Just started and can't seem to get macros in line

protein

Hi everyone, so I just started Keto and it’s only to improve health. I’m 54yo, 5’10 165lbs so don’t need to lose any weight. I started riding my bicycle to work (10 miles each way) about 7 months ago to get rid of a gut that seemed to have materialized out of nowhere :slight_smile:

The bike riding made quick work of the gut and now just want to get my body in as healthy a state as possible.

My problem is the only macro I seem to be able to get in line are Carbs. Fats and Calories are too little, and proteins are too much.

Would appreciate any suggestions! Below is my Cronometer Diary from the last two days.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

You could add avacado to your hamburger.
Cook your eggs in your bacon grease and acount with at least a table spoon in your tracker.
Add mayo and oils like avacado, coconut or olive.
If you love olives like I do, I pop a few with my meals. And cheese if you can do dairy. These are all ways to get a lot of fat bang for your buck without adding a ton of volume to your meals.

(Jay AM) #3

Your net carbs are quite higher than most new ketoers at 59 versus 20. But, beyond that, butter and coconut oil everything. You could also use cream cheese, heavy cream, cheese, avocado, avocado oil. It’s very easy to add a tablespoon here or there and before you know it your fat is up nicely.

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

The two Kind bars he had that day are probably why the carbs were so high. Under 20g the next day without them.

@DOMINO I’d drop the kind bars. When starting, concentrate on getting net carbs under 20g. After that’s figured out, then you can dig into honing in the fat and protein.

(Jay AM) #5

Thanks for pointing that out. I had to click the second pic to see the carbs bar.

(Kaiden) #6

@Anniegirl9, have you tested the absorption ratio? Back in the day when I cooked eggs in olive oil, I think I was able to test it as roughly one teaspoon per egg. I’m tempted to cook bacon, pour the bacon grease into a measuring cup, record, pour it back into the pan, cook eggs, and record again. I want to be accurate because I’m doing a calorie restricted ketogenic diet as a chemopreventive for cancer.

How much fat do my eggs absorb?
(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

I think it depends how you cook both the bacon and eggs. Cooking crispy bacon tends to leave more of the bacon fat in the pan. I like mine crispy. Frying an egg won’t absorb as much as scrambling. The other day I scrambled a bunch in a pan with a good amount of bacon grease in it and it absorbed it all.

wow these are all great tips, thanks everyone! I know the Kind bars are part of the problem and am going to try to wean myself off them. Sounds like I need to get some avocados. I don’t think I’ve ever even had one before.

Yea the program has a strict mode and a relaxed mode for measuring the carbs. Right now it’s set to relaxed. Since I was having such a problem even hitting them in relaxed mode I hesitated try strict. I’m hoping I can work my way to it.

I guess I’m really just worried about the calories and protein. Do those numbers really sound right, should I really be consuming that many calories? And if so, it seems impossible to keep the protein in-line.

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

Your post caused me to do some further investigation.

@DOMINO many people find the longer they do Keto, the less hungry they become so they naturally reduce calories. In the beginning, calories don’t matter. I’ll reiterate my previous post. Work on keeping carbs under 20g net, and add lots of fat. Adding fat is what will help you feel full and teach your body to start burning it for fuel vs. glucose.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

How do you feel?

I ask because I dunno that it matters. Just keep carbs to whatever level (20, 30, 40, 50) and enjoy.

I ‘feel’ fine. The 18/6 thing came pretty easy to me (at least these first couple of days), I’ve always been kind of a light eater, but once I started riding the bike to work I got a lot hungrier and started by doing the oatmeal thing for breakfast, breakfast bars between meals, etc. Then discovered Keto and it seems to make a lot more sense.

(Candy Lind) #12

It’s UNREAL how much fat you can scramble into 2 or 3 eggs! Especially if you use the Gordon Ramsey scrambling method. Talk about YUMMY.

If you are hungry, add fat. I didn’t see Bulletproof Coffee (coffee with added fats - heavy cream, coconut oil, butter, MCT oil are the preferences of most people) in your diary - do you like coffee? Start your day with that. Tea works as well; or you can even make it “hot chocolate” by heating cream and cocoa powder, then adding some stevia or pure sucralose (as opposed to Splenda, which contains maltodextrin) to sweeten. OR, make yourself up a bunch of fat bombs (zillions of recipes, here and elsewhere) and eat one or two in the morning, and keep some handy in case you need more to get you to your preferred eating window. All that fat will keep you from eating so much protein. It looks as if you’ll have the carbs well in hand if you dump the junk bars and stick to real food.

Smart man! :star_struck:

(Fernando Urias) #13

Add a cup of hot chicken or beef broth with a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. I prefer the powder broth to the cubes because it dissolves faster than the cubes. At home, I prefer the flavor of butter but at the office, I have a container of coconut oil that does not require refrigeration. I heat the water in a Keurig coffee maker that I use for coffee, tea, or broth.