Just started and I'm so hungry I could die; I don't know if this diet is right for me (advice please)

(Carpe salata!) #42

I use red wine and heavy cream with the pan fats. Works ok if you let it simmer a while - but I’ll give that cornflour a try :slight_smile:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #43

Outstanding reply!!!

(Michelle isaacson) #44

I miss my ketchup! :frowning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

That should enhance the flavor quite a bit, but in my case it’s a no-no. Yes, I know the alcohol cooks out, but if I’m aware of the presence of the wine (and I would be, if I put it in, lol), it messes with my head. And it’s a very short step from cooking with the wine to drinking it . . . . (hic!)

(Carpe salata!) #46

I hold on to a glass or 2 being beneficial.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #47

For some people. For others not so much and it’s important to respect that.

(Running from stupidity) #48

Very much this.

(Carpe salata!) #49

I agree. If I showed disrespect, please indicate it so I can edit my post.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #50

No, sorry. I just thought it bore mentioning.

(Carpe salata!) #51

Good. Good. I agree that many things are non-essential in a ketogenic eating plan. We all make our own choices. Hopefully we make good ones.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #52

The first ten days are really hard. I just kept away from the kitchen and ate cheese whenever the sugar cravings got tooo bad. I even went to the park to escape the food. Of course there was the ice cream truck. But I just kept telling my self these cravings were in response to an addiction, and I didn’t want to be an addict for the rest of my life. I always had a cheese slice on me in case, it really helped me to have the snack right there if need be. Good luck on the cravings😊 develop a strategy for the next one, they will probably get worse before they get better.

There are sugar free ketchups. I like the Heinz brand.

(Michelle isaacson) #54

@OgreZed really?? I might have to get some! I used to say I eat a little fries with my ketchup! :rofl::crazy_face:

(Running from stupidity) #55

It’s not THAT low carb :slight_smile:

(Erika Castano) #56

Is it ok to eat avocado instead of butter or coconut oil to meet daily fat intake? To be honest with you, I am afraid of fats. I feel guilty after snacking on high fat foods. I’m starting my 5th. week on Keto. Sometimes I feel great, sometimes I don’t. I’ve noticed that I am not hungry anymore. But, I still think I’m eating more greens than fat. Can someone please advise on this?

(John) #57

Yes - avocado is a great source of fat. Lots of fiber too… About 12g of total carbs in a whole Hass avocado, 9g of which is fiber.

They are also rich in potassium and vitamin C.

(Michelle isaacson) #58

@juice
Truth is I do not like potatoes and the only way I would eat them is with Ketchup.
No mashed, No fried, No gratin, No baked. I do love sweet potatoes and not with ketchup.
But I am not really missing the Sweet Potatoes right now (found my cinnamon and butter fix in my coffee).

I do like my ketchup on Steak though! Found Mustard and pickles as a decent sub. :):sunglasses:

(Running from stupidity) #59

Yes, avocados are great.

You have to retrain your brain in regards to fats. Some fats - artificial trans-fats, for example - are indeed bad and should be absolutely avoided. However, most animal fats are awesome, so go to it.

(Running from stupidity) #60

I am :frowning: Not DESPERATELY, but I see them at the market every few days when I’m there, so I can TASTE them after they’ve been roasted and blasted in a 220C oven, all caramelised and crunchy on the outside edges…

Oh well. I have thought of buying the smallest one and having a little bit of it every so often (I’m usually at about 10-12g carbs a day) but I know how impossibly bad I am at moderation, so I don’t.

As @OgreZed said above, the sugar-free ones are pretty decent, but tomatoes have a decent number of carbs, so due care and diligence is still required :slight_smile:

Say what? Per 100-gram serving, they have just slightly fewer net carbs than cauliflower or broccoli. From the USDA Food Composition Database:

Item Grams Calories Fat Net Carbs Protein
Tomatoes 100 18 0.20 2.69 0.88
Broccoli 100 28 0.35 2.76 2.98
Cauliflower 100 25 0.28 2.97 1.92