassef) #544

More convinced after my heavy lifting today that my Friday DEXA & RMR was flawed somehow.

I just feel too good physically.

I’m going to try and go for another this week.