Just started and I'm so hungry I could die; I don't know if this diet is right for me (advice please)

You should check each food as you buy it but, as a general rule, you are looking for the cheaper cuts of meat. The leaner/less fat cuts, are more expensive. You want the fattier cuts, which are normally cheaper.

(Consensus is Politics) #23

I find myself occasionally wanting a snack. I think itā€™s psychological, as I was snacking at night all the time before. Especially evening time. Watching TV or reading I would want to snack on some chips, et al.

Although I still get that urge once in a while, itā€™s now met with a keto version of a snack. Black olives, keto ice cream made with HWC and coconut oil. Sometimes a handful of pepperoni slices.

(Running from stupidity) #24

Pepperoni and cream cheese.

(Consensus is Politics) #25

Well, that was inferred :sunglasses:.

By the way @juice, I took some pepperoni slices, smeared them with cream cheese, rolled each one into a tube shape, shoved that into a jumbo black olive, and then took a slice of pickled jalapeƱo and hung it around the stem of pepperoni sticking out of the olive.

Mmmm mmmmmmm.

(Running from stupidity) #26

Oh yeah :slight_smile:

(Chris) #27

Thank you everyone who replied to this! The support is amazing, I was ready to quit when I posted this and the fast responses kept me from giving it up. I appreciate all the advice on easy food to eat, if anyone has any more ideas I would love to hear them.

(Consensus is Politics) #28

I beleive someone mentioned the thread, ā€œwhat did you keto today?ā€. Itā€™s chock full of ideas and pictures of some wonderful looking food.

As you search for keto resources, be very weary. There are books out there that claim to be keto cook books, but have recipes that will kick you out of ketosis before you can say, ā€œBobs your Uncleā€. Just remember the basics. VERY LOW CARB, moderate protein (roughly 1 gram of protein per 1 kg of lean body mass) and the rest in fat. Donā€™t forget to check ingredients for hidden sugars that donā€™t get added to carbohydrates. Maltodextrine is a prime example. It raises Blood Glucose more than plain white sugar does, by nearly double!! And it doesnā€™t count as a carb for the carbs count on the label. But it will confound your ketogenic progress, and itā€™s killing diabetics. (Ok, that last one is my opinion based on how it screwed me up for a few months. But if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duckā€¦

(Todd Allen) #29

Iā€™m able to get local grass fed unpopular cuts for a fraction of the price of conventional popular cuts of meat. Instead of ribeye and t-bone I get tongue, heart, tails, liver, kidney, bones, trimmed fat, etc. plus a few inexpensive roast cuts such as chuck, tip, top and bottom. Previously I never ate offal other than hidden in sausage or processed meats and the thought of it creeped me out a bit. But after just a bit of practice Iā€™ve gotten pretty good at preparing them in ways I love and my wife mostly enjoys too. Iā€™m spending less than ever on food, enjoying it as much as ever, and my health and body composition are improving - unimaginable a couple years ago prior to keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

That is a sign of real hunger. Perhaps youā€™re not eating enough at meals? In light of lectures by Prof. Bikman and Dr. Naiman Iā€™ve watched recently, Iā€™m not so concerned anymore about getting too much protein, but I do like fat quite a bit. I make gravy and cheese sauce to put on just about everything. Iā€™m also getting quite fond of butter instead of ketchup on my ground beef.

(Pat) #31

How do you make your gravy? I love gravy and miss it on meat

You can use xanthan gum as a thickener. It works well, just use it at the end. If you heat it for an extended time it can cause a slimy texture.

(Alec) #33

When hungry, just eat bacon and eggs until not hungry. Simples.

(Ellie) #34

Keto in a nutshell! mmmmm baconā€¦:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Edith) #35

So, how are things going? Have any of the suggestions helped, and if so, what changes have you made?

Ketchup on ground beefā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦you ought to be ashamed of yourself :nauseated_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

As @NinMD mentions, you can use xanthan gum as a thickener, but itā€™s very hard to find in my area, so I decided that a teaspoon of cornstarch (it thickens better than wheat flour, so less is needed) in a pint of gravy is not really going to kill me.

So I make my roux with butter and cornstarch, add heavy cream for some volume, and then add cream cheese and cheddar if itā€™s going to be cheese sauce, or put the roux in the pan with the meat juices, for gravy. In both cases, I often find it helps smooth out the resulting sauce if I add some plain water to the mixture, especially to get the roux-and-cream to mix smoothly with the other ingredients.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Hey, progress, not perfection! :grin:

(Carrie Arnold) #39

The 1st time I tried keto I felt that way. You need more fat. If I was starving I would eat a bit ( sometimes up to 2 Tbsps of natural almond butter and a cup of unsweetened coconut milk ( Its not ideal, but itā€™s the fast, cheap and in a hurry way). Once I had enough fat I was never hungryā€¦thatā€™s what I love about Keto! Personally, I know I often tried to cut out carbs without replacing it with healthy fatsā€¦eat the fats, especially while transitioning :slight_smile: I also like to drink, and itā€™s not the same on keto at all. I donā€™t drink at all now, nor do I crave it. If you are primarily doing this to avoid carb crashes, maybe try a keto or IF in the morning hours and have carbs at night. It may work for you! If your hungry have some fat ( preferably healthy fats).

(Pat) #40

I also like to drink and thatā€™s one of my downfalls. I can do it for a few days then I weaken and have a couple of beers, wine or gin and tonic. The headache I get the next day though should put me off drinking :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Pat) #41

Thanks Iā€™ll try the xantham gum if I can find it. Cornstarch will be the next one. My gravy powder that I have been using for years has 3.3 carbs per 65ml serving 4 tablespoons. Thatā€™s too many especially as itā€™s made with white flour. Iā€™ll let you know how I get on