Just started and need help

(Keto Koala 🐨) #1

Hi everyone, I’ve just started keto on the 1st of 2020. I have a question, on average, how many grams of protein can I eat each meal?Or for the whole day? I used to have anorexia (but then recovered and got overweight) so i tend to worry and obcess over things. My Mum said to just not worry about how much protein and just keep carbs under 20grams and have no sugar, she did this but she was also only having 500 calories a day. I don’t weigh myself because I become too obsessed as I had an eating disorder. Just need to know on average how many grams of carbs. Thank you

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

She’s right.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #3

Yes, she lost a tonne of weight. So is this what you do? How much weight have you l lost? Mum said to keep it simple.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #4

I lost 90 lbs within about 15 months. Yes I still keep my net carbs under 20g even in maintenance mode. I just eat more fat and protein calories than I did when I was in weight loss mode. Simple is best, she’s right. Don’t overthink it. It’s easy :blush:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #5

Wow, well done on the weight loss. Thank you so much. I feel better now. As an ex anorexic I tend to get obsessed. Now I have three years of overeating on crap to undo :pensive:. So you didn’t weigh your protein on a kitchen scale?

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #6

I do use a good scale to weigh foods that aren’t easily measured otherwise, but I may be slightly OCD :blush: I worried a lot more about macros when I first started. Now all I worry about is under 20g net carbs. I don’t worry about how much fat versus protein I eat anymore. Definitely read that post I linked to if you haven’t already, it’s a good read. Best of luck!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

Becca’s my personal hero. Her transformation is awesome, but her ability to maintain and keep cool is fantastic.

Aimee, I also have an eating disorder history. Doing Atkins years ago helped me not fear eating and allowed me to feel full without the fear and guilt. It would help tremendously for you to read how and why eating low carb works. You’ll feel more comfortable if you understand what food choices are best, when to eat, etc.

Also, Dietdoctor.com is a decent resource when you’re starting out.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #8

Thank you. I don’t think I can count macros as to do that you need to weigh yourself and I can’t go down that road again after anorexia. Just going to guess. Thanks Beccs. My Mum is called Bec too.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #9

Aw love you @PetaMarie :heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #10

Whoops that was meant for someone else. Lol. Thank you for your reply. Yes, it’s hard to get rid of the eating disorder mentality. As I’m all or nothing. Will try not to be too restricting this time.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

You don’t need to calculate or use macros. You have gotten solid advice about just keeping a close watch on carbs. Eat meat and fat till you’re satisfied with the meal. Remember that the 20g. of carbohydrates isn’t s goal, it’s a limit. The lower you can keep it the better for now at least. Try to eat enough with meals that you don’t need snacking in between. If you’re hungry, eat. It’s important starting out that you eat when hungry and stop when you’re feeling satisfied, don’t overstuff yourself. Don’t worry about calories, what you choose to eat is much more important than the caloric content of the food. 200 carb calories is a world of difference from 200 fat or protein calories. Good luck going forward. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #12

Thank you SO much. Just what I needed to hear. Just joined this group today and love all the support. I have quite a lot of weight to lose. I was 40kg 3 years ago and recovered and then let myself go. I don’t know my weight because 1. It’s confronting and 2. I might get very obsessed. This is the biggest I’ve ever been and I’m afraid of going out because of it.:pensive:. I have about 10 grams of carbs a day. Looking forward to the changes and getting my confidence back. Thank you xx

(Susan) #13

Welcome to the forum, Aimee! You have already received awesome advice from everyone above, so I just wanted to welcome you and encourage you to ask any other questions that you might have along the way, as we all want to help and encourage you on your journey =).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #14

Awww Thank you so much. I have never joined an online forum before, so this is great. Everyone is so supportive with the same goal in mind. Looking forward to continuing the journey with you all :heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #15

I just saw your profile and I too want to lose a lot of weight. We can do it. Having trouble drinking 2 litres of water a day though.:joy:

(Susan) #16

I have a plastic tumbler that holds 32 ounces, so I try to make sure I drink at least 3 glasses of that a day, but sometimes I drink more. I guess it is from it being drilled into my mind that we are supposed to drink at least 8 -ounce glasses a day, which would be 64 ounces, and I just want to at least drink that much is all.

To keep my electrolytes up, I eat Pink Himalyan salt daily, and when I do that, it is easy to drink 32 ounces after swallowing that.

(Marianne) #17

Good for you. I don’t weigh myself either. Whether the scale is up or down, it still is something that can be detrimental to me. As you say, I just don’t want to obsess about it anymore. I have a general idea and that is good enough for me.

I think you wanted to know how many protein grams you should have (?). Ketokarma.com has a free macro calculator. You don’t have to put in any personal identification information or sign up, just enter your values and it will give you the number. I used protein and fat macros as a general guideline. Carbs, I like to keep well under 20g/day (total carbs).

(Keto Koala 🐨) #18

Thank you SO much xxx

I doubt you need to worry about protein. Unless you eat an insane amount of very protein rich food.
Opinions differ a bit about protein. I can’t get satiated without lots of protein so I eat as much (usually quite fatty) protein as I need. I can’t eat adequate protein on most days, I eat more, sometimes way more but it’s fine until it’s not crazy high. It doesn’t get me out of ketosis, it doesn’t harm me… I don’t eat unnecessarily much just a bit high.

If you obsess over thing regarding eating, it’s best not to worry about it if you can do it. That harms, a bit more protein isn’t unless you have some illness and can’t eat a bit too much protein without problems but you would have told so if it was the case.

There isn’t even a good number for protein per meal. I don’t know your protein need but I easily go over 100g protein in a meal sometimes (I’m a short woman with not much activity so it’s a bit more than adequate for a day) as I often eat once a day (and even if I twice, my first meal is bigger, often way bigger). Many eat way more protein than me, even in one sitting but many people do need much more I do.

(I would worry about my protein at 500 kcals a day for sure, that is hardly enough for the minimum amount of protein and fat and if it’s enough for a small, inactive one (fat and protein), it’s still starving and hard to get the other necessary nutrients. I guess it was short term but still, that is way too little.)

(Keto Koala 🐨) #20

Anotger thing im worrying about is loose skin. I’ve never had it before and lost lots of weight in the past but this is the biggest I’ve ever been. I have good genes and I’ve just turned 31 so I’m young and I look a lot younger than my age but I am scared. As I won’t be able to afford surgery. I’m scared :pensive: